So I've been playing for 3 years now and am just having this issue. I know when you play you're supposed to keep your left thumb in the middle of the fret board(on the back). So, is it wrong if when I go to play nots on the b and e string my thumb droops over and touches the low e. I was asking because I watched a vid and this exercise was:

e|0h3h8p0

And I can seem to get my fingers to stretch that far, but I realized when I bought by thumb down I could.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
If you need a better stretch, put your thumb lower on the neck. It'll be easier for you to make the stretch.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Well yeah, the issue is it hurts when I lower my thumb, and yeah it would be easier to tap it, but later in the video he adds tapping . . .

e|0h3h8t12p3
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

no, its fine. You play how you want to and play what feels right to you.
It's not wrong at all.

You're using the "baseball bat" grip, which is technically correct. It's just that with this grip it's harder to reach the further notes.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Try experimenting with diff thumb positions and see what works for you.Sometimes when I play notes on the higher string I will keep my thumb in the middle of the neck but I point it towards the headstock for a diff angle.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
It's kind of funny, I read this thread yesterday and paid attention to my thumb last night while practicing. When I paid attention to it, it bugged the s*% out of me and actually messed me up lol. When I ignore it, I do ok. Weird. I do a combination of classical and thumb-over-the-neck routine.

Chris
Well the reason I ask is because I want to try to get to the more advance techniques, but my thumb is always stopping me from further stretching. I can go from 3 to 8 normally, but hammering seems impossible. And when I watch videos of other people doing it, it seems their fingers are always at an straight up and down, while mine are continuously slanted further . . .
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.