Hey,

I've been reading thru the posts here, and I see that all the guys "in the know" get bashed all the time about advice on buying. So I figure I'll add to the noise and ask also

I just recently started taking my guitar playing pretty seriously. I've been the lead singer in a band for quite some time and the situation arose that I'm kinda getting thrust into the position of having to play guitar. I can play (acoustics at home and whatnot) okayish. But I've never taken the time to batten down the hatches and get to the "meat and potatoes" of guitar/amp/pickup/cab flavor tasting before.

I'm doing my research though. So here is some of the basic info. It's rock music (Foo fighters, Nickelback, Jet, Oasis, Velvet Revolver, Soundgarden) type. The lead guitarist is a Les Paul player, Marshall stack. He handles all the heavy lifting. I basically have been playing one of his HSS strats lately just to compliment and fill out the sound. But I'm looking to get something to get serious with. I have about 2k to spend right now and could probably squeeze out a bit more if needed.

I'm more or less looking for the amp type/guitar type that would most compliment that heavier sound without being redundant. I'm not looking to do any solo stuff, I've generally played the acoustic guitar on stage for parts here and there but nothing more than cowboy chord stuff. I'm looking for the right stuff to give me a good palette to work with and get real serious about getting to work on my playing.

I hope I'm giving enough of a sonic picture here to at least get a few good suggestions on what direction might be the best for me to take as far as my choices go. I know its a little messed up I gotta ask this stuff in here, but hell, what do I have to lose eh?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Tim
Okay;

2k in what currency?

What is your current guitar and amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Sorry bout that

2k USA

HSS strat
Crap cheap Fender (nothing of note, I mean really too )
Okay, cool.

What I'd do is continue to use that HSS Strat, and spend at least 75% of the budget on an excellent amp. A Mesa Mark IV would handle all you want, with good cleans, crunch, and high gain, and it has some great EQage and power reduction available.

I'd say you'd benefit more from an expensive amp than an expensive guitar, by far.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.