Hi all, over the last few months my style has shifted towards melodic death metal, i love bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Sonic Syndicate and At The Gates.

I want to write melodic death metal music, but really dont know where to begin, alot of melodeath seems to have a muted downpicked riff but i really cant seem to get a handle on the basics to making my creations sound cohesive.

What are some scales or song i could learn that would help me out with learning and advancing my playing in this style?

Regards,

Kestral
use the bass string to keep your rythem on and play melody/passing notes on the rest. check out bands like all that remains as i lay dying ect...
Quote by burn the stars
use the bass string to keep your rythem on and play melody/passing notes on the rest. check out bands like all that remains as i lay dying ect...

yeah, ... don't do that, they're not melodic death metal. I don't know man, just start out with a simple heavy riff and just add more melody to it. You'll get the hang of it eventually if you just keep messing around with it until you find riffs that you like.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Mmmm, its what ive been doing, but as always, the challenge is finding something that different to whats already out there. Melodic Death Metal is a genre chock full of bands. And they all, well at least the better ones, all have their own defining qualities. I seem to be able to get the rhythm right, its just getting the riff itself to sound cool and unique. Its tricky.

Thanks for the tips though, i will definetley start playing around with that as i practice.
If youve got teh skill try to learn some of teh music you listen to, also try some BTBAM and Winds of Plague
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
What I've noticed in a lot of that stuff is that they use chromatics a tiny bit. Try to keep a steady & crunchy rhythm going while you play. I like to use the Harmonic Minor scale too, so you might want to check that out. Also try using the Melodic Minor scale too.
I do try and play some of the stuff, at the moment i cant go lower than Drop C, as i cant afford a decent setup until u get a stable job, ive been playing a few Sonic Syndicate songs as they are in Drop C, just to try and keep in time with the songs themselves to help my playing.

Thanks for that dude, will check those scales out, should have known harmonic minor.

Also, just to get some opinions, what would the preffered tuning be for melodeath? some go as low as Drop A but i think C Standard is a good one? In Flames are C Standard, but everyone else i listen to is B Standard. What is everyones thoughts on this?

And thanks for all the replies everyone