Page 1 of 2
so...i was going to post this in the something off your chest thread, but thought that maybe i should make a new thread.

So my question is this UGers, what do you think of English at school? Do you find it useful or not? Do you find it interesting? Do you find it fun?

Well I can say that I dislike English. I think its a useless subject. Granted, we speak it and therefore should be able to use it correctly, but as a senior at high school, all I seem to do is analyse films, poetry and shakespeare.

Thoughts?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
same **** each year
its given that school should teach you proper grammer and how to speak correctly..but like i said..SAME **** EACH YEAR
Now on the other hand..history imo has no purpose. You dont need it unless youre to be a politician or something.
I never read a single assigned book and I still got 80's almost every year. So, to answer your question, it's a giant f*cking sham.
i fkn hate it, as long as you can speak it you shouldnt have to do it, mandatory english to year 12 is bullsh*t
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
it isn't that bad.....its a hell of a lot better than maths.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
i know writing is essential, its definitely important to be able to write, but when in my entire life am i going to need to sit down and critically analyse a poem? me thinks never.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
i have yet to use a single thing i learned in that class in the 7 months ive been out of it. i graduated and drop all i learned to make room in my brain for the Real knowledge of the world. just take the class and do as little work as you can. you won't need anything from it besides letter writing and resumes, which you should have mastered in junior high anyway.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
I hate English class, but i kind of have to do it next year to build up enough pre-tertiary classes to get to University
Hello
grammer is so dum n y wud u evn wunt 2 waste ur tiem spellin rite or EVEN NOIN! LOL M IRITE
Quote by syk3d
i know writing is essential, its definitely important to be able to write, but when in my entire life am i going to need to sit down and critically analyse a poem? me thinks never.

I think that's more of an excersize to get you to learn how to use language.

I mean, how often do you need to life heavy iron bars? Not often, but people work out with them all the time.
I like it. Only cause I'm good at it. Which is only cause my Dad is an English teach. He works at my school infact.
I do think the ways of answering some questions is fkn stupid and over the top though.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
I LOVE ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!

As previously mentioned.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Well, I'm taking advanced/extended English next year. So clearly, yes.
The Laws Of English:

1. Anything is correct, so long as you have enough crap to back it up with.

2. If your opinion in Law 1 differs from that of the teacher's, then you are wrong.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Oh how naive some of you truly are.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
A lot of it is useful, like reading and writing, but so much of it is crap. We spent our first quarter listening to hip hop and talking about black people.
what on earth for?
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
I quite like English, but then I plan to do something to do with writing, so It's something I'm interested in. If you aren't interested it'd suck/

We did quite a few movie reviews and such this year which I agreed with quite alot
Umm, yesterday I did an 'assessment task' 15% for the HSC. It was a viewing/representing task on the topic of the 'imaginative journey'. 'nuff said. Even so, I don't mind real English, like analysing poems or creative writing or whatever. But come on .

I don't even think English has the worst end of the stick, compared to modern languages.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
imaginative journey? i know some classes doing that.... wish i was them... i'm doing physical journeys and have just finished analysing Rabbit Proof Fence.

I used to do Japanese until one day i realised that i was digging myself into a hole.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
wait, you are saying you dislike looking at poems when the lyrics to any song are forms of poetry?

does anyone else see a slight contradiction?

you learn how to correctly build a poem, and how to make it half decent. well, the lyrics are the main part of a song that people remember is it not? so English teaches you to build the most memorable part of a song, and build it well.

question.. why are you complaining about something that can potentially help you in your musical advancement?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
English is actually pretty interesting. You have to have a good teacher otherwise it's not as good, but still far from a waste of time.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Dunjma, we dont actually learn how to create poems, we just criticise everyone else's.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
so you dont learn things such as poetic techniques?
only in the context of how that particular poet is using them. we never apply these things to create our own.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
It's a lot better than Science. What a bunch of bullshit that turned out to be.

P.S. I loved English and still do. If I ever became a teacher that's the subject I would choose. Either that or History.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
really? wow... it's says your location is in Down Under.. which state/territory are you in?

in WA we look at things like how and why an author creates a poem as they do etc and learn techniques to make them ourselves. but yes i can see why you would think it would be useless.
Quote by syk3d
imaginative journey? i know some classes doing that.... wish i was them... i'm doing physical journeys and have just finished analysing Rabbit Proof Fence.

I used to do Japanese until one day i realised that i was digging myself into a hole.

You would not be wishing that in the context of you studying "On Giants' Shoulders". What non fiction text are you doing?

And I do Japanese too. !
Quote by gflip69
Dunjma: NSW.....so yeah... learning something like you are might make it more interesting, more practical, so that we can apply it, and as you said, use it with my musical knowledge.

Yamiyo: We arent doing a non-fiction text. We are given Rabbit Proof Fence, and then we get to choose any text that relates to physical journeys. I still havent decided on my additional text.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Dunjma, we dont actually learn how to create poems, we just criticise everyone else's.

You do not criticise, you analyse.

I love English so much that I'm doing a university degree in it, and will later help me get a job. So English had been quite essential.

And, by your way of looking at things, every subject is useless if you don't like it and carry it on.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

I mean in the whole course, since everyone has do to one nonfiction text or speeches/web page (lol). That's why we have to do On Giants' Shoulders.
Quote by gflip69
wow.. i knew the Australian English curriculum was bad but thats just plain laziness
well we haven't been told about having to do a non-fiction text, so I'm not entirely sure about that. We were told that we had to do the set text (rabbit proof fence) and a text of our own choosing (still not sure).
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
With the amount of essays I've had this year, no. 2000 words on one 5 line poem. No thank you.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
With the amount of essays I've had this year, no. 2000 words on one 5 line poem. No thank you.

... was it a limerick?
Quote by gflip69
Page 1 of 2