I know I know I know. "You've made several gear threads already!!" Alas, I haven't had the chance to get any of those. Which is good...because I've come across two new monsters of guitars that I want.

The PRS SE Custom Electric Guitar - 599.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370

Now, I've heard nothing but good about PRS. They look awesome to boot. I think this guitar would be a great upgrade from my current acoustic. Now, I know I should try it first, and I will. I just want to gather some information about it first.

Is it versatile? How's the feel? Durable?

or

The Schecter C1 Hellraiser
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=513105

I love the look of this guitar. It's a bit corny with the whole fancy binding, but I love it. It's slightly more expensive than the Paul Reed Smith, and it lacks a whammy bar, but it looks amazing and I love the inlays. Again, I've heard nothing bad about Schecter, only good.

Same questiosn as above apply.

Now, what would I be playing? Mostly metal, no death metal at all, but stuff like Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbat, etc.

I would also be playing blues, jazz, classic rock, and hopefully I'll get good enough to play some neo-classical shred

So i need a versatile, durable good guitar in general for mostly metal. If it were a show, it would be for metal.

How important is the whammy?

That looks about it...as for the amp, I'm getting the

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443

alongside with the

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=151304

I know this is amazingly ambitious for a guitarist that is still a beginner and only has an acoustic guitar right now, but what can I say? I'm an ambitious guy.

So whaddya guy think? Thanks in advance
I think that both are decent guitars, but i'd replace the pickups in both of them. The EMG's will be fine for stuff like Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. Not so much for jazz, blues.

The pickups in the PRS are PRS Designed and not real PRS pups so those would go. They're fine, but sound a bit thin to me.
PRS makes excellent guitars. i choose PRS over most everything else, but admittedly, i havent tried that schecter. just know that if you choose the PRS, you will get a great guitar.
how long have you been playing?

might want to get past a year or so and figure out weather or not you really want to continue playing before you invest all this money into **** like that

PRS guitars are the sexiest things ever. They sound good no matter what you're playing.

That schecter in particular is very nice, and would suit your needs for metal very well with the pickups it comes with
I've been playing on and off for about two years. I barely did anything then though, just some fun riffs but now I'm really getting absorbed by my guitar.

I've learned all the open chords, learning sevenths. I'm gonna memorize every mode/pentatonic scale and learn every note on every string just to help...

I didn't bother with theory when i first started though, so...ya.

I am going to continue playing guitar for sure, I love it too much to just dropit.

So right now I guess I just gotta try both out and see which I like more.

Thanks guys, keep it ocming.
id try them first.

personally, i absolutely hate the neck heels on the prs.

as for the hellraiser, i have heard some good stuff about them, but iv never actually played one, so i couldnt possibly comment.

perhaps taking a trip to your local guitar shop/centre and playing every guitar within you r pice range might be a good idea. even if you dont find anything you like, you will certainly get a better idea of exactly what you want in a new gutar.
I think people are hearing PRS not, PRS SE.
Note, they are good guitars, but they are no rolls royce.
Quote by Mattalac
I think people are hearing PRS not, PRS SE.
Note, they are good guitars, but they are no rolls royce.

true, theyre not the super high-end PRS guitars, but i own the Tremonti SE and its definitely a kickass guitar for the price. i still vote PRS in this, but its really up the the TS to decide.
The Hellraiser won't be good for things like blues, jazz, or classic rock. Try the Schecter C-1 Classic, it's much more versatile than the Hellraiser.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
There are very ****ty PRS SE's.. But there are some that are GREAT!
Try out some different SE models, and different guitars of the same model, and take the best,,

PRS is absolutly best buy for the money
i absolutely love the feel and look of the hellraiser. It looks quite stunning. EMG's are... just make sure you've tried them out before hand, i personally think they sound shrill and nasty... although some people swear by them.
I would go for the PRS to be honest, they're both excellent guitars but I prefer the PRS i tone, playing, and looks. I have one.
I have been very underwhelmed by all of the PRS SEs (other than the Singlecut/Tremonti).

They are very dead feeling; almost toy-like.

The Hellraiser is more suited to the music that you play.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get the Hellraiser if you play pretty much metal only
Get the C1-classic if you play everything, (but mostly metal is ok)

Both are amazing guitars, suited for different music.
WTLTL 2011
I own the SE Custom and I'm having to take it in to get it modded, as though its a good guitar and the pickups are great, the single piece bridge makes inotating extremely hard, and the tuners arent great. If ur willing to put in the extra few quid you can make a great guitar.
Also dont get the boss-me with the valveking. it'll take away from the character of the amp. you probs better of with one or two good pedals. also u sure u need the 100 watt version ? the 50 would probs do you as well maybe even better with the lower headroom. also you may want to change the speaker for a nice eminence, the stock one isnt great.
the neck on the Schecter and the pickups would be the best for metal. the PRS SE necks are similar to a Fender's, in that they're wide and fat. not great for shredding, IMO.

the EMG's could maybe play jazz with the gain turned down enough and a little playing around.

the tuners on both aren't going to be that great. but at least setting the intonation on the Schecter would be easy, as you can't change anything on the PRS SE.

personally, I would recommend the Schecter, as I've owned PRS SE and Schecter guitars. I've enjoyed both. the PRS SE will be more versatile tonally, but the Schecter does what is does really well.

there's also a Hellraiser with a floyd rose trem if you really want it. but I can't comment on those personally. I stay away from floyds.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Ok I've basically decided on the Schecter without the whammy.

As for the amp...what's wrong with it? And what's wrong with the multi-pedal thing too?

I wanna fool around with effects and stuff so I figured that would be perfect, it had everything.

As for the amp, it was around the same price as the guitar and was tube. Looked good to me...if I don't get any answers here I'm making another thread though, this is bothering me...:OP
Quote by CrushedCan
As for the amp, it was around the same price as the guitar and was tube. Looked good to me...if I don't get any answers here I'm making another thread though, this is bothering me...:OP

In audio something only sounds as good as its weakest link, and in this case it is the multi-fx. It'll sound alrite through it, but that pedal is built to emulate the tube amp sound, and cabinet its going through among the other effects. So your running the emulator through the real thing, which isnt worth ur money I wouldnt say. U'd be paying for the modeling which u mite not use, it mite be cheaper just to get a few cheap pedals and play with them.
Out of anything, PRS makes beautiful guitars. Hands down. Though I'm in love with Schecter (im getting one soon), It's your choice. I would go with schecter only because of the EMG pups and that you can get it in back without the fancy pantsy binding xD

Seriously thought, both are good buys; just close your eyes and choose one!

Good Luck!
Quote by stanleybach
The Hellraiser won't be good for things like blues, jazz, or classic rock. Try the Schecter C-1 Classic, it's much more versatile than the Hellraiser.

My old guitar is a chescter c-1 classic and its amazing, great feel, good tone, good sound. I dont know anything about the hellraiser though.
The JB/Jazz combo isn't *that* versatile.

I'd probably suggest getting a C-1 Elite/Plus and putting in your own pickups instead of getting a Classic.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Seriously, try both guitars out. Decide then. I'd suggest sticking with a fixed bridge, since you're already used to that for acoustics and are just starting out. Maybe you should consider this Schecter, which is very clean and versatile, not to mention some $150 cheaper. If you can't find them, there's always the C-1 classic. If you don't like thick necks (even if b/c of acoustics you find them familiar) you should try ESPs in the 400/500 range. Ibanezes and Jackson would be a bit of a stretch.

As for the guitar amp...wow. That'll be awesome. If you can work the Boss pedal and understand it, then it'll be worth it. You should also look into Zoom's G7.1U...same price, but it even comes with a tube and a greater number of effects. I own the little brother, then G2.1u and the sounds are impeccable.
PRS All the way. I trust them a lot more than those Schecter jobbies.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by ever dying
There are very ****ty PRS SE's.. But there are some that are GREAT!
Try out some different SE models, and different guitars of the same model, and take the best,,

PRS is absolutly best buy for the money

Bull****! I might be getting a jackson kelly (they would be another choice), but I would definitely recommend a Parker! They have some of the thinnest necks you'e ever going to find, the coil tap for the active humbuckers means extreme versatality, the headstock is killer, they're cheap! Pre-amp controls onboard!

http://parkerguitars.com/code/models/models_pseries_p44_intro.asp

don't worry about the no inlay deal - there's fret markers on the (thin) neck, and you could put some sweet stickers on , like a batman logo at 12th fret .

Seriously, you'll regret not buying one - just TRY one (if possible).

hope this helps!
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Nov 14, 2007,
I would say the Hellraiser because I have some strange prejudice against prs for some reason that I can't explain. However I would say that the prs would be more versatile out of those two models.