yo, im needing sumthing to replace my crate combo amp, cause it sucks. Looking at about 100 watts or so, not to bothered about if its solid state or tube, aslong as it sounds good for metal, ranging from industrial to more melodic stuff. It also needs to be able to sound good with a 7 string.

I already hav a good amp set up but i get sick of transporting it out to gigs and such like, so im needing sumthing easy to transport with good sound and also quite loud so it can b used at venues filled with a couple of hundered people.

my price range is up to about £600, but im willing to go bout £100 over that if the amp is really worth it.

any ideas any1?
lots of my fav players use randalls, is there any series i should look out for?
RG50TC

50 watts and all valve. It has good cleans and a lot of distortion available. A great metal amp and only costs £369 from GAK. You could also look on eBay for a used Peavey 5150, or maybe an Ashdown Fallen Angel.
I think there might be a Mesa Boog' in that price range. Oh, and Krank amps are killer too
Quote by Denthúl
RG50TC

50 watts and all valve. It has good cleans and a lot of distortion available. A great metal amp and only costs £369 from GAK. You could also look on eBay for a used Peavey 5150, or maybe an Ashdown Fallen Angel.

One of these days you're gunna come into a thread and not recommend a Randall

Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by yogurt_overdose
One of these days you're gunna come into a thread and not recommend a Randall

A good amp is a good amp. I actually like that particular Randall. For the money, it's much better than an equivalently priced SS half-stack that will do nothing but rape your ears with fizzy distortion. And I only recommend the Randall for metal. When it comes to more rock-based stuff, I generally recommend the Palomino, or the Epi Valve Jr. and a pedal.

Surprisingly, I don't think I've given the JCM900 much recommendation around here, which is a shame because it's good at what it does.

Edit: Anyway, the TS asked which Randalls they should look at and I pointed out the only one I like.

Re-edit: Speaking of VJs...how's that working out for you?
Last edited by Denthúl at Nov 13, 2007,
So you want something that sounds good, is loud, and is easy to transport? Forget it mate... if its good and loud, it'll generally weigh a ton.
This leads me to the second point... it doesn't have to be 100 watts! If you're playing to < 100 people, then you may have to use the amp alone, and a 60 watt valve will easily cover that. Anything more than that and you're gonna be mic'd by the sound engineer, and you could get away with 15.
Especially if you buy valve (and you really want to at that price range) lower wattage is better, as it allows you to hit the sweet spot without deafening yourself.
Have a look at Marshall TSLs (or possibly DSLs with a boost pedal for the extra gain you may need). An older JCM 800 or something would probably do you good with a good boost pedal as well. Unfortunately that price range is a bit tricky for amps, as you could do better than the cheap amps but you're not quite reaching the very good amps at about 800+. Are you willing to go second hand?
used 5150 combo

/thread

And you do NOT need 100 watts- 30 watts valve will fill out a gig EASILY
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
if you're looking for a good amp with great tone, you're probably going to have to separate the tubes from the solid states. solid state might be ok for practice (if you an tolerate hearing those things while practicing hours on end), but for great tone you're going to have to go the way of the tube besides, there's a big difference between the volume of a 100 watt SS head and a 100 watt valve head.

you can get good quality tube amps like traynor, fender, peavey, etc... at that price range, but if you really want something rockin, you might consider something a slightly higher category.

krank amp will cost you upwards of $2000 US. if you're going to buy that, you could get a marshall JVM which will be more versatile.

a couple of other affordable options might be

peavey 6505
genz-benz el diablo

you can also get new marshall DSL 100 head brand new these days really cheap. those sound great. another consideration might be if you like to use pedals and such. having a great clean channel can be very advantageous even for metal