So i wana learn to sight read (standard notation) but i've been playing for 8 years n my ears r fairly tuned to learning pieces. So all these books etc out there that are supposed to teach you to sight read start out with simple pieces e.g. mary had a little lamb. and because these tunes are banged into us from the time we were little kiddies and my tuned up ears, i get two notes into reading n then go off on my own coz i know the tune. I hope im making sense here. But yeh, anyone else had this problem and has a method to overcome it?
I don't know what to tell you, reading music was my downfall in school band, I was a good musician, could play just about anything they threw at me, but couldn't read music worth diddly. Sight reading was out the window completely. I knew the notes, still can sit down and figure it out note by note, but sight reading was just not there.

Practice at it, that's all I know of, "practice makes perfect" is the old adage, and it's not something you've heard all your life for no reason. Sight reading was my downfall, I just never could get the hang of it, but if you practice at it, you may be able to. Most of our high school band could play right through a piece they'd never seen before with little trouble. Always amazed me. After working at it 4 years I still probably couldn't sight read "Mary Had A Little Lamb" right...

Practice at it, that's all I know of to tell you. I had to take my sax parts home, pick them out one note at a time then memorize everything, I was that crummy at reading sheet music. And I could write it...

One question though, do you know how to read music to begin with? I probably could if I needed to, it's been over 30 years...but to be able to sight read you have to know how to read music to begin with. So that would be the first step, learn to read music, then practice at sight reading, if you don't know how to read music already or not well. From there, practice...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Are you talking about sight reading instrumental or vocal music?
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Hi

I think you don´t need material which is too easy for you.
I learned sight reading in the local music school of my town with this great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-Guitar-Volumes-Complete/dp/0876390114/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194974304&sr=8-1

This book does not beginn with too simple songs, in this book you will find more jazz exercises so you can´t do it on your own, because in this book there aren´t melodys you already now.

When I was younger I mastered this book with a teacher, but I dont´t know if its suited for autodidacts.
So when you have the book, then you just need to practise everything and I think you will master it !

I hope I´ve helped you
First step is learning to read standard notation. It's not that hard. Instead of telling
you what string and fret to play(like tab), it tells you what note to play.

Then, you need to find the note(s) on your guitar and play it.

That's all there is to it. The only way to get better at it is to do some, then do some
more.

Get yourself a Jazz book or a Real or Fake book and read away!

Also, the more you're familiar with theory and various scale patterns on the guitar,
the quicker you'll be able to read. You can recognize recurring structures in
the notation (like if you see a note on every other line of the staff a good guess is
its an arepeggio), and if you know your guitar patterns immediately translate a
whole group of notes rather than 1 by 1.
Quote by dispreferred
So i wana learn to sight read (standard notation) but i've been playing for 8 years n my ears r fairly tuned to learning pieces. So all these books etc out there that are supposed to teach you to sight read start out with simple pieces e.g. mary had a little lamb. and because these tunes are banged into us from the time we were little kiddies and my tuned up ears, i get two notes into reading n then go off on my own coz i know the tune. I hope im making sense here. But yeh, anyone else had this problem and has a method to overcome it?

buy the Berkly method 1... it recognizes that exact downfall and they've created their own tunes for you to sight read... cause if you've heard it before you don't really need to SIGHT READ....just listen. here you need to sight read to play the peices
Quote by vikramkr
I am trying to shred using power chords