im looking for a new amp at the moment
im in england so i dont know if there are any options available in the u.s that we dont have here in the uk so im sorry if this makes no sense!
i tried out a vox valvatronix amp the other week and i was blown away!
this was the 50 watt version, and as i am looking at getting a cab and head i decided on the ad100vth and a 2x12 cab they did as well.
this was perfect as in england i can get it for around about £220 (for the head)
and it sounded just like a valve amp!
but the problem lies with the fact that they dont make the 2x12 that i saw for sale with it, just the 4x12.
i have a classic mini which means i certainly dont have the room for the 4x12.
so my question is, do i go for this 2x12 by vox?
http://www.dv247.com/invt/34912/

im not sure whether it would be very suitable.
or should i go for a different make of 2x12 cab?

or should i get a different head and cab all together?
i play a wide variety of music, but mainly things like the red jumpsuit apparatus, the early november, funeral for a friend and so on, but i like a really nice clean sound too.
it should be suitable for gigs too.

thanks in advance!
What's your total budget? You don't need a half-stack - you could just get a combo instead. It means that you can get 'more' for the same amount of money.
hi, my budget is below £500 really, iv currently got a crate 212gtx, its a good amp but not as nice sounding as id like at high volumes hence why id like the vox
As your ear gets better you will realize that the Valvetronix amps do not sound just like a tube amp. Not trying to be insulting. For that much money you could get a really decent tube combo.
id prefer a head and a cab to be honest, is there any decent tube heads and a cab that i could get for my budget then?
£500 you say? used ENGL Screamer 50, New ENGL Thunder 50, used Ashdown Fallen Angel, Laney VC30.

All versatile, all awesome, the laney will need an overdrive for any heavy stuff but at the price (£300) a pedal o n top of that is no problem for you.

Also Laney GH50L + Harley Benton G212 vintage if you must have a head and combo this is an EXCELLENT choice
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
iv never heard of the harley benton amp before!
im guessing they are quite good?
it says they are specifically made for that company, they seem too cheap to be true!
so what about the valvetronix, no good?
it's just a cabinet, not an amplifier. That particular cabinet is good value for money, they make a good 5w tube amp but that's about it lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
have you ever tried one out?
are there any other heads under £300 that you would recommend?
thanks!
put simply. no. If you have £500 then get a £400 head (i.e. the laney gh50l) + the harley benton cabinet
Incredibly versatile, pretty good all-round, try before you buy, quit trying to cheap out if you can avoid it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
they are all hybrid, they also are all completely different amps. stop looking at heads just because you think it looks bad ass.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Nov 13, 2007,
the grainger hammerhead is actually ok. peavey windsor head would be worth a look too, though its cleans aren't great.

for the cab, the framus 2x12 with vintage 30's is bound to be worth a look for £200, though I haven't tried it.

not much point in getting something which "sounds just like a tube amp" (it doesn't) when you could get the real thing...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1, I always forget about the windsor
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i see what you mean, the thing is i suppose £500 would be really pushing it for me, more likely £450,
would a combo tube amp be cheaper and as good as a head and cab?
if so any recommended? has to be around 100 watt though really.
probably me being daft but i dont want to spend alot of money on an amp which isnt that much better than mine hence why i dont want a combo cos i suppose a head and cab looks more impressive.
i currently have a crate gtx212, anyone have any idea how much this would be worth second hand?
its immaculate by the way
for hard rock and metal, yes

for cleans, blues etc, no
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
hmm its worth a look!
my mates got a 2x12 combo valve king, its good but theres something about it i dont like,
would the 120watt vintage harley be better than the 200 watt normal 2x12, as its about £40 more expensive?
Quote by robbieleeson
i see what you mean, the thing is i suppose £500 would be really pushing it for me, more likely £450,
would a combo tube amp be cheaper and as good as a head and cab?
if so any recommended? has to be around 100 watt though really.
probably me being daft but i dont want to spend alot of money on an amp which isnt that much better than mine hence why i dont want a combo cos i suppose a head and cab looks more impressive.
i currently have a crate gtx212, anyone have any idea how much this would be worth second hand?
its immaculate by the way

A tube combo is a tube head + a speaker/s. You know what a head and cabinet is? A tube head plus a speaker/s
The only benefit of a head is portability (a head + a 212 is easier to transport than a 212 combo which weighs a ton) and it allows more speakers and/or different cabinets to be used.

Most combos nowadays come with an external speaker out, or an extension speaker out. This means you can attach a cabinet, so you have the best of both worlds.

You can usually get more value for money with a combo (some amps dont come in combos)
100 tube watts is too loud for you, IF you can go down to 50 then you should, unless you want cleans a lot, even then 30 watts or 50 (tube amps) could give you plenty of headroom for cleans.

If you buy a halfstackk because it looks impressive you are a fool. Refer back to my first post and look at the combos there. Laney VC-30 is only £300 and is an excellent amp. 30 tube watts will easily gig a very large bar
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by robbieleeson
hmm its worth a look!
my mates got a 2x12 combo valve king, its good but theres something about it i dont like,
would the 120watt vintage harley be better than the 200 watt normal 2x12, as its about £40 more expensive?

it is 120watt because it can HANDLE 120watts (it has 2 GOOD speakers rated at 60w)
the 200w can handle 200w (which you wont ever use) and has 2 crap speakers each rated at 100w.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
hmm because i have a classic mini i think a head and a cab may be the choice as its easier to move around, would the peavey windsor sound alot better than a valvatronix then?
il pop to a music shop tomorow and check them out i think
a combo will fit in a car the same as a head and cab. it's just easier to carry up stairs or long distances because the cabinet isn't too heavy and the head is small and manageable.

You just want a head and cab to look the part.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeahh but i have quite big seats in my mini and the cab / amp would be going in the back seats, and believe me its a hard job with a very heavy amp. itd make it easier with a lighter cab.
well that framus cab is £200 on thomann... you could afford it plus the grainger hammerhead which is £250.

best if you can try it, though (go to sound control)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
good call on the windsor actually, i forgot about that. the £200 windsor + that framus cab should be a nice setup- might as well try the grainger hammerhead too to see if you like it better.

and yeah, i just mean the framus cab- framus heads are expensive! I haven't tried the cab, but hear good things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh sorry i meant where can i find the grainger heads, i cant see them anywhere on the internet!
ah, yeah, sound control. sorry, i thought you already knew that. with any luck, you can try a windsor and hammerhead in the same shop, as SC are peavey dealers too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cheers!
does anyone have any idea how much my crate gtx 212 is worth?
its unmarked and has nothing at all wrong with it!
just basically check how much it goes for new, and then a bit less than that... i guess...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?