I've bought a peavey classic 50, which has two 12 inch speakers. The speakers have "8 ohms" printed on them. It's a great amp, and a great price too!

It has 2 speaker outputs, one labelled "8 ohms", the other "16 ohms"....currently it's connected to 16 ohms, although I can't be sure that this is correct, since a) it's 2nd-hand, and b) my friend accidentally unplugged the speaker cable and wasn't sure which one it was plugged into orginally!

Anywho, which of the 2 outputs SHOULD the speaker cable to plugged into?

Many thanks!
Not sure. Are the speakers connected in series or parallel?

If the speakers are connected in a chain, like jack=> + terminal, - Terminal to + of other speaker, = of second speaker back to the jack, it's in series, plug it into the 16 ohm jack.

I'm making a diagram for you.
Attachments:
speakerterm.jpg
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 13, 2007,
just looked at the speakers and there's a wire going from the negative of one speaker, to the positive of the other....so it's in series (right?)...so the resistance is 8+8 = 16...so it SHOULD be plugged into 16 ohm speaker output?
Ok, I'm hijacking the thread

I have a 4 ohm cab, but my fireball doesn't have a 4 ohm output... should I use 8 ohm output instead?

Its parralel wired, and 2 8 ohm speakers.. That makes it 4 ohm right?
1/8 + 1/8 =
Last edited by ever dying at Nov 13, 2007,
^NO!

Rewire them instead. What cab is it? Also can you use other options besides 4 ohms?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I can't rewire it.. Have no clue how to do it,, =\
Its home made, so no changing ohm... If i'd take off 1 speaker, would that make it 8 ohm?
You'll have to solder maybe 6 joints at most, its worth re-wiring it.

Your tone will change & you'll probably lose volume.

2 8ohm speakers can only make 4ohm or 16ohm. 2 16ohm speakers would generally be used for 8ohm. It's good advice to remember.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Well if you don't know how to do it, either find someone who does or a tech who will do it, should be VERY cheap.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009