Ok so I don't actually own a bass yet, but i will soon. I basically want to get the slap technique down on guitar so I can jump straight into it when i get my bass.
Anyway, when slapping, is your thumb supposed to point up, down, or horizontal?

And just to clarify, you DO hit the string with the side of the thumb at the joint dont you?

cheers
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
you should really get a bass,you cant slap on a guitar,it would be really hard to get it down because you need good string spacing,and it wouldnt sound good because the srtings are too thin
It's like asking "can I practice clutch control in my go-cart so when I get a car I can just jump in and drive fine?"

The answer is no. Get a bass if you want to play bass.
Quote by Alijonroth
you should really get a bass,you cant slap on a guitar,it would be really hard to get it down because you need good string spacing,and it wouldnt sound good because the srtings are too thin

You can slap on guitar, it's a bit like a banjo technique, best done on a big semi - like a Gretsch or similar.
But it's not really the same thing as on bass - the string spacing is too different and you really need to get the feel of slapping bass strings.

Although if you do manage to slap guitar you have God like powers and should just stick with that.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Yeah I kinda guessed that you can't slap on a guitar, but it wont hurt to practice. Anyway, no one actually answered my questions.....
John Frusciante
Alright then cheers. I've seen some youtubers do it otherwise, but they must have bad technique.
John Frusciante
i have my thumb facing across the strings .... kinda like driving across a highway
POST FINDER