Page 1 of 2
Has there been a rare occasion that a guitar player has played a piece of music better than the original?
The hardest part about this question is that you have to remember just how AWESOME the original was in the first place. Remember, where would the cover be without the musical genius of the person who wrote that song?! It is really a hard topic to discuss...
The Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse version of Valerie by the Zutons
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Voodoo Chile - SRV.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by Wilson6
The hardest part about this question is that you have to remember just how AWESOME the original was in the first place. Remember, where would the cover be without the musical genius of the person who wrote that song?! It is really a hard topic to discuss...

kudos man
Quote by Wilson6

The original could not have been so awesome, maybe the band that covered it completely changed it and made is so good.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
The original could not have been so awesome, maybe the band that covered it completely changed it and made is so good.

yes true but apparently they thought it was soo good that they could cover it. it wasnt their genius idea to write that song
I always considered the GnR edition of Knocking On Heavens door far superior to the original
Cum on feel the noise-queit Riot

Stairway to Heaven-Foo Fighters... haha not really, but it is funny cause they screw up a bunch of times

A change in a house of flys-Seether

I think thats about it.
Quote by JackalUK
I always considered the GnR edition of Knocking On Heavens door far superior to the original

yea but man as they say clapton is God
Quote by 67flyingv

The original was actually by Bob Dylan
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by 67flyingv

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by iSlash
The original was actually by Bob Dylan

yes but i also thought claptons verson to also be good thats what i ment haha
idk id have to say that land of confusion by disturbed is alot better than the old version, but that's just me talking
How bout Claptons version of Crossroads. Cream did it much better than Robert Johnson.
Quote by hippieboy67
How bout Claptons version of Crossroads. Cream did it much better than Robert Johnson.

amen bro it was awsome
Wat about all these hip hop artists "sampling" songs from other people and giving them no credit. Such as Sean Kingston, and Rhianna wtf. At least give credit where credit is due. As specialy on sean kingstons part. He feakin coverd led zep and gave them no credit what so ever. Jesus what are these people thinkin.
agreed bro that is totally not right. they should revoke their PRIVLIGES to do their song if their not gunna give credit
Quote by hippieboy67
Wat about all these hip hop artists "sampling" songs from other people and giving them no credit. Such as Sean Kingston, and Rhianna wtf. At least give credit where credit is due. As specialy on sean kingstons part. He feakin coverd led zep and gave them no credit what so ever. Jesus what are these people thinkin.

most rock artists don't say in the title 'cover of xxx'

the credit they'll give will be in the fine print i.e. lyrics written by xxxx, composed by xxx etc. the same as the hip hop artists do.

so rock artists are just as bad, but because you like their music it's not a problem.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Wat about sean kingston and Rhianna they have both coverd songs recently and gave the orginal artist no credit. Sean kingston coverd led zep and Rhianna coverd blue monday. Sounds like somebody needs to get sued.
When P diddy coverd led zep he let the media know and gave Jimmy Page all the Credit did sean kingston well hell no he didnt! So no its not just that type of "music" it those certain people.
Quote by hippieboy67
Wat about sean kingston and Rhianna they have both coverd songs recently and gave the orginal artist no credit. Sean kingston coverd led zep and Rhianna coverd blue monday. Sounds like somebody needs to get sued.

did you buy the albums?

chances are that in the sleeve they will have credited them in the lyrics by/composed by etc.

that's the only form of credit you can give apart from actually recording 'this is a cover of X' at the beginning of the song. and how many rock artists have done that?

chances are it's not many.

Quote by hippieboy67
When P diddy coverd led zep he let the media know and gave Jimmy Page all the Credit did sean kingston well hell no he didnt! So no its not just that type of "music" it those certain people.

show me an interview where he's taken credit for the music and the lyrics. you don't have to let the media know if they want it mentioned they'll bring it up themselves.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Nov 13, 2007,
All im sayin is that its not right. The orginal artists put alot of hard work into those songs they should be honord in better ways than all small text
Quote by Bonsaischaap
SRV playing Little wing.
Really, really no. He took one of the best songs ever written and raped it every which way he could, leaving the final result a bloody, painful insult to the ears. Derek And The Dominoes' cover and Skid Row's cover are the only two instances of anyone making an even just passable cover of Little Wing.

*Ahem*

That over with...

As far as solo guitarist-only covers go, Slash's version of The Rolling Stone's Wild Horses is up there. Joe Perry's version of The Door's The Crystal Ship is also superb.
The best cover I think would be the version of Deep Purple's When A Blind Man Cries that Richie Sambora worked on. I don't think he did it all 100% himself, but he did the majority of the track - certainly the vocals and guitar - and it far surpasses the original.
Then there's the usual - Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower always gets named of course, though personally I think the original is superior.

Really though, cover versions are rarely any good when they're done just by one or two people. There have been lots of good covers of songs by full bands, but single artists and players rarely seem to do a cover justice.
Quote by hippieboy67
All im sayin is that its not right. The orginal artists put alot of hard work into those songs they should be honord in better ways than all small text

all I'm saying is that they do the same as rock artists apart from mentioning the band in the occasional interview. and even then the topic is usually brought up by the interviewer because the audience will have an interest in that band.

so why are hip hop artists/interviewers going to talk about a band that their target audience has no interest in?

Quote by element4433
To the guy that said SRVs little wing isnt good, thats a crock of ****, opinion and all yeah but he did not ruin it it sounds beautiful the way he plays it, personall I think Vai's version (at the london astoria off the DVD) is the best as he sort of puts the two versions toghether and it's awesome. Though I love the others
Yngwie Malmsteen - Carry On Wayward Son

I love Kansas' but i like the more guitary approach from the Yngwie version.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin (Tim Curry)
Led Zeppelin - You Need Love (Willie Dixon)
Cream - Spoonful (Willie Dixon)
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe (unknown)
Van Halen - You Really Got Me (The Kinks) - Okay, not actually better, but good...
G3 - Rockin' In the Free World (Neil Young)

and finally...

Easy Star All Stars - Great Gig In The Sky
Oh, Pretty Woman - Van Halen
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
New Found Glory - Kiss Me

Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Don't think this falls into the same category but vanessa Mae comes damn close, if not surpasses Mason Williams' Classical Gas. But then again they are completely different instruments (classical guitar and a violin).
on the whole little wing concept i think the orignal was the best, but truly the song is so good you cant screw it up "that much", if you stay true to the feel. the song will always be great no matter what. But however with All along the watchtower there is no comparison Hendrixs version is way better. Thats what made me play guitar.
Page 1 of 2