It depends on what you mean by "good". There's several different mods....and the VJ already sounds good, IMO.
Increasing the brightness is probably the bare minimum you'd "need" to do.

However, it's not like amp modding is just something you jump into. You should really have a bit of experience with electronics beforehand.
It is good. Except the speaker, but I dislike 8" speakers so that's probably why. It can be cheap or expensive, depending on what mods you do to it. The simplest are things like standby switches and master volume controls, but the simplest of all (not really a modification as such) is a valve change, which can alter the tone significantly depending on what brand you go for.
does a vj sound different than a palomino v8? i want to play blues/classic rock, nothing heavy at all, some clapton, hendrix, beatles, stuff like that. which one would suit my playing style?
Both would, however I think the V8 has a gain and tone control, so that would mean you could change your sound a little more and would not necessarily need to pair the amp with an OD pedal to get overdriven sounds like you would with the Valve Jr. Also, it has a 10" speaker which is an improvement over the Valve Jr.'s 8" speaker.
If you're going for a VJ get the head/cab version, sounds far better because of the bigger speaker, and I believe it has more room and stuff for modding.

However it sounds like you haven't got much experience in this kind of stuff so a V8 would be an excellent choice. Or a used Peavey Classic 30, if you can find it in your price range.
the head and cab is out of my price range, i can fine a used vj or v8 for around 100. that is why i dont know which one i should go with.
try it out first. I cant stand the 6" speaker
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by nikeshp
the head and cab is out of my price range, i can fine a used vj or v8 for around 100. that is why i dont know which one i should go with.

what about fender champion 600?

So I guess your last thread was inconclusive?

The Palomino V8 is still the best amp in it's class, IMHO. Better speaker than the Champ and Epi, plus gain and tone controls. When it first came out, they were selling for $270 or so. I was intrigued then, but went with a VJ head instead (I have a quality cab, which makes all the difference in the world).

Now that they're much closer in price, the V8 is a no brainer. For $100 or so, it's a huge win. Especially used, as you might be coming across a Made in USA model.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
so the champion 600 is about the same as the epi vj combo, and the palomino v8 is better than them both?
stock, yeah i'd say so. the champion has a little 6" speaker which seems a bit too small for how loud it can get. people complain about speaker distortion in the vj combo, which has an 8" speaker. the palomino has a 10" speaker, and a bit more flexibility to the tone on hand.

what else is there to know? ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
is the palomino as easy to mod as the epi vj

i figure if i am not happy with the vj, i would be able to eventually mod it to whatever i want.
^ There's a whole cult of VJ modders, the more recent V8 just doesn't have that kind of history. So for now, I'd say, "no." Of course, it's also not in need of as many mods. A master volume and some sort of tone control are usually among the first mods people do to the VJ.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by nikeshp
is the palomino as easy to mod as the epi vj

i figure if i am not happy with the vj, i would be able to eventually mod it to whatever i want.

Well, again, modding a tube amplifier is no easy task, my friend.
It's not like you just open it up, twist a few knobs here, sprinkle some pixie dust there.