Poll: see below for question...
Poll Options
View poll results: see below for question...
YES! i would buy it
35 42%
NO! id leave it on the shelf
48 58%
Voters: 83.
iv noticed a lot of "i wouldnt buy that guitar cos i dont liek the way XXXX looks" around here, so...

you just picked up a guitar, and it plays sweet as hell, like it totally spoke to you. you've never played anything this nice in your life... but its one of the ugliest guitars you've ever seen in your life, from headstock to finish, everything about it is just.. eww

would you buy it?
No. I'd fnd a guitar that would be close enough and look nicer.
I want to feel proud when I look at my guitars. As for playability, you can get used to a guitar with time as long as its not too bad
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
probally, but i wouldnt gig it..

but on a serious note...theres not many "horrible looking" guitars that play absolutly amazing are there ?
well, a steinberger sort of strips off everything that's unneccesary, but you don't see a lot of people playing them.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
not really no. but if i did happen to come across one that played that amazing, i really wouldnt be concerned about its looks. id go for tone and playability any day.
When buying a guitar how it looks is just as important as how it plays.

If you don't like the look of it then why bother spending so much on it?
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by chris_kedro
well, a steinberger sort of strips off everything that's unneccesary, but you don't see a lot of people playing them.

mm, i think thats because most people don't really know about them.
Most people buy from more well known brands.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
that could be true, if they watched more Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, they might. I've never played one, but the synapse seems cool, with the double ball strings, graphite baritone neck, and rolling capo. They just look so non-powerful on stage IMO since they have no headstock or a big body.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
I don't even pick up a guitar if it doesn't appeal to me visually. I've tried playing unattractive guitars, pretty much just for the sake of doing so, and I've never found them to be enjoyable to play. Not because they have inferior hardware or are of lower build quality or anything - it's just that if I look at a guitar and it doesn't grab me right at the first glance, I just don't enjoy it as much, so I inherently put less effort into playing the thing.

For me, how a guitar looks is just as important - if not more so - than how it's made, what the quality of it's pickups, wood and hardware is, etc. If I play an ugly guitar, any skill I have goes right out the window, I don't enjoy playing it, I simply do not wish to play it. On the other hand if I like how a guitar looks, I find I'll be able to play it far better, and more importantly I end up having far more fun, and for me, having fun is why I picked up a guitar in the first place.
Quote by DieKrupps
probally, but i wouldnt gig it..

but on a serious note...theres not many "horrible looking" guitars that play absolutly amazing are there ?

My thoughts exactly.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I've had my LTD Viper 400 for a half a year now. It looks great, sounds great, but has neck dive and a rather square neck joint. A rather impulsive buy. Playability first, sound second, then aesthetics IMO.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I'd use it for recording.

When you're playing live and have a good amp that is cranked, you can pretty much get acceptable tone from any guitar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just think about it... would you want to play something that looks like its been through world war I?
i couldn't imagine something that would look so ugly that you wouldn't want it if it really played that well for you. i'm gonna buy an SG because anything i can play, sounds and feels 10x better on an SG. i could get a similarly priced les paul, which are beautiful, but i don't like as much.
Gear nut
Its not 'playability OR aesthetics' for me; there's a balance between those two AND the sound.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I wouldn't buy it, I totally agree with bokuho.
I would never get a Tele, because I really don't like its look...
On the other hand I wouldn't get a good looking guitar with bad quality/hardware... for example the cheaper guitars of Jackson... I want a KE2 or RR1! *g*

Oh, and until today I never thought I would like an LP... but a white one without pickguard is really nice! ^^ (Trivium has one btw)
From another perspective, what company would spend lots of money on "playability" and "sound" factors to then not close a sale by making it look awful?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
id play it then mod the sh!t out of it until it was aesthetically pleasing.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
to me, its the same as girls. no matter what they can do for u, if u cant look at her/it and be proud to have it, then u shouldnt have it. this may be because i am just a hobbyist, but looks come way before sound (especially cause u can do a lot of things to change the sound, change pups etc, but looks are a lot harder/impossible to fix/deal with).
I like a balance of both. I have a similar point of view when it comes to cars. An old car can be modified to perform extremely well, from acceleration, to top speed, and handling. But it might be a junkyard restoration and the car looks like a rolling piece of trash. Would I buy it? Hell no! There are plenty of other cars out there that are just beautiful and also perform very well, so I'd probably choose one of those instead.
i went to guitarmart once and had the sales guy hand me random guitars blindfolded. i had previously hated strats. i took a strat home that day. granted it was pretty and it wasnt your typical strat, but i liked it so much that i bought it. id have never picked it up otherwise. so i think looks shouldnt matter, its all about how it plays and sounds.
If it wasn't appealing I probably wouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

I woudln't buy an ugly guitar. If it wasn't ugly, maybe just not attractive, say wierd paint, a slighly odd body design, but played amazing, sure I would buy it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by DagMX
No. I'd fnd a guitar that would be close enough and look nicer.
I want to feel proud when I look at my guitars. As for playability, you can get used to a guitar with time as long as its not too bad

yea plus one, luckily i found mine :P (sig)
I'd buy it as a recording guitar if the tone was just what i needed.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've disliked the looks of the Strat my whole life. But in a few hours, I will own one. It's so easy to play, and when you hear it, it makes it rewarding to play.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Id leave it. Theres plenty awesome guitars out there, might as well get one that looks pretty AND plays/sounds great
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Green_Jelly
I've had my LTD Viper 400 for a half a year now. It looks great, sounds great, but has neck dive and a rather square neck joint. A rather impulsive buy. Playability first, sound second, then aesthetics IMO.

Hello, brother.

Although I have absolutely no regrets with mine. It was between the Viper 400 and an Ibanez RG350, and I'm glad I chose the Viper.

Anyway, like others have said, I would buy the guitar and use it for recording. I probably wouldn't use it live as I might get crap thrown at me by angry fellow guitarists. Or it would build an interesting stage persona... hrmm...
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
if i dont like it because of how it looks...i will take my time playing it and see if it grows on me.