So... the new laws in EU (don't know about the of the world) Forces the guitar manufacturers to use silver solder instead of the led.
ONE HELL to de-solder.

Any tips?
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
yeah man, new laws prevent lead content in ANY product ANYWHERE. I work as an electronics technician so its made life real difficult...
All I can say is get a hot tip iron (I use about 400-450°C) and increase your dwell time. The danger of this though is burning the board, but hey, what can you do? Good luck
Bowing down to disillusion, hats off and applause to Rogues and evolution - Incubus - Rogues
Man, life is hard Ehm I got a 15 watt iron, will it do?
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
But seriously... Why the new law? If anybody ever whould go nuts and eat circuitboards?..
// Angus Young

+1
same reason for banning a lot of e number additives, theres's a 1 in a 10000000000000000000000000000000 chance that'll give you cancer or something
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
hmmm i lucked out... ive got tons of lead solder at my house from back in the day and im hoarding it all so no sharing
It's mainly to do with the disposal of the product at the end of its lifetime (the WEEE directive). If the thing was disposed of and had moisture/damp on it, the lead could contaminate the water and the ground around it - not good.
I love silver solder. I've used it since I was about 9. It looks better on boards and doesn't tarnish, making debugging easier, even a long time after you first made something. Have you tried both methods (desoldering pump and solder wick)? I find they both work fine on a low/medium power iron.
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
The new law is to prevent lead pollution from electronic waste
Bowing down to disillusion, hats off and applause to Rogues and evolution - Incubus - Rogues
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
Have you tried both methods (desoldering pump and solder wick)? I find they both work fine on a low/medium power iron.

Yup... guess my iron is to weak (15) watt.

Lead solder for the win.
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Thewolf_and_man

Lead solder for the win.

YARR!! FTW

I hate using silver... I wonder if theres any way to to desolder all your silver in the newer guitars they make, let it drop on a plate. You could probably sell 1 guitars silver solder for 50$, then use leftover lead solder to fix the guitar back up. Of course, im not taking into account the difference in grade between silver solder and silver jewels... If anyone know if this is possible, let me know. I wanna try this lol...
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
So... the new laws in EU (don't know about the of the world) Forces the guitar manufacturers to use silver solder instead of the led.
ONE HELL to de-solder.

Any tips?
Yeah, if you're using silver solder use a respirator and a torch. although it has a high silver content, it also contains cadmium. The fumes are TOXIC. And it requires VERY high temperatures to melt.

But I really doubt you're using silver solder.

More likely you're using a RoHS approved (lead free) Tin solder that has 90% tin and various other elements such as bisumuth, antimony,

... and trace (0.1% to 0.5% by weight) amounts of silver.

The melting point is higher, but I've never had any real problem with it. I use a 45 watt element with a small chisel tip. It's easy to control the amount of heat applied by the amount of contact the tip makes with the joint. For fine work, just the corner. For medium work, the entire front edge. For coarse work a large portion of the flat side.

Whenever I trained a rookie at work, the first thing I did was take his wimpy soldering iron and throw it right in the trash. You'll do far more damage staying on a joint for a long period of time with an iron that can just barely get the joint up to temperature.

You'll have a hard time finding an excellent iron, these days. Weller bought out Ungar, but it's hard to find anyone who carries the 7000 series handles, elements, and tips that use the old Ungar design. The regular Weller line is inferior, imho. Better off with a Tenma, I think. They have a 45 watt soldering station that has a variable temperature adjustment. Not cheap, but decent quality. Having a holster for the iron, a sponge and the temperature control is a nice touch.

25 watt is barely adequate for an iron. I wouldn't suggest less than 33 watt.

You already know where it think your 15 watt iron belongs.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
But seriously... Why the new law? If anybody ever whould go nuts and eat circuitboards?..

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
same reason for banning a lot of e number additives, theres's a 1 in a 10000000000000000000000000000000 chance that'll give you cancer or something

nope, it's probably because of the environment and because of what people are doing to get it.

Also E-numbers don't just lead to cancer, they lead to a lot of other health problems as well plus i think they are addictive and lead won't give you cancer, it'll give you lead poisining. Which is just as bad, if not worse in some cases.

I doubt a lot of guitar companies use silver solder, they want the cheapest thing they can find. Which isn't silver. As someone said it's probably tin solder or something.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

You already know where it think your 15 watt iron belongs.

If you look in a telescope, you might just see it
// Angus Young

+1
^ I need a telescope to see the trash bin?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I threw it out in space you fool
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
I threw it out in space you fool

Oh, of course.
<_<
>_>

Anyway, I've got to give my shameless plug here - Goot branded irons and accessories are some of the best I've used. I highly recommend them to anybody, especially new guys getting into soldering as the gear isn't particularly that expensive.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero

<_<
>_>

What does
<_<
>_> mean?
// Angus Young

+1
It means shifty eyes, as in to avoid direct eye contact due to embarrassment.

Learn your smileys young one
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
What does
<_<
>_> mean?
Quote by JeysisKrist
It means shifty eyes, as in to avoid direct eye contact due to embarrassment.

Learn your smileys young one
Doh!

>.<
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
Man, life is hard Ehm I got a 15 watt iron, will it do?

Get a new iron. 30 watt is big enough for anything connected to a printed circuit board and most of the stuff in your guitar with the exception of the ground on the back of you pot. That needs a 40watt or more iron. To take a cover off you are looking at 60 to 80 watts. Thats why I got myself an 80 watt iron with adjustabel temp.
Not taking any online orders.