ive been playing for a few years now but mainly classic rock and blues however recently ive been bitten by the metal bug. however im unable to cope with the speed of the riffing. are there any exercises i can employ to improve this?

i currently use a vintage av1 les paul copy which is not really that great at downtuning. is it worth me buying a metal guitar? and if so what? (up to £500max)
amp wise i use a kustom 'high voltage' amp which i ma very happy with.

favourite metal bands- mastodon, megadeath, metallica, black label society, ozzy osbourne, pantera and loads more
if you dont like me kiss my arss
Minarik Inferno

It sounds surprisingly good, very full frequency response and lots of resonance.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Minarik Inferno

It sounds surprisingly good, very full frequency response and lots of resonance.

IMO that's one ugly guitar. I'm not familiar with prices over there, but if you want a good metal guitar without a trem, the ESP Viper 400 is awesome. If you want a Floyd, then go with an ESP M-400 or a Jackson RR3 or DKMG.

As for technique and all that, just grab a good book. I probably sound like a broken record by now, but Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina really helps with speed. Not just in solos but in general riffage, and plus it will get you into the wonderful world of metal soloing, my personal favorite type of guitar playing.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
get higher gage strings

i reccomend

ernie ball
skinny top heavy bottom

there great for downtuning
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

FUA, i've seen you recommend that a few times now. Is it really so good tonally that it makes up for the abysmal appearance? lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
FUA, i've seen you recommend that a few times now. Is it really so good tonally that it makes up for the abysmal appearance? lol

lol...lets not forget the Michael Kelly Patriot.

TS..id recomend a esp EC of some kind if you're a fan of the les paul body
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless