ok so i just got a crate solid state half stack and im playing through a stock gibson studio les paul and i cant get an awesome "metal tone" how should i set up the eq IE low, mid,hi and the gain and the shape which transform the tone from real distortin to a softer overdrive sound? Help me please this is my first time not stacking pedals to get my tone trying to get a less synthethic sound by losing pedals as much as possable
You need a new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
lol well im saving for the krankenstein but for now i needed something cheap i could rock on
You're going in such bad directions with your amps my friend. I'd say look for a used Mesa on Craigs list. I got my MKIII for 640.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
well i was looking into the mesa but i had a chance to play the krank and omg it blew my mind away
If a krank did that, you'll soil your own, and possibly the person next to you's pants if you try a Mesa.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
I don't think it's possible to get a balls-to-the-wall metal tone out of that Crate.. you got what you payed for, I guess..

I, personally, have been looking around for a Mesa.. or at least a 6505..
Alright, a couple things are going wrong for you my friend.

Quote by syringe
crate

IMO, Crate is like the VW of amps. And I mean when VW was cheap AND crappy. Crates are... well. Cheap. And crappy. Not gonna get a very good metal tone... or really a very good tone in general... out of most Crates.

Quote by syringe
solid state

Okay, in my mind, Crate + solid state = worse than a Spider. My guitar teacher used to have a 50W GLX that he was forced to use for the lessons. I think that is the reason I thought the Spider sounded so good when I first bought it. The GLX sounded so incredibly terrible, especially with high gain.

Quote by syringe
krankenstein

Dear god, please. Save yourself. Maybe the tubes were messed up on the floor model or something, but the Krankenstein I played at Sam Ash sounded like the result of plugging some cheap computer speakers into Bono's asshole. We tried a number of different cabs, cables, guitars... nothing could make that amp sound anything close to it's price tag. And it DEFINITELY didn't sound anything like Dimebag.

Look at a Revolution One, or a Mesa like the others are suggesting. Or maybe a 6505 or a used 5150.

Anyway, if you can't afford a new amp right now, maybe putting some of those pedals back to work is your best bet for the time being. Or just buy something like the Boss GT-8. It has some really nice distortions on it, has a built in wah pedal that can double as a volume pedal (which can be really useful IMO), and has lots of effects. It even made that GLX sound halfway decent (my guitar teacher bought one and made me jealous with it).
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
sweetness thanx guys ok well for any amp how should i set the eq?
Depends on the amp and what kind of tone you're looking for. 80's metal? Modern metal?
Quote by syringe
sweetness thanx guys ok well for any amp how should i set the eq?

It's about finding your own sound. Every amp is different, so we can't really tell you how to set your EQ to make it sound a certain way. Obviously if you scoop the mids and boost the bass/treble, it will sound like you scooped the mids and boosted the bass/treble, which seems to be what a lot of metal players do (I personally don't like that sound). But just mess around with it until you like the sound that is coming out of the speaker.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Maybe the tubes were messed up on the floor model or something, but the Krankenstein I played at Sam Ash sounded like the result of plugging some cheap computer speakers into Bono's asshole.

Sigged!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box