Page 1 of 2
I am really seriously thinking of buying Spider III 75W.I had read many good reviews about it,but also heard many bad experiences with it,so I am in dilema here.It is relatively cheap,around 300 euros,and for sure ir is better then my current amp (Fender Frontman 15W),but if I am going to buy a new amp I would rather spend more money (not much more) on somea really good amp then buy the medicre one for 300.Help please!
What music you play?

Please don't buy a Spider III 75.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
you really need to try it out and see what you like... Theres no use asking us whether we like it, because theres different opinions on it.
If you really like the effects you should get a Line 6 Spider III - Bognar...you know, the new ones that are tube powered. They just came out and they're in the same presentations as the regular spider III's.

I haven't tried them, but I love Bognar amps so they shouldn't be bad.

Although as I see it, it seems you just started playing not so long ago huh ?

If that's the case, get the line 6. It is a great practice amp. (Practicing with yourself, now if you try to practice with some friends, you'll realize it sucks, and of course, a gig is OUT of the question.)
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Try amps out on your own before reading user reviews. I'm not sure of the availability of amps in Serbia, but make the effort to try it out if you can.
id say dont get it. they sound alright but you cant really create your own tones and sounds so its all pretty dull, and the clean on the spideramps is awful but you should give it a play really and see if you like it
spiders have great cleans, all these guys are going to say is "no no spiders suck! go tubes get tubes!" but honestly for the price they sell them at theyre not that bad. compare it to the roland cube before you make any decisions though. Don't take every opinion to heart, its your decision.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Epiphone Valve Junior, Electro Harmonix Metal Muff and Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ. Should come to just about 300 Euros, and will be better than any sound you can get from a Spider.
NWOBHM?????

Buy something else.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by Pertenozzo
If you really like the effects you should get a Line 6 Spider III - Bognar...you know, the new ones that are tube powered. They just came out and they're in the same presentations as the regular spider III's.

If that's the case, get the line 6. It is a great practice amp. (Practicing with yourself, now if you try to practice with some friends, you'll realize it sucks, and of course, a gig is OUT of the question.)

The Bogner ones are essentially the same as the normal Spiders, apparently, with not much improvement over the old ones. You can do way better for the price, even in Serbia, I'm sure.
Quote by sg-rocker173
NWOBHM?????

New wave of British heavy metal. Think Iron Maiden.
Don't buy it.
Use the search function.

/pre-automated response
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Spider III 75W owner here, some what satisfied for what it is, a practice amp.

Pros: Lots of effects, rugged construction, built in tuner, line in for MP3 player.

Cons: Digital tone, the mid to low tones are lacking, for all the presets the majority are crap.

If you want a practice amp that puts out a multitude of sounds and can layer several effects it's not a bad choice. For metal or thrash a Roland would probably be a better choice. If you want all the flexability of the Spider but higher quality tone and effects it would be worth it to upgrade to a Flextone.

I've found that having used it for the last five months I'm not a fan of the distortion, I use my Digitech Metal Master pedal on the clean channels with the gain on the amp zeroed out, which doesn't sound to bad. I don't know what my upgrade path will be, once I get passed the beginer stage I may upgrade to a Flextone, or get low wattage tube amp. I'm still looking for that holy grail of a bedroom amp, which would be a 30 watt version of a 5150 with a headphone jack.
The spider is not an amp you will want to end up with, so you'd best save up a bit more and get a really great amp. I had a spider 3 75 watt, but I sold it after 3 months for a B-52 AT 112. You will most likely want to get a good tube amp. These sound much, much better than a spider.
WTLTL 2011
Well in my 'happy' country they have mostly marshalls and fenders,and recently got line 6,vox and roland (some more like Behringer or Epiphone).I was also checking for the roland cube or vox valvetronix xl,although not sure if they have valvetronix xl.I am thinking maybe even some Masrhall,but probably not tube,or atleast hybrid.
Even thought most of the people here hate spiders, they are not bad amps for the price. Because you are used to playing your fender, the spider will sound much better and which will probably make you want to buy it. I have a spider 2 and the 3 is a lot better, even though it is not the greatest. Before you buy it, please try a few higher end amps and see how those compare to the spider, and i think your mind will change pretty quick.
i would say no, i owned the spider II 30 and it was good for home practice, but go to a jam and you realise it sucks.
Iv tried the spider III......not much better, the distortions muddy and you cant even tweak it (much!).
I would say if you were lookin at a spider get the 15 or 30 watt version, because its too bad to use at a jam (or gigs!), so paying for the wattage is just throwing your money away.
Are you in a big rush? if not save your money and go straight to an amp you will keep for ages and not just one for all the bells and whistles.
Hope this helps!
I've found the valvetronix XL distortion too muddy, some people like it though.
Quote by Pertenozzo

Sorry, I highly doubt you've even tried a Bogner if you can't even spell it right.

TS, in all honesty, the Spider won't be much of an upgrade over your Fender, if at all. You'll just end up hating it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xmercyme21x
Even thought most of the people here hate spiders, they are not bad amps for the price.

Thing is, they're not- for the money or less, you can get a better amp, that's one of the main reasons why they're disliked here.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by FacingUsAll
What music you play?

Please don't buy a Spider III 75.

why is everyone against spider amps there really good. i own one and haven't had a single problem with it. Its a great begginer/intermidate amp.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
^Have you ever tried next to a better amp?
They're good for bedroom practising if you're just starting out, but a bit overpriced for that. Look at the microcube if your just starting out and that should be enough for bedroom, and when you get better safe up for a small tube combo and a good OD pedal for gigging and you can still use the microcube if you want a quiet practise session.
Quote by ibanez_2892
why is everyone against spider amps there really good. i own one and haven't had a single problem with it. Its a great begginer/intermidate amp.

i would say it maybe qualifies as a good beginner amp, not a great one. and it really does not cut it as an intermediate amp. sure the small ones are nice for practicing and getting an idea of different sounds if you are starting out, but beyond that the amp isnt good. it is overpriced, doesnt sound good, and is not resposive to the player. around 4 years ago i almost bought an original spider (which ive heard blows the II's and III's out of the water). after trying other amps that were similarly priced, there was no way i could even keep a spider on the list of things to think about considering. for the price, anything above the 15w model is not worth it.
Quote by Pertenozzo

Hmmmm, I have heard the Bognar makes terrible amps. Reinhold Bogner on the other hand is a genius. He screwed up though in his collaboration with Line 6.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I currently own a Line 6 Spider II 112, and its not that great. In my opinion its pretty toneless, and for the money you really can get something better on the market. Sure, it can go pretty loud, but it gets really muddy at high levels.

Trust me, do NOT get this, you can get something more better.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Schecter Tempest Custom
Yamaha EG-112
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior Head
Epiphone Valve Junior Cabinet
I recently got rid off my spider11 amp,, I was never happier...
save your money for a tube amp, keep practicing on the small fender
i I have a spiderIII 75 watt.

i mean, it gets some pretty cool sounds, and its fun to set it to a specific tone and play that song with the perfect tone.

but their made very cheap, i have my input jack fall into the amp at least once a week. ( but i stripped the plastic PLASTIC! nut so its kinda my fault) and its a bitch to get out.

its the next step up from a guitar package you get when you start. But if your serious about playing guitar solo or with a band, your gunna upgrade in less then a year. I got my spider three lasttt likeee idk, may? and im getting a mesa boogie f100 for gigging on xmas.

it all balls down to wether u want to spend the money for the step in between, or just go to the good stuff. But who knows? maybe u wont stick with it, so this might be your final amp. But if your gunna be starting a band AND REALLY LOVE THE 6 STRINGED WOOD THING WERE ALL HERE FOR, then i would buy a better amp=)
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Well I would really save 500,600 euros for an amp which could serve me atleast a year rather 300 for an amp which will I get bored of in few months.But the quantity of models available is my greatest problem.And also the fact that I am saving money for a new guitar (another 500 or 600 euros).I was wandering about Marshall AVT series,because there are lots of them here.
Quote by FRDesign
The AVT sucks as well. Its awful.

its not THAT bad, its better than mgs and spiders, but again anything above a low 15-30 wattage in a cheap practice amp isnt worth it.
And the AVT is ok but it has a lack of feel and depth to it.
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
its not THAT bad, its better than mgs and spiders, but again anything above a low 15-30 wattage in a cheap practice amp isnt worth it.
And the AVT is ok but it has a lack of feel and depth to it.

The AVT is just horrendously overpriced.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ilovemySG
it all balls down to wether u want to spend the money for the step in between, or just go to the good stuff. But who knows? maybe u wont stick with it, so this might be your final amp. But if your gunna be starting a band AND REALLY LOVE THE 6 STRINGED WOOD THING WERE ALL HERE FOR, then i would buy a better amp=)

Boils.

Not balls.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Boils.

Not balls.

I was going to say something about that too.
Quote by utsapp89
Roland cubes are good for practice and jamming. If you plan on playing with people the Cube 30 or 60 would be a better choice than any Spider. Go Vox Valvetronix if you're into cleaner things.
get the valvetronix ad30vt is awesome, if you have a pedal you can get pretty much any sound, it has good effects and good high gain presets and you can create you own sound to which is one thing the spider sucks at,
Page 1 of 2