Page 1 of 2
i love the boston accent. i wish i could talk like that without people thinking i'm weird.
love the australian accent ;D
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Then one with all the water around it. What's it called again...

Oh, England! That's it.
new yooirrk
Why'd you have to go and let it die

Quote by master
Go join the army. It's like an FPS without the lag.

Brooklyn, New York accents FTW!

Staten Island accents FTL!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Renka
Then one with all the water around it. What's it called again...

Oh, England! That's it.

England has just as many reigonal dialects as the US... weird when we're like a 50th of the size

And do people really talk like that in... wherever fargo was filmed? Minnesota?

I need lots of american accents for my coursework on the variations between british english and american english, someone from around those parts please tell me!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
England has just as many reigonal dialects as the US... weird when we're like a 50th of the size

I need lots of american accents for my coursework on the variations between british english and american english, someone from around those parts please tell me!

yes, people from minneSOOOOta really do talk like that. because in minnesoota, there's nathin ta doo baht goo ice fishen, dontcha know.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Yeah, they do. At least that's what I've been told.

It was awesome; everyone sounded like Peter Stormare, so he didn't need to feel ashamed about his horrible accent (don't haunt me about mine Suzie, you know that makes me cry... Manly tears, of course).

Shame the film sucked monkey balls, though.
^ ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm no
some hicks up in northern MN talk like that, city folk do not!!!!
Fargo, awesome movie, bad representation of the people of MN
Quote by schecter_guy
yes, people from minneSOOOOta really do talk like that. because in minnesoota, there's nathin ta doo baht goo ice fishen, dontcha know.

Is it quite far north then?

I really need to get a map of the U.S before I start this project and draw on the places where people have different accents.

What part of the country pronounces their /r/'s the most? is it everywhere? like waderrrrr, carrrrrr, whereas British English would say watuh, cahh, and so on.
If I've learned anything from American movies, the answer would be Fargo, North Dakota.

But not really. I'd say Boston.
For me its either BBC english or Welsh.

(For those of you living in America, Wales is the country to the west of England.)
Quote by Woolly
For me its either BBC english or Welsh.

(For those of you living in America, Wales is the country to the west of England.)

BBC Englash ant got nuffan on Bristolian, mind...
Probably Boston.

Although Greenbow, Alabama (I used Wikipedia to find out where Forrest Gump was from - I knew it was Alabama but didn't know where in Alabama) sounds pretty awesome, obviously .
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Is it quite far north then?

I really need to get a map of the U.S before I start this project and draw on the places where people have different accents.

What part of the country pronounces their /r/'s the most? is it everywhere? like waderrrrr, carrrrrr, whereas British English would say watuh, cahh, and so on.

Actually, a lot of the people who left Sweden in the 19:th and 18:th century ended up in Minnesota which is why they talk that way.

Again, that's what I've been told at any rate.
Quote by Renka
Actually, a lot of the people who left Sweden in the 19:th and 18:th century ended up in Minnesota which is why they talk that way.

Again, that's what I've been told at any rate.

You are so very useful!!

So far all I've compiled on New York English is that adding extra vowels into words is because it was all Dutch immigrants who settled there and spoke Dutch, when the country as a whole decided to speak english they all had to learn it very quickly so kept some of their old pronounciation.

And 'redneck' southern US accents are influenced by English west country accents (that's pirate speak to most of us) yarr
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You are so very useful!!

So far all I've compiled on New York English is that adding extra vowels into words is because it was all Dutch immigrants who settled there and spoke Dutch, when the country as a whole decided to speak english they all had to learn it very quickly so kept some of their old pronounciation.

And 'redneck' southern US accents are influenced by English west country accents (that's pirate speak to most of us) yarr

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I will bask in your words regardless.

It sounds to me like you've got quite a lot of knowledge on the subject already, so I doubt I could help you any "further".
^^ No I actually really didn't know that. I like to think I know a bit about scandinavian languages so I might write about vowel sound comparisons if I can find a book on it so I know it's true

Does anyone know the origins of californian accents? I used to watch the OC so I should know this but I can't think of the accent off the top of my head, haha. Is that accent pretty influential to the rest of the country, like London accents are to England?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^^ No I actually really didn't know that. I like to think I know a bit about scandinavian languages so I might write about vowel sound comparisons if I can find a book on it so I know it's true

Does anyone know the origins of californian accents? I used to watch the OC so I should know this but I can't think of the accent off the top of my head, haha. Is that accent pretty influential to the rest of the country, like London accents are to England?

Oh, aurally it's very alike. They sound incredibly "Svenglish". If you try and mix Swedish and English it'll sound just like the Minnesota accent.

EDIT: We also speak slower than you English, which has also carried over.
im bias to the Philadelphia accent... its a little bit like a New York accent, but the main thing everyone rags on us for (even though i corrected my speech a long time ago) in our pronunciation of the word "water"

in Philadelphia its "wooder"

f*cked up, isnt it?
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Bostonian is the best (not tooting my own horn) but just remember kids NEVER SAY PAHK YOUR CAH IN HAVAHD YAHD to a Bostonian, they will punch you in the face and rip your testicles off.
██████████████████████████████
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Wikipedia?

*wrinkles nose*

If they have links to journals I'll use it. I want to hear more of you yanks typing things phonetically, it's actually really useful. God I'm sad.

Noo, noo. You're not sad. You're just very, very, very boooring.
I live north of Boston so uhh Boston accents? I have a slight one, definitely not a full-on hardcore accent.
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
im bias to the Philadelphia accent... its a little bit like a New York accent, but the main thing everyone rags on us for (even though i corrected my speech a long time ago) in our pronunciation of the word "water"

in Philadelphia its "wooder"

f*cked up, isnt it?

That's why we're famous. And the funny thing is, you can't help but say that. I try to say "water", but at times I say "wudder".

We also say "buddy" a lot. And "yeah", except we stress the y like "yyyyeah" (but not in a Flava Flav way)
Last edited by thewho65 at Nov 13, 2007,
dallas. (git-r-dun)
I Like My Music Like I Like My Life

EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!
Quote by thewho65
We also say "buddy" a lot. And "yeah", except we stress the y like "yyyyeah" (but not in a Flava Flav way)

i havent heard that...
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
As far as the whole Minnesota thing goes, people don't really talk like that, but they occasionally elongate their o's so its kind of a half 'o' half 'oo.' Or make their t's a little softer like a 'd.'

I'm from Milwaukee so I've got the whole Midwest thing going on without those annoying Minnesotan ticks. I also say soda instead of pop(pop is an onomatopoeia not a noun) and bubbler instead of water fountain.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I love the boston and maine accents. I don't have an accent (I don't think...)...and I've always lived in the New England area. It's so funny to see people around town and on commercials with that accent.

"I'm gonna hit up the bah latah"

It's so sketchy.
California baby!

Thats totally tubular dude *gives hang loose sign*

Seriously, us up in northern california say "hella" "dude" and "sick" alot.

Ex.

"dude thats hella sick!"
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by snipelfritz
As far as the whole Minnesota thing goes, people don't really talk like that, but they occasionally elongate their o's so its kind of a half 'o' half 'oo.' Or make their t's a little softer like a 'd.'

I'm from Milwaukee so I've got the whole Midwest thing going on without those annoying Minnesotan ticks. I also say soda instead of pop(pop is an onomatopoeia not a noun) and bubbler instead of water fountain.

In Kansas City a bubbler is used for something else... haha. As in, a very popular drug paraphernalia. The word pop is retarded too... soda for me
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
i havent heard that...

Around where I used to live, people used to say "Yyyyyeah, I know what you mean. Almost like a Bostonian. I don't know, I guess it varies from different parts of PA.
Page 1 of 2