Hey guys I just bought a Peavey Valve King Half Stack and I play mostly Death Metal and im trying to get the most crunchy heavy sound possible. A friend told me to buy a Sonic Maximizer and another friend told me to get A EQ Pedal. Kind of the same thing. IDK. Any suggestions guys?
A Valveking ain't gonna pull off death metal with the onboard distortion... you might just need an overdrive. Unless you've got enough gain for your use?
i think you kinda answered that question yourself

a EQ is the same thing as the BBE, but it has more control over your tone.

EQ pedal IMO wins.
an sonic maximizer is sort of like an EQ....but you are mistaken red strat. maxmizers only give 2 controls over tone, lo contour and process. the lo contour is basically lows and process is basically mids-highs, although i think maximizers make anything sound greeat, mines running in my rack all the time. EQ let you shape bands of frequency, depending on how many faders there are.
You won't have enough gain for death metal I think. Consider buying an overdrive, I highly recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey OD. I found it very very good, especially considering its insignificant price tag.

The BBE is a hate/love thing. Half the people hate it, other half adores it. You will just have to try it out for your self. I haven't tried it personally, so I can't say where its at.

As for an equalizer, it is always good to have one. The additional tweaking can make a great sound phenomenal. You could always get a good equalizer, and get the BBE later if you still feel the need. I think most people would agree that it is always useful to have a good EQ, while this is not the case for a BBE.

I have no experience with EQs, so I can't really recommend one. I did try a few pedal versions and those seemed to add a lot of noise. Maybe I was unlucky, or you should get a rack version.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by htsktim91989
an sonic maximizer is sort of like an EQ....but you are mistaken red strat. maxmizers only give 2 controls over tone, lo contour and process. the lo contour is basically lows and process is basically mids-highs, although i think maximizers make anything sound greeat, mines running in my rack all the time. EQ let you shape bands of frequency, depending on how many faders there are.

isn't that basically what i said ?
lol thanks guys. Your right though I definitly dont have enough Gain for death metal right now. Once I turn it up past volume three it starts to sound kinda wirey. I was playing "Legends Never Die" By ABRB and it sounded like ****...I was soo mad since I just spent $1300 on sumthing that wasnt giving me the sound I wanted. But from what ppl are telling me I believe I can get the sound I want with a BBE or EQ.
Quote by Artorious
lol thanks guys. Your right though I definitly dont have enough Gain for death metal right now. Once I turn it up past volume three it starts to sound kinda wirey. I was playing "Legends Never Die" By ABRB and it sounded like ****...I was soo mad since I just spent $1300 on sumthing that wasnt giving me the sound I wanted. But from what ppl are telling me I believe I can get the sound I want with a BBE or EQ.

wowow, an EQ won"t give you more gain.
you need some kind of boost for that (OD, clean boost, distortion).
an EQ only shapes the sound. ( cuts out, diminishes certain frequencies you don't want in your sound)
Quote by htsktim91989

The Sonic Maximizers DO NOT touch the mid range. There's the lo contour and process knobs. The lo contour knob adjusts the low end frequencies and the process knob adjusts the high end frequencies. It will sound like an EQ to most, but it's really correcting the phasing of low and high frequencies and the rate at which you hear them together. You will have a tighter sound if you adjust it correctly, but if you're looking to further tweak your tone go with an EQ.
i have one on sale at my junkyard. check it out. i got some description on how it works there too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sounds like I should just buy both...=P What about that Digitech Bad Monkey OD what exactly will that do?
it will add overdrive to your signal.
the sound of a cranked tube amp.

for the difference between OD and distortion:
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

o styles
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion is, sound wise anyways, a very extreme version of overdrive. That?s why a lot people think they're hearing distortion when they hear overdrive.>/br> Distortion cuts off the extreme high and low frequencies. In other words, it eliminates the highest highs and lowest lows, creating a distortion effect. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

o styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of
A lot of people like the Dan Electro EQ pedal. Seems to be a great bang for the buck. And their only good pedal. Lol. I think they run around 20 bucks, if you buy that for now, you could always get whatever else you wanted, either the BBE or the OD, and if you don't like the DE just either return it or sell it. What's a 10 dollar loss really...?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Thanks alot you guys this thread was alot of help. I think im going to buy Both EQ and the Maximizer. I just want my Guitar to sound like Kerry King's or Brian Eschbach's through my VK.
waste of money. a good eq pedal will do anything the sonic maximizer can and more. and it wont sound like processed shyte while doing it.
An EQ will give you distortion because by boasting the frequencies, you get more volume and push the tubes more. Plus most EQ's have a level control which controls the level of frequency boasting/cutting which can give you more gain.
12 fret fury
Quote by TehJermie
waste of money. a good eq pedal will do anything the sonic maximizer can and more. and it wont sound like processed shyte while doing it.

Exactly.

In my old band, we used to have a Maximizer, then we got a 32 band EQ and could no longer tell the difference between when the Maximizer was on or off. Waste of money when you can buy an EQ and get better results (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
In your situation, I would personally buy an OD (the bad monkey would be good for you) and a good EQ. This should solve your problem entirely.

If you still want more, you should first try out the maximizer, and if you like it buy it. Chances are, you won't be needing it anymore if you have an EQ though.

Either way, an OD is a must if you want death metal on a VK
WTLTL 2011
WowO I just got back from GC and I played with a rack version BBE and it was sic. Its alot more user friendly too just 2 knobs...and when the dude turned it on it made a world of difference. Once again thnx for all the input guys.
get the MXR 10-band EQ, or the Maxon OD-9/OD-9+ mmmm
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore