As you can see from my sig, I need a new amp. Or at least something to make mine sound decent at high volume levels (I play in a band). I was thinking about saving up for a Vox AD100VT-XL, but then I remembered this nifty pedal. My old guitar teacher has one, and it makes his cruddy little 50W Crate GLX sound like a damn fine amp.

Does anyone have any experience with this pedal? I like lots of effects. Would it make my Spider stop sounding like piss when I turn it up loud enough to hear over drums, a bass, another guitar, and a singer? My genre is heavy metal BTW, but I would like some good cleans too. I love versatility as we do a few covers.

Thoughts?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
The problem is you already have a modelling amp. Two modellers in series sound pretty crap because they eac have a different way of changing the sound. So I say save up for a better amp like the Vox instead
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Nov 13, 2007,
I agree with Dag. The Spider amps already have effects built into the amp and using the GT-8 would make it sound probably garbled due to the mixture of effects
^^^not really...because if he was using a gt8 he wouldnt have need for the use of the spiders effects.
as for cutting through the band...it would help alot, i had a simillar problem so i just dial in a tone with HIGH mids to cut through easily.
you can use the acoutic processor on the gt8 to give you a nice lush sounding clean.
best piece of fx ive ever bought...you wont be disappointed.
Quote by x Misanthropy x
^^^not really...because if he was using a gt8 he wouldnt have need for the use of the spiders effects.
as for cutting through the band...it would help alot, i had a simillar problem so i just dial in a tone with HIGH mids to cut through easily.
you can use the acoutic processor on the gt8 to give you a nice lush sounding clean.
best piece of fx ive ever bought...you wont be disappointed.

He doesn't have another amp to play through...

He could play through some speakers though
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I wouldn't be using any of the Spider's effects while using the GT-8.

I need better tone than my Spider can provide. Can the GT-8 actually give me that? Or should I just stick with the Vox, since it has tubes to help it with it's tone?
bad idea

get a new amp

i leave my gt6 at my friends house were his dad has a fender twin he lets me use

i tried using my gt6 with my spider and it was like two little kids screaming at each other

i had so much random feedback and crap tone
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by mafropetee
I wouldn't be using any of the Spider's effects while using the GT-8.

I need better tone than my Spider can provide. Can the GT-8 actually give me that? Or should I just stick with the Vox, since it has tubes to help it with it's tone?

I'm not sureyou understand how the Spider works. Its a constant modeller. Even the clean channel is a model of something. Theres no real 'bypass' function on it.
The clean channel also has this annoying reverb that is impossible to get rid of.

I've plugged MFXs into a spider before and they sound crap. THe only nice sound I could get is this sort of epic maidenesque sound but the spider pushes the sound too far into the mix.

If you get the GT-8, you either need to go direct to PA or get a nice amp that doesnt do amp modelling.

Or you could get a cheaper MFX and get a decent amp. You ca get a digitech rp250 pretty cheap and that'll leave you wiht tons of cash for an amp. If you want something larger, get a korg 3000 (i think it was).

Trust me, an MFX through a spider is pure crap.You'll only push yourself furthur out of the mix.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i have a gt-8 and use it with the amp in my sig (which has built in effects), however what i always did, when gigging, was put my amp on a clean sound and used the effects on my gt8, or bypassed my gt-8 and used my amp when necessary!! worked fine!! sounded good!!
*ESP Viper 400 (Olympic White)
*Marshall AVT275
*Boss GT-8
*Burns Red Special Replica (original colours)
*Marshall MG10CD
*Vox 10watt preamp (for creating Brian May replica sounds)
*Fender Squire Strat (red w/ white scratch plate) - My 1st
Alright thanks. I never really cared to figure out how the Spider works. Because... well. If it bursted into flames right now, that would be alright with me. I just hate it so much.

So I guess its the Vox for me. No problem. I love that amp. The extra money is pretty justified in my eyes.
The GT-8 is the best guitar accessory I have ever used.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by mafropetee
Alright thanks. I never really cared to figure out how the Spider works. Because... well. If it bursted into flames right now, that would be alright with me. I just hate it so much.

So I guess its the Vox for me. No problem. I love that amp. The extra money is pretty justified in my eyes.

The Vox supports a footswitch. Get that along with it.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The GT-8 is a great investment, but it won't do you any good with the amp you've got. I know this first hand. A friend of mine has the Spider II 112 and he wanted to try my GT-8 out on it...it's just impossible to find a halfway decent sound out of that amp. The speaker is specifically voiced for the modeling features of the amp and it doesn't react well to anything. I would vote you look used and see about a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which would give you a great two channel tube amp and a great platform for the GT-8 should you decide to get one later on. If you want to learn more about this equipment combination, take a look at my GT-8 thread (link in sig).