right now I have an ashdown mag300 410 combo, which is far too big and not portable enough for me. I'm living in a college dorm and I need something loud and portable for practice and pub/bar gigs. I'm going to trade in the ashdown and I was thinking about getting the ampeg ba115(t?). I'm not sure if the tube is worth the extra money, and if i get the cheaper amp, the shop will probably give me cash, a whammy pedal, or a wireless system (akg bug) to make up the difference in value. Should I get this amp? Its for pop punk and ska, and I have a fender p with a dimarzio humbucker. Thanks!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The ampeg is a nice little amp. A couple of the regulars here have them.

bug wireless systems seem to detract from the tone of the bass an awful lot. If you want to go wireless get a decent strap mounted professional one.

I wouldn't bother with the tube, in my experience of a single tube in a preamp, it doesn't make the tone more tube like and is more unreliable than SS. It just seems to be something they can jack the price up over.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
hmm sounds good. The bug is for my guitar, not the bass, but I'll keep that in mind.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Jonnomainman
The ampeg is a nice little amp. A couple of the regulars here have them.

bug wireless systems seem to detract from the tone of the bass an awful lot. If you want to go wireless get a decent strap mounted professional one.

I wouldn't bother with the tube, in my experience of a single tube in a preamp, it doesn't make the tone more tube like and is more unreliable than SS. It just seems to be something they can jack the price up over.

Well, in my experience, I found that tube preamps have a little louder volume at the same wattage at the same levels. Nothing to write home about - and apparently it's more for distortion.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Well, in my experience, I found that tube preamps have a little louder volume at the same wattage at the same levels. Nothing to write home about - and apparently it's more for distortion.

Granted it does add a little more warmth to the distortion and more control (at least in the AVT Marshall amps compared to their older SS (not MGs)) but who wants that in a bass amp?

Having played both SS and all valve bass amps, "hybrid" amps not seem to want to belong to SS but are never true valve amps. You won't get the warmth as you would expect from an all valve monster and I think it's a bit of gimmick really.

In the UK the price difference between the "T" model and all SS model is £80 and I don't think the valve makes up that value. If you tried both out next to each other there probably wouldn't be much difference and certainly not £80 difference.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9