Poll: Which version of "Holy diver" do you like?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which version of "Holy diver" do you like?
Dio's Original
34 76%
Killswitch's Cover
9 20%
I can't decide.
2 4%
Voters: 45.
There is no flow in Killswitch version...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
??? what's the point of this thread ???
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
??? what's the point of this thread ???

Are you serious...?
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
im dead serious, besides failing what is the point of this thread? not only could you have posted this in the pit, but you could've put it in the DIO thread or a KSE thread in the hardcore forum.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
As usual, the original is better than the cover. The only times that a cover can be better is if the original song was truly awful. But seeing as people only normally cover famous or well known songs, they are usually pretty good already and the cover artist clearly never beat it. (though, its not normally the intention of the cover artist to play a "better" version, they just want to play it either for fun or for money.)

Thus, no to killswitch and hell yes to Dio.
no fucking contest
Dio, hands down
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

wat?
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Quote by shredhead22
im dead serious, besides failing what is the point of this thread? not only could you have posted this in the pit, but you could've put it in the DIO thread or a KSE thread in the hardcore forum.

If he posted in the KSE thread then everyone would pick the KSE cover and the same with Dio. I like the original better but I do think it was a good cover by KSE.
dio's is better easy.
"Their eyes, black in kingdoms of gold, like the rocks of this desert, where we wander in circles, tails up the ass of time..."
Last edited by nuncautnumquam at Nov 13, 2007,
I like the Killswitch cover, but Dio's will always be better. Mainly because of his voice. But that said, Killswitch did a great job, and this is coming from a guy who hates most of their original material.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by Ions
If he posted in the KSE thread then everyone would pick the KSE cover and the same with Dio. I like the original better but I do think it was a good cover by KSE.

as unbiased as KSE vs. DIO in the metal forum?
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i dont like KSE's cover much
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
It's a decent cover from a bad band. Original is way better of course.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by Eladamri
Original all the way. No one who voted Killswitch posted I notice. Pussys.

Well I guess I'll be the first then. I'm not a real big fan of KSE but I love this cover. Even more so than the original.
i don't like KSE at all but this is not a bad cover by any means. dio's is still better but KSE did the song some justice, even if it's from a ****ty metalcore angle
Dio for sure.

Killswitch sucks, they ruined the song. I hope Ronnie take the royalties from the Killswitch song and uses it to have them wiped out from the face of the earth.
The cover isn't that bad. Jesus christ. I'm guessing most of you are just trying to seem like "true" metalheads, so you won't even try to find anything good in the cover.

For the most part, I think it was very well done, although that breakdown-ish part was a bit unecessary.
It's not a bad cover at all, but Killswitch can't even come close to Dio. Holy Diver is one of the great classics of metal, and the cover works as a good tribute, but to say it's better is ludicrous. The pinch harmonics bring the new one down though in my opinion.
I refuse to listen to Killswitch Engage's cover of this wonderful song on the basis that I hate the band's name and I have a feeling that it's going to suck horribly.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Kepulix
no fucking contest
Dio, hands down

+1, I'm not saying this because I don't like Killswitch, but I think they butchered that song to shit. Their singer is talented, but it is still a bad cover. It has no flow at all and they ruined the rythym of the song.
I like KSE better, sue me

The singer may be the only weak point (scream = bad here), but the song was modernized, which is why I perfered it.