I've been asking about this amp for a while now because I've been interested in buying the 30 watt version but have heard little input about it. it's been out for a few months so I figured maybe some of you folks have had some experience with them. I play mostly metal and am getting into thrash and death metal and need a cheap, yet decent upgrade from my 15 watt amp. so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the xl would be a good choice for me.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I think itll be good. Its supposed to be the high-gain version of a normal ValveTronix. So for thrash and metal in general, it should be good.
yeah that's what it seems like to me but I need someone with hands-on experience with the amp to tell me about its capabilities. I have no job and barely any money, but I'm dying for a new amp and there are no music stores around here so I pretty much have to make a choice based on word of mouth.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I got one last weekend, its really good. I play Mostly metallica and its perfect. Go to your local store and test it out if you can. For a good metal tone crank up the gain, treble to 7 and use the trashed or black setting. It sounds awsome.
alright thanks man. I'm mostly concerned about whether or not it has enough gain for extreme metal and if it produces feedback when cranked, because I don't wanna have to buy any additional pedals.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by xriest
I got one last weekend, its really good. I play Mostly metallica and its perfect. Go to your local store and test it out if you can. For a good metal tone crank up the gain, treble to 7 and use the trashed or black setting. It sounds awsome.

Go try it out, I found it to be a bit to muddy for my tastes.
I said I don't have anywhere to try one out unless I go all the way to the other side of the state
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
im trying to decided bettewn it and a ibnz valbee ^^ im going for the valbee, alltube highgain and 5w is enough for me
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

In that case, I think the Roland Cube would be a better choice for metal.
I considered the cube at first but I've heard some bad things about it and the vox seems to have better features
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
So I take it you are going to get the amp via mail order? If so, purchase from somewhere that has a good return policy if you end up not liking it.
when I buy an amp it will more than likely be from musician's friend, I wanna make a good choice though so I won't have to waste time returning anything. and please explain why you think the cube would be a better choice.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Two reasons. The first is I thought the XL's distortion was too muddy and not very defined. The second is that I found the build quality wasn't very good. I haven't tried out the Roland personally, but I liked the sound samples I have heard. The Roland is probably the most recommend solid state amp for metal here at UG. The Vox is probably more versatile for different styles.
I have also heard the XL is a bit muddy, but I've havn't tried it yet so don't go by what I say.
But I do own a Cube, I have no complaints with it other then you don't have to much control over the FX, but you do have enough control to dial in a good sound.
The Cube would defintally be good for metal though.
thanks guys. I was more interested in the vox because it has a noise suppressor, an attenuator, and you can save settings; features the cube doesn't have. I guess I'll have to find some way to try them both out though.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
oh sweet, I think I might actually go for the cube then since everyone says the distortion and tone are good. and the only complaint I've heard is about the effects, but I don't really need effects.

you own one XibanezedgeX, so can you tell me if there's any feedback? I doubt I'd be taking it past 3 or 4 much though since it's a 60 watter, but I might crank it every now and then.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rhettro
Two reasons. The first is I thought the XL's distortion was too muddy and not very defined. The second is that I found the build quality wasn't very good. I haven't tried out the Roland personally, but I liked the sound samples I have heard. The Roland is probably the most recommend solid state amp for metal here at UG. The Vox is probably more versatile for different styles.

your talking about the vox valvetronix series, he asked about the vox valvetronix xl series, wich is not versatile since it only has 2 clean channels and a bunch of distortion channels, not much is known about theyr quality yet, but probably the cube will be better ^^
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
your talking about the vox valvetronix series, he asked about the vox valvetronix xl series, wich is not versatile since it only has 2 clean channels and a bunch of distortion channels, not much is known about theyr quality yet, but probably the cube will be better ^^

I'm talking about both actually. I tried the XL and didn't like the distortion at all even though it had a multitude of different ones. I haven't tried the none XL Valvetronix, but they have a reputation of being versitle. But honestly, if you want to play Blues get an amp with tubes. For high gain metal, the Roland gets a lot of praise here.
To my ear the Roland has a better tone all the way around.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I am a modeling amp/digital hater, but I have to say the effects on the Cube weren't half bad.
I thought the Vox-XL was much better than the Cube for metal...I ended up buying the 30 watt XL version.

I can't say I find the distortion to be muddy, but my guitar is pretty bright sounding.

As most of the models are high gain there is no need to crank the gain all the way up, if you do then it will start to get muddy, but you find that with most (solid state) amps.
thanks guys

I just read all the specs on the cube 60 though and it mentions nothing about an attenuator
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by mazohysthoney at Nov 14, 2007,
i think the cube would be alot better. the r-flier setting doesn't get feedbacky even when i have my micro cubes volume fully up. its a really tight, high gain setting, and then there is classic stack, not as heavy but sexy nonetheless