There is a local battle here and they are charging every band 50 to play and charging 8 for tickets i think thats kinda messed up. I could understand if they charged the band and then didn't charge the audience because then the band would be paying for the stage, but the venue is two way charging. what do you guys think?
Well that's pretty retarded-sounding to me.

Typically, for BOTBs, they just charge the audience, and reward the best band a certain percentage of the money they took in from the audience.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
No.

It means only serious bands can play, not just any little n00bs.

And if they are good, they'll sell more than enough tickets to make it up.
Quote by xxtrigger
*shrugs* Well it makes perfect sense to me actually.

filthy capitalist

LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION
Quote by Td_Nights
Well that's pretty retarded-sounding to me.

Typically, for BOTBs, they just charge the audience, and reward the best band a certain percentage of the money they took in from the audience.

Thats what i thought to, the winner gets 500 and footage of there show, when i complained to the guy about him charging he used that in his defence, well what about the other bands who get no footage, how is it benefitting them at all, the venue will probably sell it and not share the profits, and id rather they had no video and no entrance fees.
Well... The winning band will properly get more money this way? The winner takes it all.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by Vermintide
No.

It means only serious bands can play, not just any little n00bs.

And if they are good, they'll sell more than enough tickets to make it up.

not necassarily they have to win in order to get anything at all, what if there were a couple of really good bands? also they did require an audition for it in addition to the entrance fee to be sure no noobs would enter.
Quote by teh_Beatles
Well... The winning band will properly get more money this way? The winner takes it all.

there only taking the other bands money in a rertrospect, and capitilism is great and all but i feel this is retarded, a live show classifys as work, some people do it for a living, its like someone charging you to do construction work for them and if you do the best you get some money but are still being ripped off.
Quote by charliec364
not necassarily they have to win in order to get anything at all, what if there were a couple of really good bands? also they did require an audition for it in addition to the entrance fee to be sure no noobs would enter.

In a BOTB situation it can be a bit ****ed, but paying for slots on a regular gig makes sense. A bar relies on having decent entertainment to bring in customers, so if all they have playing is a group of 15 year old punk wannabes, they're in the ****ter. They want a little upfront to ensure they're getting quality.
Quote by Vermintide
In a BOTB situation it can be a bit ****ed, but paying for slots on a regular gig makes sense. A bar relies on having decent entertainment to bring in customers, so if all they have playing is a group of 15 year old punk wannabes, they're in the ****ter. They want a little upfront to ensure they're getting quality.

Even then they should really just do some backround research before hiring some random band.
psh, thats NOTHING compared to what my band does.

Every show we play (usually once or twice a week) we have to sell presale tickets. ITS A BITCH. Usually its a minimum of 20 tickets you have to sell, but sometimes it can get into the 100's, depending on how big the show is. We have to go up to kids in our school and ask them if they want to buy a ticket to our show $10 a piece. They never do. Its fucking hard. Somehow we manage to sell them, but when we don't, we just buy the tickets ourselves and give them the cash.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Last edited by CrashedTheShow3 at Nov 13, 2007,
I've heard of that happening yeah that does sound even worse, but its all bad and why put up with it, just play at a different venue whenever they do that its a scam and nothing more then greed.
Quote by charliec364
Even then they should really just do some backround research before hiring some random band.

Which equals time and money.

The best idea is to send a DVD of your band playing another gig or rehearsing, but mostly they don't have time for an audition.

So instead they use the logic that serious, adult bands will have the money for a booking fee; teenage noobs won't Plus, more bars now rely on the band for publicity. Since rock isn't as big these days, live music isn't as crucial as it once was, and the way it worls reflects this.

It's gonna come back though. Piracy man. Moar of it.
For a gig that is absolutely not forgivable when asked for money.

But since this is battle of the bands then I guess it is "acceptable"
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
yeah i should have typed the dvd thing instead thats kinda what i had in mind, live music is still somewhat big and its not like you go see a rap act at a bar, jazz is really rocks only competition in the local venue department. and how are the teenage noobs souposed to develop into adult bands if they can't get any gigs?
Quote by charliec364
there only taking the other bands money in a rertrospect, and capitilism is great and all but i feel this is retarded, a live show classifys as work, some people do it for a living, its like someone charging you to do construction work for them and if you do the best you get some money but are still being ripped off.

It doesn't really. Most of the people in band I know call it a HOBBY, and as such don't really mind up-front fees(which are often refunded if the bar takes a set amount during the show).
And anyone who plays music for a living is unlikely to rely on winning BOTB in order to make ends meet. and if they are, they're in the wrong job.
I suppose if the bands unknown, the might have to pay for their first chance and a bit of exposure, but I'm still against the concept - and greedy businessmen in general.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Shredder6
For a gig that is absolutely not forgivable when asked for money.

But since this is battle of the bands then I guess it is "acceptable"

Briefly i considered looking at it as if it was a local pool tournament. you pay 5 bucks to enter and if you win you get 100 very resonable, but this isn't. Because the venue is making money off of the competition, if they took the pot of all the entry fees and split it with the band it would be fair, but as i said they are charging at the door. its like if it were the same pool tournment and then the bar charged money to watch it.