So yea...Ive had job interviews for one of the worlds biggest Pharma companies today and hopefully in a week or 2 I may have a place,

Ethics of charging so much for a medicine.

Discuss
i think for everyday pills and such, the prices are fine.

but for certain life savings medicines, here in aus, the government needs to better subsidise
Quote by zappp
Sammi-Ellen is my australian (wish i had aborted) daughter!!
So long as you don't work closely with lobbyists, I don't think there's much of an issue.
I'm a communist. Really.
The second pill off the production line costs only a few pence, if that. The first one can cost tens of millions of pounds.
If meds were cheap, noone could afford to develop new ones. Thus medicines have to be patent protected, and expensive. Unless you want docs to either put leeches on it or saw it off.
The morning after pill is incredibly expensive...£25 for one tiny pill (and it may cause sickness, if you vomit within 3 hours you have to go and buy another one...)

Unfortunately, if no one pays for the medicine, there'll be no money to make the medicine in the first place.

Slightly unrelated but I'm annoyed with those saying that the vaccine for cervical cancer will promote promiscuity in young girls. Excuse me? To be honest, I don't know any girls who don't want to have sex because they're worried about getting cervical cancer. I didn't even know it existed until all this talk about it in the media. They say that it MIGHT be offered to girls aged 13-14...but no-one else. Because of course, every girls over the age of 14 is sexually active...
With 1 in 10 people affected by cancer how can they deny young girls a chance to be vaccinated against one form of cancer? I personally think it should be given at school (like the TB jab was, they've stopped that now because TB is on the decline even though its meant to be increasing in numbers among the homeless)....

yeah that pretty much went nowhere xD how useless hehe...
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

So long as money goes into researching more.

I'm not against them taking money for it; everyone has to earn a living.

It's that they don't look for cures, only treatments; thus securing long term income at the expense of patient's quality of life. That's definitely a little immoral.
Last edited by Vermintide at Nov 13, 2007,
personally I think that prices of medicine should vary based on the cost that reasonable people can afford, prices in western developed countries are OK when you consider the R&D costs, however in 3rd world countries the companies should still be allowed to make a proit, but when they make 10000% profit its just crazy, 50% profit shold be fine for them.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Quote by Vermintide
So long as money goes into researching more.

I'm not against them taking money for it; everyone has to earn a living.

It's that they don't look for cures, only treatments; thus securing long term income at the expense of patient's quality of life. That's definitely a little immoral.

But without the epic profits that they draw in alot of researd would not be possible

One company, Eli Lilly spends $12 million PER DAY on pharmaceutical research...but their profits are in the billions

Alot of the equipment that is used costs millions to buy and alot to maintain and upgrade
they have to do millions and even billions of dollars of research on their product before they can release it to the public. that combinded with a capitalistic mantra will lead to high prices. for many products they can charge whatever they want, because they know that in many cases people need the medicine and will pay whatever it costs.
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
there was a really good point made, and alot of people dont realise this, but if we gave aids medication to every person in africa who had aids, it would make little difference, because they dont have wrist watches. aids medication has to be taken at very specific times to make sure a resistant strain doesnt develop. if that did happen that'd be even worse news for africa.