Page 1 of 2
Well, I just got finished reading 1984. It just blew me away. All the interconnecting themes, metaphors, depth. And the themes were explored and mapped, unlike other books where the theme is introduced, but never explored.

Any fans of the book?
If you bother reading any of the book threads you can make the fair estimation that 98% of this forum pretend to love it and find it insightful, 56% of whom have never even read the blurb.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I tried reading it but I got about 10 pages in and couldn't follow it. Guess i'm not cut out for reading
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Indeed.

I actually have a (library stolen) copy of Geaorge Orwell's Essays.

There's a lot of boring **** in there, but some of his more philosophical writings can be very interesting indeed. Food for thought, at least, especially if you're a bit of a sociology nerd.
i've read it once, not a very literative mind so i didnt notice anything that deep
but i did like it, a lot, and i liked the themes that there were

thought it was a bit anticlimatic, with the whole, whatshisface not being part of that resistance thing and winston ending up how he does

tried not to be too spoilerish
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
Pacman of the UG Hero's and Villians club
I've read it also. Liked it but not as much as I thought I would it was a tad over hyped. Great book but I expected a masterpiece. I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 and personally I think its better.
i readit over the summer and loved it. a really interesting character is syme, because he is exactly what the party wants, and yet they destroy him.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
I saw the movie. I did not the expect nudity.

Shocking, really.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
One of my favorite books. A fantastic read.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Quote by slayer1516
Well, I just got finished reading 1984.

Well it sure took you long enough!
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Eh, it's aight.

Never been bothered to read it twice
My God, it's full of stars!
Definitely one of my favourite books - there aren't many books I'll re-read but I must have read 1984 four or five times overall. If you enjoyed it, maybe try "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley - I recommend reading "Down and Out in Paris And London" by George Orwell too.
I found it to be quite a captivating book, read it ages ago though so I can't remember many of the details of it. I think I should probably read it again in the near by future as I've seen loads of people discussing it and I just can't remember loads of the stuff in it.
Quote by sSyLc
I saw the movie. I did not the expect nudity.

Shocking, really.

Dude, I would soooo hit that though.

Even though there was a shortage of razorblades.
I've read it twice, and I still don't know- does he die at the end or not? I am notorious for not being able to detect sarcasm or "read between the lines", so all this metaphorical stuff just goes right over my head.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
I would like to know more about why you think a lot of other books don't 'explore' themes.

Thank you.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
I would like to know more about why you think a lot of other books don't 'explore' themes.

Thank you.

So would I.

yeah i've read it, good book better than most but i think it gets over hyped
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by TheNthDimension
^^No, he's been brainwashed by Big Brother but he's happy about it.

Oh, he was most certainly killed. Remember back in the Ministry of Love where it was said that they reform the prisoners before they kill them, and that was how they were different? He finally loved Big Brother, and at that point, was immediately killed.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Oh, he was most certainly killed. Remember back in the Ministry of Love where it was said that they reform the prisoners before they kill them, and that was how they were different? He finally loved Big Brother, and at that point, was immediately killed.

Aha that makes sense now. I took it as literal to be honest, and in some ways I still do, what does the final sort of chapter represent then? Some kind of idealistic representation of what life would be like for someone who loves Big Brother is my guess I suppose.
I'm glad I read it because it was an interesting and at times captivating book but I don't think it'll be one I'll go back to again and again.

I don't know I just found I couldn't warm to Winston's character and I thought the story was a bit far-fetched at times. Plus all these Dystopian novels/films can get a bit too much after a while, but overall I enjoyed it.
Read it once. I found it extremely catching, extremely well written, and very smart.
I read "Animals Farm" too, but didn't like it as much as I liked 1984 .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Grimme
Aha that makes sense now. I took it as literal to be honest, and in some ways I still do, what does the final sort of chapter represent then? Some kind of idealistic representation of what life would be like for someone who loves Big Brother is my guess I suppose.

You've just about got it. It's the final stage of his rehabilitation. Back when he was being tortured, Winston was forced to answer "correctly", but he didn't know why. Once released back into the world, Winston had to find reason to love Big Brother and stop mentally rebelling. That was what kept him alive, not being fully into the whole "Oh God, Big Brother!" type thing. Once he found no fault in Big Brother and accepted the propoganda.... *BOOM* ...headshot.
Quote by slayer1516
Well, I just got finished reading 1984. It just blew me away. All the interconnecting themes, metaphors, depth. And the themes were explored and mapped, unlike other books where the theme is introduced, but never explored.

Any fans of the book?

You may also want to check out another great book, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Unless you already read it...
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
You may also want to check out another great book, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Unless you already read it...

I always thought Brave New World and 1984 to be so close and yes so different from each other.

If I were to pick a favorite between the two, it'd probably be Brave New World for me. I can relate to John the Savage better than I can to Winston.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
I read 1984 over the summer and Fahrenheit 451 in school this year. Personally I thought Fahrenheit 451 was a more interesting read and its ideas hit me easier than those of 1984.
Peace.
I adore the book. Really got me into the concept of language.
Orwell is amazing.

If you enjoyed it, I definately suggest Brave New World. Another brilliant book.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
i personally think orwell is a **** writer. that being said, he has great ideas and his stories are amazing, it's just his actual writing capabilities annoy me.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
If you bother reading any of the book threads you can make the fair estimation that 98% of this forum pretend to love it and find it insightful, 56% of whom have never even read the blurb.

You stole the words out of my mouth.
I actually have read it. It was alright I guess, but I just can't relate to it.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
I have never read it, but I would like to, as I enjoyed Orwell's Animal Farm.
I read 1984 and Brave New World kind of consecutively my last 3 months or so of high school. I loved them both, but I think I enjoyed 1984 the most. I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 and so far its been good, but not quite as good as 1984.
Quote by Mad_Johnson
I read 1984 and Brave New World kind of consecutively my last 3 months or so of high school. I loved them both, but I think I enjoyed 1984 the most. I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 and so far its been good, but not quite as good as 1984.

Bradbury wipes the floor with Orwell
My God, it's full of stars!
I read it over the summer in two days. Amazing book. One part that really got to me was how the Party even managed to defeat their love. In so many stories, there's the whole "nothing can defeat love" type of thing, but here it happened. The book made me think a lot and the dystopian society it portrays is really frightening especially how the can simply change the past and even erase people altogether and people wont question because they are so brainwashed and under control. I find the ending to be depressing, yet perfect. There was no other ending that could have worked as well as a warning to society. The fact that Big Brother won, and there was no happy ending really drives the message of the book home.
Page 1 of 2