I've only been playing guitar for a few months now and one thing is really confusing me! Many of the tabs I've been looking at have chords like the following E minor : -

e a d g b e
------------------
3 X 5 4 5 3

How the hell do you strum this chord while not sounding the A string?! If anyone could help me out here i'd be eternally greatful and would love you forever!!!!

p.s. sorry about the poor chord diagram!
Last edited by mictus0712 at Nov 13, 2007,
Slightly flatten your finger on the E string so it barely touches the A string.
rymep is right about muting the A string but that ain't an E minor chord.
Yeah, you should raise the middle of your index finger slightly to mute the A string, and yes it is an Em chord, just with G as the root (it still has the same notes, just a variation)
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Right, thanks, I'd have put money on that being some sort of a G chord too.
It's like a C7/G.. But yeah. Practice the chord and you'll get used to muting the A string.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
use the fleshy pad on the bottom of your finger thats fretting the 3rd fret on the low E string to mute the A string.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by G1000
The chord is Em / G6(no5) / Bsus4/5+

(I have guitar pro! )

Haha, good work!
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler