ok, so for music theory, we have this assignment that says stuff like " major 2 sharps" "g minor" "major 2 flats" etc. We have to either give the key signature or the number of sharps or flats for the given key. I came across one and I got stuck. I looked on the circle of key chart to check, but I didn't see it. Is there a major scale with 7 flats? As far as I know, naturally the most flats you can have is 6, and that's for F# major. So how could there be one with 7 flats? Unless it's an altered scale or something... What could it be? Thanks.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Methinks you have a defective circle of fifths chart?

Also, be careful: though the keys of Gb and F# are enharmonic, Gb is the one with 6 flats
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Ah. Mine didn't have that one. Thanks I thought Cb major would be the same as B major though?

Edit: one more thing so I don't have to make a new thread:

There's a section on notating triads and 7th chords. I can do that, but some of the abbreviations the sheet I don't really know yet. What does AMM with a little 7 by the last M mean? Also, Bbm with a little 7? I know what the 7 is, but what's the difference of a big M and a little m? I'm thinking one means major and one means minor, but I'm not sure which is which. So DM would be D major, while Bbm would be B-flat minor? FM is f-major...I think. But what would GMm7 be? Thanks again.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Nov 13, 2007,
Quote by calebrocker
what would GMm7 be? Thanks again.

That would be G Major with a minor 7.

*Spoliers if this this is an actual question on your homework!*

The notes would be G B D F
Quote by Vittu0666

*Spoliers if this this is an actual question on your homework!*

The notes would be G B D F

that's what I had, I just wasn't sure.

What does a little o mean? Like C, and then the o is above and right to the c, like the 7s are? Also, Say it's D with a little d above it with a line through it, and then a little 7? Would that be Ddiminished7?
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
The first one is C Full Diminished 7 while the second one is D half Diminished 7. A fully diminished chord is a diminished chord with a diminished 7 (a bb7). A half diminished chord is a diminished chord with a minor 7 (a b7).

So the C Fully Diminished would be C Eb Gb Bbb

D Half Diminished would be D F Ab C
Quote by Apocalypse_Sons
Cb has 7 flats

What is a c flat
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Quote by damm_punks
What is a c flat

It is B in all technicality. It's called enharmonics.

Wikipedia - Enharmonics

Quote by Vittu0666

I've never heard it called a GMm7 before. It's just a G7, surely. The dominant 7.

I have heard of the chord GmM7, which is a G minor with a Major 7. G Bb D F#
^ indeed, Cb is enharmonic to B, but don't let that fool you for all intents and purposes it is not the same thing.
Quote by calebrocker
As far as I know, naturally the most flats you can have is 6, and that's for F# major.

Just so you know, the key of Gb has 6 flats, which is the enharmonic to F#, but I think it's pretty obvious that you can't have flat notes in a sharp key so keep that in mind when you are doing this stuff. And for reference, the key of F# has 6 sharps.
12 fret fury