So I've been playing guitar since Christmas 05' (and quit from Jan to Oct this year). And.. well.. You could say I pretty much suck .

I can play slower stuff well I guess.. And by slower, I mean songs like:

Crazy Train (the intro to the first riff, though I can only play that riff so-so)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Tornado Of Souls (only learned the intro so far)
Over the Hills and Far Away (Zeppelin)

However, when it comes to anything fast, I'm hopeless. I can't nail any solos, I can't sweep pick.. I'm just awful . If anyone can show me any vids, articles, or anything that can help me get better, that'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks, haven
learn some basic scales (major, minor, pentatonic, blues pentatonic), then practice them up and down the fretboard like a mother****er.

other than that, just practice.
When it comes to anything fast I'm hopeless too. Big deal.
You have fun playing?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Same situation.

It will take a long time before you can sweep pick

Just practice and look up articles on the internet

That's all you can do.

The people who became really good (besides having creativity) played 10-15 hours a day

John Frusicante
Steve Vai
Zakk Wylde
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
First thing first is to learn some basic scales so you learn to utilize every finger. Before I ever began playing scaled back a few years ago I never ever used my pinky, after it was a completely different story and helped me play alot more.
Speed doesn't make a good guitar player at all.

There are many more important things that make up a "good" guitar player before speed even comes into question.
Nikolas
get some lessons at ure local music shop or better a guitar shop
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
Quote by Jackal58
When it comes to anything fast I'm hopeless too. Big deal.
You have fun playing?

True.. But I still don't like the idea that people who've been playing as long (or shorter) than me are 4x better.

Any specific scales I should practice?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
learn some basic scales (major, minor, pentatonic, blues pentatonic), then practice them up and down the fretboard like a mother****er.

other than that, just practice.

Took the words right out of my mouth....
Quote by coheed.666
get some lessons at ure local music shop or better a guitar shop

I took lessons for almost a year total, but.. They just got to the point where they weren't fun anymore. I was learning to improvise over jazz chords, and it was so damn hard and I felt like I was getting nowhere.
I can't play that well fast. I used to be able to but I sort of drifted off into playing slower music, just practice and it'll come. If you tend to play a lot of slower stuff you'll naturally be better at it.
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Speed doesn't make a good guitar player at all.

There are many more important things that make up a "good" guitar player before speed even comes into question.

Exactly Right!! Even though it is fun to nail those fast solos some of the best solos ever are not shreds, they are very original and put together well musically. For example, someone mentioned john frusciante, you never see him "Shred" up and down the neck and he is undoubtedly one of the best guitar players.
Quote by TDKshorty

The people who became really good (besides having creativity) played 10-15 hours a day

I have a hard time believing that..
Quote by haven222
So I've been playing guitar since Christmas 05' (and quit from Jan to Oct this year). And.. well.. You could say I pretty much suck .

I can play slower stuff well I guess.. And by slower, I mean songs like:

Crazy Train (the intro to the first riff, though I can only play that riff so-so)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Tornado Of Souls (only learned the intro so far)
Over the Hills and Far Away (Zeppelin)

However, when it comes to anything fast, I'm hopeless. I can't nail any solos, I can't sweep pick.. I'm just awful . If anyone can show me any vids, articles, or anything that can help me get better, that'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks, haven

ok coming from a metalhead, ... speed isn't everything. Just because you can't sweep (i can't either so don't worry) doesn't mean you suck. Just take some time practice some scales, and progressively increase the speed at which you play them. Oh, use a metronome when you practice too, it'll help. And don't quit again lol. Just keep at it and remember that everyone learns at their own pace. All it takes is practice, man. Don't worry about it, you'll eventually get it.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Guitar is like riding a bicycle my friend...

when you're 35 you might be alright at it.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by haven222
I took lessons for almost a year total, but.. They just got to the point where they weren't fun anymore. I was learning to improvise over jazz chords, and it was so damn hard and I felt like I was getting nowhere.

Well i started learning some jazz chords e few weeks ago and it's freakin bomb...just playing with it...go on google video and type in "thenextlevelguitar.com" and it will have some interesting things in there...
You know what? Practice. That's it.

You gave up and you're wondering why you're having problems? Don't expect to be a guitar master after a year of playing.
-_- i hate the suggestion of guitar lessons, 2 years and all i really learned is how to piss people off with fast annoying **** XD although i suppose the teacher sucked still =/

just practice hard, watch some youtube lessons or something, you'll be a lot better eventually ^_^
Quote by Dead_End
-_- i hate the suggestion of guitar lessons, 2 years and all i really learned is how to piss people off with fast annoying **** XD although i suppose the teacher sucked still =/

just practice hard, watch some youtube lessons or something, you'll be a lot better eventually ^_^

Guitar lessons were one of the most pointless things i've ever done
Quote by haven222
True.. But I still don't like the idea that people who've been playing as long (or shorter) than me are 4x better.

Any specific scales I should practice?

First I have probably been playing a little longer than you. That doesn't mean I'm better.
Scales? All of them.

Quote by haven222
I have a hard time believing that..

Believe it.

Do you play with other people?
I find it gets very boring and repetitive just playing by myself. Fortunately most of my friends play and love to get together on occasion to make some "joyful" noise.
Find some people to play with. It makes playing so much more fun, entertaining, educational and interesting. If you don't think your "good" enough I say BS. Do it any ways.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

Do you play with other people?
I find it gets very boring and repetitive just playing by myself. Fortunately most of my friends play and love to get together on occasion to make some "joyful" noise.
Find some people to play with. It makes playing so much more fun, entertaining, educational and interesting. If you don't think your "good" enough I say BS. Do it any ways.

I know several people who play guitar, but I'm either not friends with them or don't see them often.

I also have a friend who plays bass, but.. he's not exactly the best musician . No offence to him, but he can't really keep a good steady beat.

Also, how should I pick to play the fast lick in the intro in Fade to Black?