Well, someone from school that I have recently started talking to wanted me to go and play some tunes with him. He mainly plays Dream Theater and Lamb of God, I basically told him my views on music etc... I am very knowledgeable when it comes to metal that I may have came off as "decent musician", but you see, I am not very good, I am just a novice at playing... should I even bother going if they are playing those kind of tunes when I am a novice? Or should I just tell him maybe later? If I went I wouldn't be able to play anything they play and would look like a jack ass... Suggestions :P?
Tell him your skill level and explain to him you may not be able keep up on the songs.
Just play some chords over and over and let him solo over it.
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
just ask her to touch her toes naked....shell never expect whats next
Is this a real gig or just a jam request?

Because if its a jam, go for it but be honest with them about your abilities. You will never build chops unless you start playing with other musicians. And playing with people who are better than you is an excellent way to quickly develop chops and rise to the next level.

I started a regular gig sitting in with some guitarists who are light years ahead of me. Yes, it can be a nerve racking experience but the payoff is huge, and even after one week, I can see how I've improved and expanded my bass playing.
Get out there and jam every chance you get with every genre you can. Best way to grow as a musician.

One more thing, it doesnt matter how good you are (in a sense) it matters how confident you are.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Go with it, get into a groove and enjoy it. That's the best way to expand in your playing ability. Playing with people that are higher in skill level than you can always throw tips your way and nifty little pointers that will help you out. Have fun with it and remeber it's just a Jam.
Thanks for the replies Yeah, it was just a jam request. Plan to get one set up some time then, thanks for the help.
It helps if you know a couple scales, even just major and minor pentatonic, and if they say that they're in G, that you know how to play in G.

I'm not sure what you know, so if you already know these, great. Have fun, above all.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I haven't been taught anything at all yet (well, everything has been taught by myself/trying to play tabs... haven't watched any "how to" or anything special, but I hope to get a teacher soon...I have had my bass for awhile but I have never been motivated to play it... Learning Orion by Metallica right now Hopefully I can pick up some tips on this board
Quote by Ozzmark
I haven't been taught anything at all yet (well, everything has been taught by myself/trying to play tabs... haven't watched any "how to" or anything special, but I hope to get a teacher soon...I have had my bass for awhile but I have never been motivated to play it... Learning Orion by Metallica right now Hopefully I can pick up some tips on this board

Yea, if your looking into learning scales or anything check out the Musicians Talk forum on this site. Great help in there and you wont get flamed.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by anarkee
Is this a real gig or just a jam request?

Because if its a jam, go for it but be honest with them about your abilities. You will never build chops unless you start playing with other musicians. And playing with people who are better than you is an excellent way to quickly develop chops and rise to the next level.

I started a regular gig sitting in with some guitarists who are light years ahead of me. Yes, it can be a nerve racking experience but the payoff is huge, and even after one week, I can see how I've improved and expanded my bass playing.

I can vouch for this...I've noticed some improvement in my playing after a few practices with a new drummer. To give you an idea of how intense the guy is, at an earlier practice I joked that we should cover The Mars Volta, and he sat down a busted out Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus. A month later, and we're covering Take the Veil....and he jams with similar intensity. Since starting that band, I've been able to deal with some weird beats and time signatures.

The point is, playing with a higher skilled mate really does help you. You'll get nowhere by always being the best musician in the band.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Here's my advice: I'd go for it.

I used to be a below-average bassist, I was barely able to play the root notes of the guitar well enough for it to even be considered "adequate". Then, my buds and I started a band. The two guitarists in the band are great, and jamming with them really challenged me. It was really hard at first, but i look back now and I'm really glad I chose to play with them, as my skills have significantly rose and can now play a lot of pretty cool basslines, not to mention hold my own at band practice, haha.

So I'd go jam with this guy if I were you, and just be honest about your skills, I'm sure he'll be fine with it...heck, HE even may be lying about HIS skills !
My experience was similar to yours, Another bassist. I pretty much picked up bass because the bass player in my youth group (at least, I was in the youth group then) band was going to be unavailable. So, wanting to be able to play an instrument to begin with, I volunteered to learn. Six years later, I can attest to the fact that had I not played with some truly amazing drummers and guitarists, I wouldn't have learned anything. I did suck for a while there, but once I got serious and started focusing more on the whole band dynamic, I got noticeably better.

Of course, now I'm spoiled and won't settle for anything less than an amazing drummer or guitarist in most situations (now I play in the worship service with the same drummer), but it helps to be picky sometimes.
as long as your entirely honest they'll be cool with it, if you go in acting like you can play everything, then you'll look like an ass, so just tell them what you can play, and don't get in the way too much if they're playing something to complicated for you

honestly first time i jammed is was with a guitarist who had been playing 7 years, i had been playing a few months, and told him this, he was glad to play the few easy songs i knew with me, (while doing crazy solos, off of them), and even taught me a few songs to play

i think jamming is probably (besides being actually taught by someone) the most beneficial things you can do as a musician
i've been playing for almost 4 years, been with this bnd for 3 months, and i still make an ass of myself everytime i play. just have fun with it
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Keep it simple, and just try and get into the groove. Root notes it may be, but consistancy and you not worrying are the key to a fun time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1