I recently put light gauge (9-42) strings on my Fender Strat and did a new setup. My truss rod is adjusted perfectly from what I can tell (There's a small gap of about 1mm between the string and the 8th fret when a pushed down at the first and last fret), my action is as low as possible without fret buzz, and I the intonation is perfect when I checked with a tuner while playing harmonics at the 12th fret. The problem is, when I play an F on the E string (1st fret), it's a bit sharp. I checked with a tuner. What is the problem, and how can I fix it?
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
innotation. you know the screws on the back of the bridge? its something to do with them but im not sure how to do it on a strat.
I checked the intonation and it's fine (I played a harmonic on each string on the 12th fret and the tuner showed that it was perfect). It's also only on the first fret and only on the low E string.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Sometimes... tuners can be wrong. I have one tuner that tells me something is flat by a tiny bit, and another that says it's perfect and it sounds perfect.

Try some other methods to tune, like playing the same note on different strings for example. I combine a few different ways to decide if tuning is correct.

It's also common for most tuners to have trouble accurately detecting the pitch at lower frequencies.
Last edited by Ki' at Nov 14, 2007,