Basically its time to upgrade my amp, i have a crappy hiwatt 100watt combo. Its not immensly crappy, it just about does its job but like i say its time to change.
I only half no what im looking for, i want a head and a cab. i think probably around the 100watt mark.
I play mainly metal, hardcore and some punk, main influences being Avenged sevenfold, metallica, killswitch engage etc.
After doing my christmas over time at work i should have upto 1000 british pounds to spend on an amp.
One of the the amps i was looking at was the Vox AD 100VTH and the matching cab. Now the main question i wanted to ask. how good can this Valvetronix amp be. Is it worth paying extra for a full valve/tube amp? And if so what other amps would you guys eommend. also would i need noise suppression pedals for it etc.
Any help you guys could give would be great.
Cheers
www.myspace.com/abnegative <<< Check It!
Last edited by MT Zombie at Nov 13, 2007,
I recommend the Valvetronix series, as an owner of both tube and non-tube amps, I'd say these things do a damn good job. Go with the AD120VT in my opinion.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
5150/6505 combo, ull thank me later

its not very noisy, but a tubescreamer will make it really sing
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
get a b-52 at-100 half stack
the guitarist from queensryche uses them and they are supposed to be closely related to a mesa triple rectifier.
also maybe try out some marshalls and get an eq pedal to get the heavier gain
Quote by metalmaster362
5150/6505 combo, ull thank me later

its not very noisy, but a tubescreamer will make it really sing

ya 6505's are great as well a lot of the metalcore bands out now use them
i have a ad100vt combo, same as the head. it already has a noise supressor built into it. IMO best hybrid amp. if you want all tube(and have the$$$$, i say orange or soldano.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
The Valvetronix amps are decent amps and very good for at home practice and just random jamming with friends. But they are just a practice amp. There is no real need to buy anything over the AD50VT. You don't need a halfstack but if you want one its your money so by all means buy one. The Vox amps have built in noise suppression so you will more then likely not need a pedal unless you are just assaulting the amp with gain and bass.

If you are gigging I suggest looking elsewhere for an amp. Nice tube head/combo would suit you fine at around 50 or so watts. I'd look into the Marshall DSL line, a Traynor YCV50 Blue or 80 watt version, 5150/6505, etc. I can't think of anything else right now but I can post more if you want later. If you go this route and want some noise suppressor I love my ISP Decimator. Best pedal I ever purchased honestly and it just does an amazing job.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
the 6505, is that the peavey one?

And yes im doing a lot of gigging, on a little break from it over christmas but in the new year i'll be starting again. Played a couple of outside gigs too and for them i'd say your best off going through a cab, no?
Yep the 6506 Peavey.

Its not that your best off or anything like that. Since your gigging I'd just suggest a tube amp on the whole. The AD series is a practice amp no matter how you look at it imo. A tube amp is perceived louder then solid state amps. So you may not need the full 100 watts depending on the venue and the P.A system. I find half stacks easier to transport (yes I'm weird lol) so you can get a halfstack if you want but it may be over powering depending on the venue your working at and you won't be able to crank the amp to get that saturated tube tone everyone loves. If you find a head that you just love tone wise then get the halfstack and probably just pickup an attenuator if it ever becomes needed. If not you can also have a combo and an extension cab which can spread out your sound better sinc eyou can split them across the stage.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. i just thought the Vox looked good for what it was. But i have always thought full valve would be the right way. Im just not really sure where to go from that. my mate had the 45watt dsl (i think thats right) it was a 45 watt full valve marshall anyways, really really nice sounding i just thought its was a little to quiet live. plus it was just one 12inch speaker.
Would anyone recommend the peavey XXX head? I would need clean channles as well, but this seems similar to the 6505 but with a clean channel
Quote by MT Zombie
yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. i just thought the Vox looked good for what it was. But i have always thought full valve would be the right way. Im just not really sure where to go from that. my mate had the 45watt dsl (i think thats right) it was a 45 watt full valve marshall anyways, really really nice sounding i just thought its was a little to quiet live. plus it was just one 12inch speaker.

If it was the DSL you could get the 50 watt head and get a cab to suit it since you want a halfstack. Thats a great setup right there and you already like the tone so its a plus.

Quote by MT Zombie
Would anyone recommend the peavey XXX head? I would need clean channles as well, but this seems similar to the 6505 but with a clean channel

I've heard mix things about the XXX head. I personally don't fancy it much but its not suited to my needs so I can't pass a fair opinion on it.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Cheers OsirisProtocol you have been a great help. I'd be thankful if you could think of any others worth getting as well. I want to research and hopefully try as many of these as i can, its a lot of money to spend and then go and fine out its not what you hoped haha. thanks again though
Quote by MT Zombie
Cheers OsirisProtocol you have been a great help. I'd be thankful if you could think of any others worth getting as well. I want to research and hopefully try as many of these as i can, its a lot of money to spend and then go and fine out its not what you hoped haha. thanks again though

Glad I can help. I am bad with currency exchange but if I did it right 1000pds means you have roughly 2k in US to spend so I based the amps I am adding now on the price limit.

The Hughes & Kettner Switchblade is a great amp imo. I've realized that they are a real hit or miss with alot of people but if you like it you'll love it. They can also be a bit difficult to dial in I've realized but that passes with time. If you can get your hands on one give it a try.

Also look into Laney amps. Of the few that I have had the short opportunity to run through they were nice. Especially for harder rock and metal. I can't comment on their clean tone because the setlist I covered for didn't require the clean channel and I didn't get a chance to use it as a result.

Lastly in terms of heads check out Soldano's. I haven't actually had a chance to try one out but some bands that I cover with swear by them and I hear them in use all the time. Very nice tones when they aren't goofing off lol. They seem pretty simplistic in design to me, which is a good thing, and they sound great so I don't see any major gripes until I get a chance to run through one.

If you want some info on combos to just give me a shout. Hope I helped and good luck to you.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Yeah thats about right with the convertion, i think its either a little under or a little under that but yeah its cool. Deffinatly given me some things to think about there so thanks very much. I want to look into the Soldano but i don't think any where near me will stock them, I'll see what i can find though. thanks again for your help.
Im open to any other suggestions from others too.