I have always noticed the lack of female musicians in bands. On my ipod, there is only one female voiced band, and that is sonic youth, which has a male voice half of the time. The only females I notice in the music industry are in pop music and R&B. I'm not saying that there are NO females in rock, just very few.

Do you think that females are doomed in the rock industry? If yes, why?
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
I wouldn't say doomed, but success isn't usually as common with women.

Still some amazing bands out there with women.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
NO some females bands are great

The Pipettes,Heart and that chick from Paramore even though I hate Paramoe.
Do you guys think that it is also due to male listeners thinking they might be seen as 'sissys' or equivalent if they listen to music by females?
John Frusciante
it has nothing to do with being doomed to fail, there are just way less women playing rock music.
female?

*looks up in dictionary*

i thought it was proven that they were a myth?

a lot fewer women pursue a path in rock so there are going to be a lot fewer who make it...

it works out proportionally
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Last edited by RageAgainst... at Nov 13, 2007,
Far more guys than girls play guitar/bass/drums. Personally i don't like many female voices in rock, thats just me though.

In some cases it helps. Would paramore seriously be as big as they are now if hayley williams was a complete minger?
I have a few with female singers

Rilo Kiley
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Pixies
Evanescence

But it seems to be the exception, not the rule.
Well I don't mind female members in bands, just look at Bolt Thrower or Arch Enemy. Now being black in metal is a different story...
I agree to an extent...

I think Alanis Morrisette would've been even more popular if she were a guy.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I don't know about in the rock industry, but I don't believe I have any female rock singers on my iPod. It's just a preference. They often lack the intensity and spirit of rock. And even if they have that I just don't care for female singers.
Quote by scarecr0w
Do you guys think that it is also due to male listeners thinking they might be seen as 'sissys' or equivalent if they listen to music by females?

Anybody who thinks that is an idiot
eyes set to kill mix up female and male vocals really well in my opinion!

i think its quite hard sometimes to find females with the voices ur looking for

example:my friends and i from college tried to get a band going, everyone had fairly heavy influences based around hardcore and metal, but we had a female singer with a paramorey vibe to it

needless to say trying to fit that voice in with a band basically playing killswitch stylee was almost impossible!
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Alot of people try to deny it but it's completely true. Females have the short end of the stick on everything in the music industry. This doesn't just go for musicians, it also applies to producers, audio engineers, etc.
i hope not. chick guitarists are hot as ****
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
I think the fact that a lot of the time, they are seen as sex symbols, which stops people from taking their music seriously, might be a factor in it.
John Frusciante
in some cases, yes, because a lot of times all girl bands and some female fronted bands (i.e. Amy Lee of Evanescence) create too much drama to actually make decent music.
i'm the only girl in my seminonbutstillkindofnotreallyexistant band. reason being my friends needed a rhythm guitar player. but i've noticed, like, guys create so much less drama. our biggest issue was who was gonna do the solo for our performance in a school show.
Obviously... I've no idea why, though. Female music might appeal to females, I suppose. I've yet to find a single female artist I like at all.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by sadSTATUE
in some cases, yes, because a lot of times all girl bands and some female fronted bands (i.e. Amy Lee of Evanescence) create too much drama to actually make decent music.
i'm the only girl in my seminonbutstillkindofnotreallyexistant band. reason being my friends needed a rhythm guitar player. but i've noticed, like, guys create so much less drama. our biggest issue was who was gonna do the solo for our performance in a school show.

Correction:

Small bands create much less drama
Quote by GiantRaven
Correction:

Small bands create much less drama

point taken