Listening to an iron maiden song yesterday with my girl friend
Twas run to the hills,,,it came to the solo and she came out with

"I bet I could finger pick that"

is she insane? (shes obsessed with it, she will NOT use a pick,,,,and cant even play come as you are by nirvana btw hehe) she sez she think all metal songs can be finger picked :S:S:S

plus on a serious note what worth do we reckon finger picking is in faster/heavier genres?

(I woulda put this in the guitar basics but theres practically no one in there)
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Yes it could be fingerpicked. It would sound awesome too. check out classical guitar runs, theyre fingerpicked and are way harder and faster than just about any metal song.

For your sig if you havn't already choosen get the VC30:-)
i personnally love fingerpicking, but only for classical stuff and some other random songs.

but for heavier stuff a pick is by far the only way to go for me, dont like the tone fingers give for heavy stuff, but then again i dont like the tone a pick gives for classical either lol
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
I like to finger pick if I'm either playing classical acoustic, Eric Johnson type stuff, or if I'm using extremely high gain and want to get a really really warm breaky tone.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I reckon if she's good enough it's perfectly possible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well I usually fingerpick everything. I got tired of losing picks so I was all like "F*ck it"
Quote by DreamFactory
That bitch is crazy!

Nah, I'm really wondering if she could do it?

erm,,,nope like I said she cant even play come as you are by nirvana ... And as for knowing what finger picking is yes,,,but she hasn't a clue how to do it ,,,, i love her but shes crap (receives punch in the arm from aforementioned gf) lol

continue discussion please:p

I think its good if yo want to put some clean stuff in with like broken chords :p but prefer my pick
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Well I think as long as who ever's doing it is good any technique is as valid as any other for anything. I do prefer playing with my pick as well but I definitely want to get better at finger style playing just to expand my own capabilities and therefore what I can say with my music because after all that's what playing guitar is all about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
when i first started playing i was convinced that i could do anything without a pick. granted artists like jeff beck and derek trucks can finger pick some mad solos.....im not virtuoso.

it jsut takes time to get used to a pick rly, but before i learned i refused to use a pick so yea
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Oh its possible.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
It can be done. If you think about it your hand has five fingers and if you're a badass at fingerpicking that's essentially five picks going at once rather than just one. The tone, however, is another matter.
Anything can be fingerpicked.

With the right effects etc, it can sound very nice and ethereal. It depends on what kind of sound you want from your guitar.

I've jazzed up a few Manson songs with fingerpicking XD!
i dunno
im decided what to do
because now
yngwie type runs, bascilly classical runs
sound really good finerpicked
and usually i loose my picks
but i play live shows with picks
i dunno
i seem to play everything without a pick now
chords, solos
i really like it for some reason
but im having trouble making the full conversion
i use jazz 3 picks, small ass buggers,
but i dunno
to pick or not to pick
i always loose my picks too
Fingerpicking is great, but unless you have really fast fingers it's hard to play the same string multiple times anywhere near as fast as you can with a pick. I've seen people do some cool stuff on the acoustic guitar with thumbpicks (so they can quickly shift from fingerpicking to strumming/picking) although you never see it with electric guitars for whatever reason.
I'm getting a thumbpick for when I get my violin bow....so I can go from bow to picking.

I WILL succeed!!!!!
Quote by xmochaboy
why not fingerpick her?

I do ,,, oh I do :p lol
shes a bit jealous of my guitar though ,,, it sees action more than her :=o lol
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
DuH! doesnt anyone play GUitar HeRo??? lUlz axel steel doesnt use a pick and he is ze PWnz0R!!!!!!!!11onne!!!!eleven!
[/sarcasm]

anyway, i cant play too fast without a pick, but as far as chord progression, rythm playing, and slower songs, it doesnt bother me wether or not i have a pick in my hands.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Fingerpicking is possible, I think you and you're GF are safe for now.

But when she brings up fingerpicking Dragonforce, then you should start to worry and take her to a professional.
Gear
- ESP Ltd Viper-200
- Peavey Valve King 212

Quote by DC METAL666
You know you're a guitar player when you finger your fretboard more than your girlfriend
Quote by Demeanor
Fingerpicking is possible, I think you and you're GF are safe for now.

But when she brings up fingerpicking Dragonforce, then you should start to worry and take her to a professional.

lmao she aleady has,,,,,the white coats are coming for her soon
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well I think as long as who ever's doing it is good any technique is as valid as any other for anything. I do prefer playing with my pick as well but I definitely want to get better at finger style playing just to expand my own capabilities and therefore what I can say with my music because after all that's what playing guitar is all about.

couldnt have said it better myself.