i was scanning thru the far lefthand side of the FM dial one morning. tuning thru static, college alt-country and foreign languages. what happened next is sort of hard to describe. it was a guitar solo. i mean i could intellectualize it as a guitar solo. but what i FELT like it was, was an opening to the 7th ring of hell.
i swear i've never heard anything before or since.
it wasn't shred/sweep/double-tapping
but it was fast Fast FAST!!! extremely acurate, defined, and it was quite long. seemed like 2 or 3 minutes
but it had this presence/imagry to it that was truely TERRIFYING
i crap you not, i've NEVER heard anything remotely like this before in my life.

i don't suppose i'll ever find out who or what it was. but how the heck do people do that? how do you know what notes to put together to get that feeling? its driving me insane!!!

oh, and if anybody knows the song i'm talking about please let me know. it sure as **** wasn't metallica
Quote by blue_strat
Slayer?

+666

lol yeah it was probly them there **** is nuts

kerry king is god
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by JoshyD
dragonforce most likely

you dont get "7th ring of hell" from dragonforce. you get kittens playing in a field of flowers. at least thats what i get. good luck on finding who it was.

ive actually never played an electric guitar, and you cant do stuff like that on acoustic. so i guess im not much help...
i bet the person who wrote that solo would be a very happy person if they heard you say that. i dont think you can pay someone a higher compliment.

anyway, we need more info - was it heavily distorted, could you pick out what type of guitar was probably being used, what genre would you class it as (though that could throw us all off due to subjectivity)

and the only solo's that make me feel that are usually ones belonging to ozzys guitarists, namely randy and jake e lee. if it ws zakk u'd have known. he would have pinchd you to death.

also, dimebag, though im not a fan has that effect on many people
You don't completely know, and it's not an exact science; you just do the best you can.

People's perceptions of music vary widely; the terrifying noise you heard might be interpreted by someone else as "emotionless wankery", or uncomfortable noise, or a host of other things.

However, there are certain scales, chords, techniques, etc., that many people happen to associate in general with a certain emotion, and those can sometimes be exploited to create your desired mood, though not everyone will share this mood. Analysis and experimentation can probably lead you to some of these; if you were ever to hear this solo again, a good plan would be to work a little theory and figure out some of what is going on, then try to determine what aspects contribute to the "scary" sound.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
i haven't heard enough slayer to know, but it sure wasn't buckethead or dragonforce or dream theater
frankly i can't stand shred guitar. sounds like some dude masturbating. just something i don't want to listen to. sorry
but i'm more interested in how people know how to put the notes together to get that kind of result
it just boggles my mind
Quote by psychodelia
You don't completely know, and it's not an exact science; you just do the best you can.

People's perceptions of music vary widely; the terrifying noise you heard might be interpreted by someone else as "emotionless wankery", or uncomfortable noise, or a host of other things.

>> couldn't be more true
could it have been.....

cradle of filth?

slipknot?

lamb of god?

radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by cpick2014
you dont get "7th ring of hell" from dragonforce. you get Pokémon playing in a field of flowers.

Fixed.

There was a thread a while ago about the relationship between maths and music, and someone posted some links to sites which theorised that Chopin acheived certain emotions in his music with maths.

Or something like that ...
Quote by sethp
. sorry
but i'm more interested in how people know how to put the notes together to get that kind of result
it just boggles my mind

well really, the best thing you can do is play a LOT of guitar. you want to have an intimate knowledge of music. theory will only take you so far. you need to know when to step outside of the boundaries and go with what you feel and hear. normally i'm not a advocate of "play what you feel" (i believe in doing this only when knowing the rules and how to break them) sometimes the best thing to do is to tell your brain to shut up and let your hands do what your heart is telling you (i've heard dimebag say this before, just put your hands down where they wanna go)
^ but what if that F sounds good? then why not use it? thats a modal thing there, taste and good judgement. say the chord progression is in E minor and the chord you're going over is C maj or A min, that F will sound good. hell even if its a G major you can nail that F to make a min 7th sound which can sound really evil. i say don't rule out any note, just know when, where and how to use it.
Quote by z4twenny
well really, the best thing you can do is play a LOT of guitar. you want to have an intimate knowledge of music. theory will only take you so far. you need to know when to step outside of the boundaries and go with what you feel and hear.

that sort of hits the bullseye. i just can't wrap my head around the theory part. i can sort of intellectualize it. but its like a highschool history textbook...
lots of dates, and kings, and emperors, and wars. but no personal connection what so ever.
neither the "being able to lay out what i'm hearing in my head"
^ ok, look at it like this. theory should not tell you how to play. all it is there for is to tell you why things sound the way they do. you CAN play by just theory alone and make it sound good (its done ALL the time) or you can use it as a basis, a foundation if you will and build on top of it (this is what i do) what might help is whatever mood you're in (happy sad anxious nervous excited) pick up your guitar and try to emote thru music exactly how you're feeling and use theory as a basis if needed. you're probably going to suck at first (unless of course you just play a major or minor scale which will inherently sound happy or sad) maybe get someone to listen to you play and have them tell you how what you played made them feel. do this often and chances are the more you do it, the more you'll start to notice that what you're intending a song to sound like and what its being interpreted as will get closer and closer together.
Just how I felt when I first listened to the solo in this song. The song itself is good, very 80's but the solo just rawks. Mattias IA Eklundh played for the band at that time, so it was him on guitar. http://www.fateband.dk/sounds/youre_the_best.mp3
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by sethp
i was scanning thru the far lefthand side of the FM dial one morning. tuning thru static, college alt-country and foreign languages. what happened next is sort of hard to describe. it was a guitar solo. i mean i could intellectualize it as a guitar solo. but what i FELT like it was, was an opening to the 7th ring of hell.
i swear i've never heard anything before or since.
it wasn't shred/sweep/double-tapping
but it was fast Fast FAST!!! extremely acurate, defined, and it was quite long. seemed like 2 or 3 minutes
but it had this presence/imagry to it that was truely TERRIFYING
i crap you not, i've NEVER heard anything remotely like this before in my life.

i don't suppose i'll ever find out who or what it was. but how the heck do people do that? how do you know what notes to put together to get that feeling? its driving me insane!!!

oh, and if anybody knows the song i'm talking about please let me know. it sure as **** wasn't metallica

That's what I thought when I first heard Freebird.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa