Hey guys, i replaced the pick ups on my yamaha p-bass and after a while, i got it to work, barely

The sound is now only barely audiable when both the amp vol. and guitar vol. are maxed. Does anyone here know how to remedy this?

[its the DiMarizo blade pickups]
Check your wiring or raise it a bit?
Last edited by JMDavis07 at Nov 13, 2007,
Yeah, I'd say it's the wiring, did a shop do it for you? If they did, take it back, they shouldn't charge you for it, and if you did it yourself, try see where you went wrong, then if you can't, take it to a shop.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I would say when you put the pci kup on, you had the urge to crank the screws down, so rasie the pick up a bit, I'd say that will do the trick.
Definately raise the pick ups, and if you can't get them right just take it to a shop and in about 30 minutes they can optimize them for you.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa
I had this exact problem and raising the pickup itself did the trick. If you have to stuff some crap under the pickup to keep it at that height, so be it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well I would say rise your pickups and when you get it working, tell me how the pickups are. I was planning on doing exactly what you did. (same pickup and bass I think RBX170?)
Rhythm Harmony Melody
dammit, i went back to my old pickups, raised the pickups as high as w/o buzz, and still that low sound. i just ruined my bass
Maybe the pickups are trully active? Maybe they need an onboard preamp?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
no, i put on my old pickups and its still low, and the new ones are passive, i checked

EDIT: The new strings i put on are the fender stainless flats, would that affect it?
Last edited by InvaderRen at Nov 13, 2007,
Make sure all connection in your signal chain are working fine (no pedals on low power, slightly disconnected cables, volume turned up on bass and gain and volume set on amp).

Check that all the conections on tone and volume pots are as required to be.

Then adjust the pickup height so they come up a bit.

If that doesn't work, take it to a shop.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
taking it to Sam Ash within the next few days. theyre charging me 25 vs 80 the local ones are charging. ludicrous.
if you've done it yourself go back and check for any cold solder joints (they'll be dull as opposed to a good shiny one)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
the advise i was given was make sure that the both points of contact (the wire and the pot) are hot before applying the solder. not ridiculously hot though. just put your wire on your pot then hold it down with your iron for about 5 seconds then go about the actual soldering process
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I second going back and checking the solder joints. Did you change the wiring at all, or just swap the pickups?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
same wiring. followed the instructions.

Im taking it to Sam Ash on friday. they quoted me ~25 to wire. would they charge more to take care of my truss/action. Also, how long do repair jobs usu. take? I'm in a band and this is down time for me.

Thanks ppl
they wont charge much for trus/action setups, had mine done for about $15 Australian, and its usually all taken care of within about a day. Good luck man