ive narrowed my search down to two basses. well three but there is no way i can afford a stingray =[.

the fender standard jazz or the squier standard jazz.

what are the ups and downs to both of these basses?
Fender is pretty much better lol
The fender will bit a bit more expensive... but pretty much just all around better lol
there is not much of a difference between the two. just a matter of quality and where they are made. squiers are made in mexico and are made a bit (for lack of a better word) cheaper than fenders. with a squier, you would probably be buying another bass in a couple of years. but a fender is more expensive and higher quality. it all depends on your price range and what your future plans are.
alright thanks

also ive heard people putting the Badass II bridge and EMG pickups on the fender. does it make that much of a difference?
Quote by xVandals
alright thanks

also ive heard people putting the Badass II bridge and EMG pickups on the fender. does it make that much of a difference?

It would, depepending on what you're going for, no offence, but if you couldn't differenciate between Fender and Squier, just get the Fender for the moment, and worry about modding it later.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
id be going for a more punkish/ska kind of sound.. and i havent actually tried out either of them yet. the only decent guitar place near me is schumacher and thats about a 30min drive. im gonna try to go this weekend to check them out.

i was just asking to get an idea of better quality/make
There's absolutely no advantage that the Squier has over the Fender other than price. Value is relative, however. I couldn't possibly recommend the Squier over the Fender.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would say Fender trumps Squier just about everytime around. Well, no, all the time. So I would suggest it. But don't buy a bass than immediatly mod it. I would say hang around and wait awhile till you get the hang of it. and know it's feel.
and this is just one of the things i like, about Fender. the quality chain is pretty clear.
you get what you pay for. is it worth the extra money? with Fender, it usually is.
I'd only reccommend the Squire if you were buying it for a mod project (I've heard some great success stories involving the SVM series), and I'd definitely hold off for that as a newcomer to bass (and guitar tech, evidently). Get the Fender.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by xVandals
alright thanks

the badassII increases the quality of the attack sound and increases sustain and gets rid of the annoying rattle fender standard bridges develope over time.

EMG is pickups that are active and have a very unique sound to them. many people love them the others respect them. and the people that hate them.... probably never actually played on one.

changeing the pickups is the biggest change in your tone you can make other than changeing your amp so yes changeing pickups "makes a difference" but is only necissary if you are unhappy with the tone of you current pickups or would prefer the tone of the new ones.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by xVandals
id be going for a more punkish/ska kind of sound.. and i havent actually tried out either of them yet. the only decent guitar place near me is schumacher and thats about a 30min drive. im gonna try to go this weekend to check them out.

i was just asking to get an idea of better quality/make

fender>squier

if your going for punkish sound i would say look at the fender and squier p basses instead of the jazz
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
The P has a great low and mid "thump" sound to it which is a popular tone amongst punk/poppunk/ska.

I play lots of ska type basslines in my band and use a Jazz bass because I like the bitey, gritty tone from the bridge pickup.

I would go to GC/SoundControl/independant Music Shop and try both and experiement with the tone you can get from each, then pick your favourite.

Jazz basses also have slimmer necks that some people prefer.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The P has a great low and mid "thump" sound to it which is a popular tone amongst punk/poppunk/ska.

I play lots of ska type basslines in my band and use a Jazz bass because I like the bitey, gritty tone from the bridge pickup.

I would go to GC/SoundControl/independant Music Shop and try both and experiement with the tone you can get from each, then pick your favourite.

Jazz basses also have slimmer necks that some people prefer.

alright thanks. yea i heard that jazz have the slimmer necks which i think ill like a lot more.

unfortunately my town sucks and the independent shop close to me doesn't carry fender.
there is a Schumacher about 30min away that im gonna try to get to this weekend
Quote by xVandals
unfortunately my town sucks and the independent shop close to me doesn't carry fender.

What kind of shops do you go to? Fender is quire possibly the most well known and popular producer of basses, and only Gibson gives them a run for their money on guitars.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
theres a Jam Music shop about 15min away and they don't carry Fender. ive asked before. other than that its the schumacher or the George's music store int west palm. which is a good 45min away. and i think its either getting shut down or already has... yea nothing great here.
Well nearly all Fender dealers will carry MIM standard basses. I think if you go to the Fender website you can get a list of dealers and find one near you.

TBH the 45 min journey will be worth it. You're looking at spending a good $450 here. You gotta be sure about this purchase.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
sell a kidney and get a stingray
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
sell a kidney and get a stingray

haha i want one so badly.

3 of my top bands use/used them. Mark Hoppus (Blink 182), Jon Gallant (Billy Talent), and most importantly Joe Escalante from The Vandals<3 used it at one point..

i love the stingrays. but im not rich..

that will be what i save up my life savings for next.