Ok I want to get a new amp, I have a gibson les paul classic with a dimarzio evo on bridge, air norton neck. I want a sound kind of like guthrie govan/john petrucci's solo work. Just a good lead tone. And a decent rythem (idk how to spell this) sound. I played the half stack at guitar center for a few minutes and thought the distortion sounded pretty nice. I was playing on a les paul studio there. Think this amp is good for me? I don't play MANY shows, and when I do, I have a mackie PA. I have a marshall mg30 now and want to take a step up. I know people are always dissin the MG's but I think the 100hdfx sounded pretty nice. thoughts? think this is good for me?
MG = mega gay...dont get it...get a mesa boogie

petrucci uses mesas, and i seriously dont think that yuu should get the mg100...its expensive AND its not that good...

a mesa will give you crystal clear clean tone and a balls to the walls distortion as well as a nice low gain overdrive

try out the f 50 or 100 if you can...those are the best
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Nov 13, 2007,
theres a lot better on the market for around the same price. try looking for a second hand valve amp or something
i was trying to look at mesa boogies on guitarcenter and musicians friend sites, why is there no mesa boogies on those sites?
Yeah, a Mark IV is so within the MG100 price range.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
MG's are good practice amps at low volumes, but because its SS, it sounds worse the louder you turn it up (like gets all feedbacky) unlike a tube Marshall.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Mesa is a pickey company about their dealers.

There are many better amps than the MG100DFX in that price range. (I wish I got paid for every time I typed that...)

If you have $600, you can get a Peavey Windsor, Valveking, Epiphone So-Cal, mabye a used Mesa F-50, used Peavey 5150/6505...there are many many better amps. Could you tell us more about what styles you play, and what tone you're looking for? We all want a "good" tone.
i really like triviums sound. there rythem sound is beast and the solos sound good too. I would really liek an amp that just has really good distortion, although i have distortion pedals if i need to use them,what companys do sell mesas?
Guitar Center will sell Mesas, just in-store only, and not online. Go to their website and look up a dealer in your state.
Quote by GuitarKid61791
i really like triviums sound. there rythem sound is beast and the solos sound good too. I would really liek an amp that just has really good distortion, although i have distortion pedals if i need to use them,what companys do sell mesas?

lol apparantly you havent heard of mesas before...that explains why you wanna get an mg...

mesa is a company it self...the name is mesa boogie...go to their webiste

http://www.mesaboogie.com/ and look up the name of amps...and also the f series is discontinued now, you have to ebay it
Quote by sum_ugly_man
lol apparantly you havent heard of mesas before...that explains why you wanna get an mg...

mesa is a company it self...the name is mesa boogie...go to their webiste

http://www.mesaboogie.com/ and look up the name of amps...and also the f series is discontinued now, you have to ebay it

I knew that mesa boogie was the company that made the amps, I'm not that dumb, I meant what company i.e. guitar center musicians friend, companies like that, sold them cause I couldn't find them on their websites.
Quote by GuitarKid61791

Ok, if you get a Mesa, please feed your distortion pedals to your dog. Or your neighbor's dog. You won't need them with a bloody Mesa.

How much are you willing to spend? You can't get a new Mesa head, much less stack, for less than a grand new, I don't think.

What I was really asking was what kind of gain are you looking for? Hi, mid, low, or cleans? I suppose you want high gain (Trivium) but try to be a little more specific.
i would like high gain. and i dont care about cleans so no worries if theres something with awesome distortion but muddy cleans. and i really dont wanna go over 600 ish. :\

and this might be a really stupid question but ive never asked anyone about it so dont make fun of me please lol. but can you get a tube head, and not use a cabinet and go straight from the line out into the PA?
^You'll be very very likely to blow out the PA's amp. Depending on which output you use. If you use the speaker out, you'll hurt something. If the amp has a dedicated Line Out jack, seperate from the speaker jacks, you'll be fine, but won't be able to hear yourself play.

This is why I'd reccomend you get a combo amp. They're more portable, cheaper, and easy to mic up with a PA. Try looking at a used Mesa F-50 or perhaps a used Peavey 5150/6505. Also, The Randall RH50 is a nice amp. All three of those are all-tube combo amps, which is a massive steup up from the MG100 you were looking at.
does anyone know what kind of head herman li uses? when he doesnt have any other stupid effects on, his sound is pretty nice.

thank you the spine surf, you helped me alot, i am going to check out some of them in the next couple days. I appreciate it! cause im a noob at amps and stuff.
Last edited by GuitarKid61791 at Nov 13, 2007,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Li

edit:completely unrelated but since when is banned (under my name) censored?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
^^No problem. Feel free to PM me after you've checked out some amps, I'm actually interested in seeing how this works out for you. Good luck! And remember, don't let anyone at GC or aywhere else cram anything down your throat.
ok thx, i really cant stand the people that work at gc >.< for 1. they always try tog et you to buy stuff when your just looking around 2. they have there stuff about 50 dollars overpriced then when you ask about it they say theyll give you a deal 3. they act like your a complete idiot

i try to buy form the local music store as much as possible
Good move, local stores are great for working with you, and establishing a relationship. Prices aren't always as good, but they get more used gear...pros and cons.
Go try out some used tube combos. I'd start with a 6505 or maybe a Marshall of some sort (I'm not much of a Marshall expert). If you're sure you don't need cleans at all, then maybe a used Windsor stack would be a good idea.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Go try out some used tube combos. I'd start with a 6505 or maybe a Marshall of some sort (I'm not much of a Marshall expert, I couldn't really tell you what the best ones for metal are). If you're sure you don't need cleans at all, then maybe a used Windsor stack would be a good idea.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ok, if you get a Mesa, please feed your distortion pedals to your dog. Or your neighbor's dog. You won't need them with a bloody Mesa.

Actually, Mesa's gain is usually only ultra thick for rhythms, for leads most guitarists prefer some sort of overdrive, even if they have a Mesa Boogie.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
A Used Peavey 5150 Combo is the perfect "good metal tone & crappy cleans" amp and is in your price range.

You'd be better off paying me $500 to kick you square in the nuts than buying the MG100HDFX.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
For once, I shall say this about the MG's....

They ARE good beginner amps. They sound ****e, but they're an easy way to get gigging. Just remember that after a while...the fan's gonna piss you off. You WILL want to upgrade not long after.

If an amp sounds good to you, and you can get a decent tone from it, then who cares.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
BTW, have anyone of you ever tried lugging around a 5150/6505 combo? I have. Ended up with a sore back. Its NOT as portable as you think.

If you want a portability, get a head and a 2x12 cab. Not a darn 85lb combo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
^I agree, my 50 watt tube Sunn weighs 75 lbs. But a halfstack is more cumbersome/bulky, and usually way more expensive, so it's all preference.

Y'know threadstarter, an MG100 is no different than an MG30, it's just bigger. It only sounded better because you were in a music store an didn't have a chance to really hear how the amp sounded.

I agree with the above suggestions, a used F-30/50 or 5150 sounds perfect for you.
Lol these names are getting so long.

Marshall MGDX2FX400WRF62NIPPLES
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by MESAexplorer
Actually, Mesa's gain is usually only ultra thick for rhythms, for leads most guitarists prefer some sort of overdrive, even if they have a Mesa Boogie.

Distortion =/= overdrive.
What! But the MG sounds totally

Slamming!

And the Overdrive is

CRUSHING!
/CENTER]
Quote by OThugSd
MG's are good practice amps at low volumes, but because its SS, it sounds worse the louder you turn it up (like gets all feedbacky) unlike a tube Marshall.

Unless you play harsh noise/drone/dark ambient.....then feedback = WIN!

But, yeah, you obviously don't want that. Get the amp with the sound you like most, try them out and see what is best for you.

It's up to what you like at the end of it.
I don't think the 5150 is a good idea for petrucci. you're going to want a more versatile amp. Perhaps the peavey JSX used?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Distortion =/= overdrive.

Cut the gain down and boost the output.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I play a JSX combo and lugging it around isn't an issue, but like Dreadnought, I'm Army Strong!
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*