Pretty soon I'm going to go look at some guitars for my first electric guitar at the store and one used. What should I be looking for. Obviously I should look for defects, warped neck ect, but what else should I look for physically and tone wise, what separates a good epiphone from a great one. Thanks in advance.
just make sure its balanced, no loose knobs, no dead frets, etc. if your not set on a solid-body you should try their semihollows too, really nice.
Price, quality, other musicians' preferences, your style of music. What do you need to know specifically, you're very vague.
I hate people. Especially black people.
with epiphone pretty much sg's go with the 400's,with les pauls anything above the special
I'm going to be looking at epiphone standards. What should I be looking at to make sure I get a decent guitar. Does that frame the question better?
make sure the tuners turn smoothly,that's very important unless you're gonna buy grovers
well no but the standard series is pretty good sounding i just havent checked the tuners,and if you're gonna do a lot of soloing get an sg(deeper cutaway,thinner neck,and on some 24 frets)
I'm not looking for a type of guitar, I've pretty much settled on an epiphone les paul standard, I'm wondering what to look for in the specific guitar.
What amp are you gonna get?
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
roland cube 30x, vox ad30vt or sumthing like dat. if u play metal get the cube or the metal version of the vox
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
the valve junior's awesome give that a try unless you play like death/black metal
You should check:
-That the neck is straight
-That the frets are even, and that there are no sharp fret edges sticking out
-That it sounds good unplugged
-That there is no noise from the pots
-That all the hardware looks OK, nothing is loose, etc.
playability and defects, tone will mostly be affected by what amp your using, and you can change the pick ups if you need to, playability is the most important thing
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Quote by xLotusx
Pretty soon I'm going to go look at some guitars for my first electric guitar at the store and one used. What should I be looking for. Obviously I should look for defects, warped neck ect, but what else should I look for physically and tone wise, what separates a good epiphone from a great one. Thanks in advance.

a Gibson.
check the frets for wear (some of mine are noticeably flatter than others), check for any buzzing frets up and down the neck. adjust the volume and tone knobs while the amp is plugged in and with a note ringing to see if they "crackle" or have any dead spots where the sound cuts out.