I recently purchased a Gibson SG-3 from Guitar Center.

First off, its an amazing guitar and sounds pretty nice despite my issue!

When I first took the guitar out of the case and started playing it unplugged, I noticed a very large amount of buzz on the E and A strings despite the Gibson checklist clearing the guitar of any buzz. There were probably 2 frets on the entire neck that did not buzz wildly. The D string buzzed quite often too, but not along the entire neck.

I took the guitar in to GC to have it setup. Afterwards, quite a bit of the buzzing was gone. The A and D strings are pretty decent (although there is slight buzz on a couple frets) and a lot of the buzzing on the E string has been removed except for around the middle of the neck (the buzzing occurs farther down the neck where the string vibrates farther distances). He also mentioned that the necked looked straight (he eyeballed it).

With that being said, I am unhappy with the action on the guitar now. He had to raise it more than I hoped for and where the action now stands is not satisfying.

He said to take it home and play on it for a week and maybe try some 9 gauge strings. If I wasn't satisfied with the buzz, I could bring it back and they would look into polishing down some bars and inspecting the rod, but he "didnt want to put that much money into such a minor problem" (jackass).

What should I do? Suck it up? Try some 9 gauge strings? Send it back in and ask for a replacement? I'm not going to let anybody mess with the bars or the rod, but for such a nice guitar I expect a level of quality.

Also, are any other SG-3 owners experiencing the same problems?
Get some new strings first, then see if the buzz is still there.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Put on new strings, low gauge strings like 9's vibrate in a larger arc and give you MORE fret buzz.

Next, either get a real luthier to setup the guitar, or return it.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Thats a shame.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
return it dont even waist your time when you pay that money!
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by hamish5178
Put on new strings, low gauge strings like 9's vibrate in a larger arc and give you MORE fret buzz.

Next, either get a real luthier to setup the guitar, or return it.

So try 11s?
Put on new strings
Adjust your own action

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The E string is nearly 3mm above the 12th fret.

(note: I measured this crudely with a tape measure and without capo-ing the first fret. And remember, there is still some buzzing going on.)
Take It To A Luthier Or Return It

edit:

Wow, I typed that as all caps (not caps lock) and it came out with only the first letters capitalized. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~