hello everyone, im in quite a situation. i want to buy the epiphone les paul junior. has one humbucker. super cheap guitar, like 100 bucks. im going to replace the humbucker in it with a guitarfetish one, have any of you heard of them, and which humbucker should i use to get green day/punk tone? should i screw in a dogear p-90 right over the hole for the humbucker to get green day tone?

also it goes out of tune every 5 minutes, i know, what type of tuners on guitarfetish.com should i use to fix this?

if any of you have suggestions it would be highly appriciated in general to upgrade the lp junior from something crappy to something like the BJ Armstrong lp junior. please and thanks,

-colin-
I've got cheap epi special. I played it through an amp once or twice with stock the humbucker but it doesnt sound half as sick as the p90 i put in it. also try and replace the tuners, or maybe a whole new neck. reason being cause mine took one slight tumble and boom boom, broke neck. i put a gibson neck on it and it feels a hell of alot better now. if you have the money to put new parts on straight away then do it. if not maybe you could hold out for a bit. but the tuners were my main problem with the guitar.

one thing though, i wish bille joe cumgobbler wasnt mentioned. if you said that you were getting it because you thought you were mick jones or johnny thunders then id like you.
I've heard bad things about the wilkinson locking tuners on there. Try some other brands for the tuners.
But yeah the locking tuners should solve the out of tune thing.

Realize it's a 99 dollar guitar, quality is not very high at all for this guitar.
If you're not dead set on this one, I would advise picking another one.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
maybe you're right i shouldnt have mentioned BILLIE joe "cumgobbler", everyone has their favorite opinions on guitarists, my favorites are zakk wylde, randy rhoads, and yes, bj armstrong. i dont know why, hes awesome.

but its not a thread for that, thank you all for replying.

if i had a gibson neck i'd definitly put it on! so its cool to slap a p-90 right over the hole for a humbucker? and that would give me punk tone? i thought it was vintage, but iunno, maybe a mean-90 will do. and can anyone say for sure what set of tuners on guitarfetish.com would work on a epi lp junior?

any suggestions on anything else are highly appriciated, thank you all!

-colin-
You can't change necks first of all as they are set necks.

Also LP Jrs have P90s in the bridges not humbuckers. Also BJ dosent use a P90 or humbucker in his. He uses a P94, it has abit more midrange and bite than a P90 and it better for punk. I would buy a Epi if you must than put in a P94, new electronics and some new Gibson machine heads
i play a varied style ranging from iggy, misfits, dolls to joydivision, sonic youth and dinosaur jr. just a few to show what im into, but playing songs by those folks comes out nicely. oh and the p90 i fitted was a dog ear one or whatever they call em.
just because you like greenday it's no reason to buy a terrible guitar. Just look for something with a decent set of p-90s. You get what you pay for on guitar fetish, if you buy pickups for $20-40 they are probably going to sound terrible. If you pay $80-100 they are going to sound decent.
Why not look into buying the Epiphone `57 reissue version? It has a P-100 pickup and sounds a little weak, but I think it's probably better for modding than the crappy beginner model. They don't make it anymore as far as I can tell, but I was able to buy mine for fairly cheap in a nice store around where I live. Here's some specs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Editon-57-Les-Paul-Jr.-Reissue-Electric-Guitar?sku=519380
Quote by kurtlives91

Also LP Jrs have P90s in the bridges not humbuckers. Also BJ dosent use a P90 or humbucker in his. He uses a P94, it has abit more midrange and bite than a P90 and it better for punk. I would buy a Epi if you must than put in a P94, new electronics and some new Gibson machine heads

1) The Epi LP Junior is a bolt-on neck. You can change it easily, depending on the neck you wish to swap in.
2) Depends on the model, some have P90s, some have Humbuckers - hell some have single coils, believe it or not. Les Paul Juniors have, over time, been fitted with more varied pickups than any other model of Les Paul.
3) Billie Joe's is an overwound double stacked P90 dubbed the 'H90', not a P94. His is essentially a humbucking P90. On stage and in the studio, he does actually use a wide range of guitars, the majority of which use humbuckers (especially JB model Seymour Duncans). So, you can easily replicate his tone if you wish with any old slightly overwound humbucker.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why are you set on this guitar? It's made of plywood.
Surprisingly - it's not!

I had the misfortune of having to upgrade one for a friend - just like this guy, she was set on having something like Billie Joe, but didn't want to pay the Gibson price tag, so she badgered me into getting an Epi one and modding it for her.

And you know what? The wood really isn't so bad. It seems to be some kind of Spruce (I'm not an expert on wood genesis so don't ask me what particular breed), and it seemed to be solid slab construction. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Granted, not as nice as mahogany, alder, maple, but it also was... 'not awful'.
Bear in mind though that she got this guitar just a few months back, and about a year ago Epi switched up their production to use better quality woods. I was not aware this had effected the Juniors, but it could explain it; older ones may certainly have inferior wood.

Addi tonally, I found the following:
- The stock tuners are actually fine. It's the bridge that is the problem.
- The cavity for the controls is a bitch to work with, and there's really no room there for any custom options, if you're thinking of adding in anything special.
- The pots are surprisingly better quality than I thought they would be too. Shame the same can't be said for the quality of the wiring job.

My advice, if you want to improve an Epi LP Junior (bearing in mind, there's a limit to just how much you can polish a turd), and get a Billie Joe esque tone?

- Replace the bridge. This is the first thing you should do. If you're feeling up to it, I'd suggest you change it to a full tune-o-matic and stopbar combo, or make it string-thru, though if you don't want to start reworking the guitar that much, just get any other Junior bridge than the stock one; it really is that bad.

- The tuners don't need replacing. Seriously. It's the bridge that's doing it. Replace the tuners if you wish, but I think you're better off saving the money for...

- Better pots. Yes, I did say earlier that the pots were better than I thought they would be. That's not saying much though, since I had very low expectations for them. You do pretty much need to get better pots.

- Pickup selection. If you want an older Green Day tone, use a Seymour Duncan JB model. If you want a newer one, you could either spring for one of the Gibson H90's, or you could get a regular humbucker which is smoother than the JB model. On my own guitars, I've made use of a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II for punk and it works fine, though it does require some EQ ****ery to get a true punk tone.
Also consider using a humbucker and bleeding off one of the soils. If you do something simple like turn the tone control to fade in/out one of the soils, and set it to about 75%, you can get a pretty nice tone out of it similar to the H90, depending on what humbucker it is of course.
Also, because the body wood isn't as dense as is used on better guitars (such as the actual BJ signature Junior), you should consider using pickups that have naturally slightly more bass response and less treble response as usual to compensate.
I should probably point out, despite all of the above, the one I used on my friend's guitar to get to a close Green Day sound is actually the Seymour Duncan P-90 Stack, essentially the same as the H90 just not as overwound. The point of using this was since the wood was giving a brighter tone anyway, using a hotter pickup would have given a far too trebly tone. That said, I think if I was doing it again, I'd rather use a SD Stag Mag humbucker and do the 25% fade off on one of the soils as I wrote above, I think it would probably end up sounding nicer.

- Most importantly, get the Junior in your hands, and play it for an hour or so first to check over exactly what needs doing. Who knows, maybe for some weird reason you'll end up liking it's stock pickup. Maybe you'll hate the tuners but love the bridge, maybe you decide you want to make it fretless, who knows. The point is, Epi's quality varies so greatly, you have to play the thing and check out it's every flaw before you start hacking it to pieces! I would hope this is just common sense, but I know so many people who have just gotten to work right away and cheated themselves out of money that way or ruined a guitar's good points while not doing a damn thing bout it's flaws because they were too lazy to check it over first.
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
hello everyone, im in quite a situation. i want to buy the epiphone les paul junior. has one humbucker. super cheap guitar, like 100 bucks. im going to replace the humbucker in it with a guitarfetish one, have any of you heard of them, and which humbucker should i use to get green day/punk tone? should i screw in a dogear p-90 right over the hole for the humbucker to get green day tone?

also it goes out of tune every 5 minutes, i know, what type of tuners on guitarfetish.com should i use to fix this?

if any of you have suggestions it would be highly appriciated in general to upgrade the lp junior from something crappy to something like the BJ Armstrong lp junior. please and thanks,

-colin-
I have one of these. It stays in tune for WEEKS. Check the way your strings are wound on the tuners, and lube that cheap plastic nut, or replace it with something better, before changing the tuners.

I'm not sure you'll have enough clearance to surface mount a P-90. MEASURE.

Also, the the HB in larger in the direction from nut to bridge. You'll have a bit of a gap showing.

Quote by kurtlives91
No, this is the cheap Chinese Epi. It's a bolt-on.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why are you set on this guitar? It's made of plywood.
It IS. It's the most horrible plywood ever. Alternating layers of wood and "playground mulch". The top and bottom plys are a bit thicker, and the wood there is respectable. I'm not certain what it is, probably birch.

But the damned thing has sustain for DAYS.
1 - Plywood doesn't seem to be the downfall here.
2 - The nut and the setup on these is horrible.
3 - Better tuners and a better pickup(s) couldn't hurt.
4 - The bridge is excellent. Changing that to a tuno and stoptail would be a mistake.

Show me a better starting point for $99 and I'll buy it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It IS. It's the most horrible plywood ever. Alternating layers of wood and "playground mulch". The top and bottom plys are a bit thicker, and the wood there is respectable. I'm not certain what it is, probably birch.

But the damned thing has sustain for DAYS.
1 - Plywood doesn't seem to be the downfall here.
2 - The nut and the setup on these is horrible.
3 - Better tuners and a better pickup(s) couldn't hurt.
4 - The bridge is excellent. Changing that to a tuno and stoptail would be a mistake.

Show me a better starting point for $99 and I'll buy it.
I seriously don't know what guitar you've been playing but it sure as hell isn't an Epi Junior.
Quote by bokuho
I seriously don't know what guitar you've been playing but it sure as hell isn't an Epi Junior.
OK then. If you ever figure it out, be sure to let me know.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by bokuho

He's been playing the 100 dollar Epi JUnior. They're ****ty as hell. You're thjinking of the '57 reissue.
And even if they are bolt-ons, good luck finding a neck that has the same heel.

The cheap Juniors I've played definitely don't sustain that much. I dunno what you're talkin' bout...Maybe yours is magical...
Why, for the love of god, would you actually want that guitar? I understand your on a budget, but the thing is made of plywood... If your looking for a guitar that is decent, cheap, and easy to upgrade, I suggest the Ibanez GRX 20. It was my first guitar, and after I got a locking nut, new tuners, a duncan custom in the bridge and a duncan pearly gates in the neck, it sounded overall better than my freinds B.C. Rich warlock NT ( approx. a 600$ guitar.)

All I mentioned above, cost me 400$.
You could also go on www.rondomusic.com and check out the sx's. Get a strat copy for a hundred bucks that is solid wood and is a good starting point for mods. Put a humbucker in the bridge and you will be set.