I'm starting to try to study keys on my own, but it's been pretty hard. The main thing I don't understand is when in a key, do you HAVE to play the notes/chords of that key a specific order? I've read some lessons that say you do, but that confuses me in the sense that wouldn't everything sound very similar in some way? Any help would be appreciated.
the thing about music is that you never HAVE to do ANYTHING in any certain way, if you dont want to. just try things out, and usually your ear will tell you whats good and whats not. if you try something thats sort of "out of key" and it sounds good, there is a way to explain it, but dont worry about it. just play what sounds good, and dont worry about keys "restricting" you to do anything... because they dont!
No rules, only theories.

Staying in key does not mean using only a set of 7 notes. Staying in key means adhering to a certain tonality and resolution.

Try this little snippet in C# major: G# - Fm - Cm7 - C#maj7
The Cm7 is out of key (G), but still sounds great in my opinion, and the piece still resolves to the C# tonic.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by icaneatcatfood
So they're essentially just guide lines then?

You could say that. Nothing in music is a rule, you don't even have to use the 12 note system if you don't want to.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation