Well, in my upcoming art class, we hav to do this project where we take a quote that means something to us, write a paper about, and then create some sort of piece that signifies that quote.

Well, for our quote we have to show the quote in context.

I thought of one of my favorite quotes, which is from Nietzsce,

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

Well, I found out that it was in his book "Twilight of the Idols", and that it's in the chapter "Maxims and Arrows", and on page 33.

The problem? I can't find the book online. I don't have any money to buy the book, my mom doesn't have it, and I need to find the context for my teacher to accept it.

So, does anyone know of a place I can find the book online, or at least find the quote in its original context?

Thanks in advance.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
buy it.
return it.
profit.

or

go to local library.
find book.
profit.

Yea, my library very well may not even have it.

I tried finding a bunch of cult classic books, like Kurt Vonnegut, William S. Burroughs, and a few other "controversial" authors, and I found nothing.

But, if I buy it, I'll keep it, because I'll probably keep longer than the return policy, because I'll whind up reading it all, be intrigued, read it again, and again, and again.

Saxo-Walrus

dude, context is how you interpret it. not how it's used to begin with. at least thats my opinion of it. if all else fails, hit the library (heaven forbid)
Quote by ortrigger
dude, context is how you interpret it. not how it's used to begin with. at least thats my opinion of it. if all else fails, hit the library (heaven forbid)

Yea, I know what context is, but I was saying I have to have the original context in the way that the author meant it, then how I interpret it, and how I feel about it.

And read my above post about the library.

They very may well have it, but I doubt it.

Saxo-Walrus

You can try a torrent site for it. Too bad Demonoid got shut down, or you could've tried a search there.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Pirate it? Surely there's a torrent for it somewhere. I've got books off torrents before.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
buy it.
return it.
profit.

or

go to local library.
find book.
profit.

It is inevitable, I will always laugh when I read profit anywhere.
Quote by darkstar2466
You can try a torrent site for it. Too bad Demonoid got shut down, or you could've tried a search there.

Try textbook torrents, they specialize in books [/redundant]
MASSIVE EDIT:

NEVERMIND!!!

I DID find it.

Thanks, julio.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Nov 13, 2007,
OK I searched on google for "twilight of the idols" and the first result is the entire book.

"33 How little is required for pleasure! The sound of a bagpipe. Without music, life would be an error. The German imagines that even God sings songs."

that is the way it is translated there.. and you aren't going to likely find it in two different places the same way... as it is up to the translator and interpretor to decide how his words go best from original German to English.

edit: FFS.. :S
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
I just looked it up myself, they have every Nietzsche book, I would recommend using Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil or The Antichrist for your project.
Fun Sized edit: You're welcome
Quote by julio1987
I just looked it up myself, they have every Nietzsche book, I would recommend using Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil or The Antichrist for your project.
Fun Sized edit: You're welcome

Yea, as soon as I posted that, I found the book in the list. I just looked over by accident like 3 times.

And, yea, I'm not downloading the whole 1GB torrent, so I'm just downloading all of the Nietzsche and "The Communist Manifesto", since I've never read it before.

Gotta love philosophy.

And, Thursdae, thanks, anway. Much appreciated.

Saxo-Walrus

No problem man.. I've always had trouble reading Nietzsche since I don't know German.. and most of his writing is (so I've heard) amazing because it is in rhyme or other poetic-like phrases. but good luck anyway.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm