I've been playing on and off for a few years. Just now have I realized power chords don't do much at all, so i'm attempting to become more advanced of a player. Along with that, I cannot rely on only my index and middle finger, i need to use the others to make chords, hit the other notes, etc.

And i've found I can't do this. These fingers are two weak. Would a Gripmaster do me any good? And yes, I do have a lot of freetime in school.
ive been wondering the same thing- I might get one if they're any good
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I was considering buying one of these a while back. I didn't. I realized that the best way to build up your strength is just to play. I know...you probably already knew this, but trust me I know. I have cerebral palsy, and I love to play acoustic guitar, it's a challenge for my left hand to form the chords, but after time, I get it.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Just stretch your fingers. Get the guitar and put the back of the fret board in between two fingers, and if you don't have a guitar just bend and move your weak fingers about.
Yeah, I noticed that. That stopped me from going ahead and ordering it. I already searched the forum, and really, noone asked if it was worthwhile, just what strength they should get.
If you are set on something like this, I have a cheap idea. Use a rubber-band for resistance and you can "exercise" that way.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
I actually had one. I saw no improvement with anything to be honest. I would use it in class when writing notes, when commuting or just at home whenn relaxing or something. I found no real difference in finger strength and imo it was a waste of $15 that I could have used towards another cable at the time. I have since given it away to a friend of mine who enjoys it.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Mar 10, 2008,
they work... but its better to just play and practice, its the best way to build up strength and flexibility, ect.
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

I think control and flexibility are more important than strength

You barely have to touch a string to get it to sound if you're set up right.
Well if you're trying to stretch your fingers, you could stick a ping pong ball between them, but that isn't 100% guaranteed to work, or end well.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by teachmyself
I was considering buying one of these a while back. I didn't. I realized that the best way to build up your strength is just to play. I know...you probably already knew this, but trust me I know. I have cerebral palsy, and I love to play acoustic guitar, it's a challenge for my left hand to form the chords, but after time, I get it.

I completely agree and was in the same situation
mmm i also want to know if they work becaue i have like 3 injuries in my fingers , could it work for rehabilitation???
also with the bends my med finger hurt so bad... sooo idk if i should buy
I have two gripmasters i keep in my car. Thier only real benefit is for those that
already can play well and want to focus on specific strengthening. When you can't
tell the difference between what needs real finger strength and what is an
illusion of needed finger strength because you're fighting excess tension, they
will do you nearly 0 good (and possibly hurt yourself). Most things on guitar require
accuracy and skill, not strength.