What's your budget? Ideally, you'd want a very comfortable guitar that won't stop you from playing. Very good guitars start at around $500. If you are less sure about playing, then $200 to 300 will buy you decent ones that you can upgrade later. I'd highly recommend going for a fixed bridge guitar at the start, since your top priority is to play, not worry about tuning. The Epiphone G-400, Ibanez RG321, Schecter Omen 6's, Agiles, and ESP LTD 50-series guitars fit this part of the budget. However, do not buy guitars on the Internet unless 1) You have played them, or 2) You know the return policy in case it is crap. It is essential to try out amps and guitars since you'll avoid unpleasant surprises and also will know what features you want in a future guitar.

At the same time, you want a good tone, so you should allocate at least $200 to 300 for an amp or good multi-effects (if you have sensitive neighbors or parents).
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 13, 2007,
If Ur Barley Starting You Shouldnt Get Such An Expensive Guitar...and U Should No Wat Kind Of Music U Want 2 Play...pff My First Guitar Was Cheaper Than Cheap..it Was A Starcaster Not A Stratocaster A Starcaster..i Got 1 Of Those Packs That Comes With An Amp And Stuff
If Ur Barley Starting You Shouldnt Get Such An Expensive Guitar...and U Should No Wat Kind Of Music U Want 2 Play...pff My First Guitar Was Cheaper Than Cheap..it Was A Starcaster Not A Stratocaster A Starcaster..i Got 1 Of Those Packs That Comes With An Amp And Stuff
Guitar Hero 2 =/= Real Guitar

The transfer will be harder than you think.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by SIRxHAOS

Turn Off Ur Caps Lock!!!

Why is TS's username bazaarofchina and why does he have a banner ad for Bazaar of China at the bottom of his post? Does anyone else think that's strange?
Just run down to local music store and buy a starter pack, ive seen them recently for around $300 to $400. they come with a guitar, amp and all you need to get yourself starter.
When you start out don't worry about how it sounds. As with guitars you get what you pay for. Just practice, practice, practice, after a while when you start to improve get yourself something better.
That is so stupid ,you want to play guitar cause you like guitar hero...These people on this site want to play guitar cause for most of them and me guitar is our lives and we have a strong love for it and you want to play cause you can play Jordan?FYI dude just don't even start cause within 1 a month your going to drop it ,so don't waste your time, our time, and your money.

I'm sorry if this offenses anyone but that how I feel.
Last edited by Cannibalwolf at Nov 13, 2007,
well my first guitar was a 100$ 'Pignose'( which i bought at costo) and it has last me forever. I mean this thing has a FATTY neck, which sucks, BUT it does help strech your fingers a bit. and just this last few monthes ive been using a friends Squire and i can fly around it alot faster after the pignose....................... So.....hmmmmmmmm

ok, **** the pignose GET A FENDER SQUIRE, i think it is about 200$$$
You might be best off getting an acoustic, to be honest.....plenty of inexpensiveused acoustics out there......
Quote by Cannibalwolf
That is so stupid ,you want to play guitar cause you like guitar hero...These people on this site want to play guitar cause for most of them and me guitar is our lives and we have a strong love for it and you want to play cause you can play Jordan?FYI dude just don't even start cause within 1 a month your going to drop it ,so don't waste your time, our time, and your money.

i have to agree here, Guitar Hero is nothing like real guitar....you cant magicaly go from 'Woman' to 'Free Bird' or 'Six' in a couple of trys, it can take a year at least to reach new skill levels, and they are COMPLETELY different. For example, I can play 'Number of the Beast'{GH3} on real guitar, but i suk balls at it on GH expert, allong with welcome to the jungle, knights of cydonia, and some other songs.