I'm just starting this song. I'm going to base it on that idea. I'm sort of sure that it's prog rock but whatever, I think it sounds cool. PLEASE GIVE TIPS!
Attachments:
Prog maybe.zip
Last edited by dervishguitar at Nov 13, 2007,
What do you mean prog 'maybe'? You clearly set out to make this prog. Tried too hard to put in loads of different time signatures and make it as 'prog' as possible. There's far too many people on here that do that.

Aside from your franky frustrating intentions, it's pretty dull. Since the song is basically all about melody, there was nothing that stood out to me at all. The clean section was quite cool, and the only place where the 5/4 time was really necessary. Remember that you don't have to make separate tracks for the clean and distorted guitars, you can just change between sounds on the same two guitar tracks using the mix table.

There wasn't much of an ending either. It was alright and there weren't any errors per se but you certainly need to stop trying to be progressive and just write music. If it turns out progressive, great but don't start off by chucking in random time signatures because it just doesn't work.

(Return crit link's in my sig, sorry if that was a little harsh )
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Nov 14, 2007,
i think duncang was a little too harsh. i just listened without watching the tab and the time signatures sounded fine to me. whether they were completely necessary or not is not my decision. i personally liked your riffs and guitar stuff, and i agree the clean section was pretty cool. but the ending needs work so that the song actually ends. maybe add some bass too.

but in response to the "trying too hard to make it prog" thing, i think, like he said, you should stop writing songs for a certain genre and just write what's in your head. most of the time, it will naturally shape into what you wanted in the first place anyway.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
duncang: I think that you don't know what you are talking about when you say that something "doesn't work". It's all in the context. Is a song too repetative or too dull? Look at lounge music, repetative music works tranquilizing in a nice way.
5/4 don't work? That's like you'd say 4/4 don't work. 5/4 is nothing special anymore (except when you don't listen to different music).
Too many people who use different time signatures? So why is your Eclipse sounding as everything else?

I think that you are biased by the things OP wrote and don't let the music do the talking.

Sorry for my harsh response, but calling music "good" or "bad" is unlogical in our times.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Quote by Philipp Sobecki
duncang: I think that you don't know what you are talking about when you say that something "doesn't work". It's all in the context. Is a song too repetative or too dull? Look at lounge music, repetative music works tranquilizing in a nice way.
5/4 don't work? That's like you'd say 4/4 don't work. 5/4 is nothing special anymore (except when you don't listen to different music).
Too many people who use different time signatures? So why is your Eclipse sounding as everything else?

I think that you are biased by the things OP wrote and don't let the music do the talking.

Sorry for my harsh response, but calling music "good" or "bad" is unlogical in our times.

Yawn. I'll go through this bit by bit. I say something doesn't work simply because it sounds overly awkward (and yes, I know that can be the intention with some pieces but I don't think that was what was going on in a piece this melodic). Lounge music is repetitive because it is not usually actively listened to, more background or relaxtion music. You can't write a prog rock song and then say it's a good prog rock song based on what makes good lounge music, that's just stupid.

I am in no way suggesting that any of the time signatures used in the song do not function in any situation. 5/4 can be a very powerful count when it's used in the right way, but in this piece it isn't. That's why it doesn't work in this song. You seem to be misreading what I said completely thus far. I did not say that using a lot of different time signatures in a song is a bad thing. It's when the composer writes in them just for the sake of using them, or indeed to seem 'progressive'. Your comment on Eclipse needs some rephrasing before I can actually understand what on earth you were trying to say.

I'm certainly allowed to be biased by what the composer (if that's indeed who 'OP' is ) says. How the musician presents their music is very important. For example, if you found a metalcore band who used very melodic singing sections and octave chords a lot, and they called themselves death metal, you would not take them seriously and even if their music was great you would fault them for calling themselves death metal. Sure, the piece in question is a prog rock song, but it's been contrived to be so, and the very forced use of alternating meters is testament to that.

'Our times' have not changed the concepts of good or bad in an individual's opinion. I'm perfectly entitled to say that the song was bad (though it wasn't all that bad). I'm not stating it as fact because it's nothing more than what I think of the song.

And finally, sort out your grammar (and use real words, I mean, 'unlogical'?) if you want to make points.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I absolutely loved it. Reminded me of The Fall of Troy. It would sound great if you'd record it. The whole thing was excellent, imo.
I'm a person.