Call me a noob or what have you, but this has intrigued me for the longest time, and I think I'm ready to give it a shot.

There is this effect I guess, or technique I suppose, sounds sort of like the notes are being played backwards, strung out sort of.

In some of Frusciante and The Beatles (so far as I know).

At 00:25, the sound I'm speaking of starts. (falling by frusciante)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=12pKwUJsV-0

and here sort of halfway through the song? Part of the solo too I guess. (i'm only sleeping by the beatles)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E60-SrBLilw

So my question is, what is this called and how exactly is it done? I'm pretty positive that it's just reversed, but I'd like to be sure. I'd like to experiment with it.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
from ur description it sounds like reverb and the majority of amps have it. the vids wont load cause im on a ****ty pc now.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Sounds like the note is being played and the volume starts low and slowly gets louder.
from what TSelman describes it's just volume swelling.

U play a note with the volume down and turn it up gradually after u played the note. U can do it using the volume knob on ur guitar or a volume pedal.

EDIT: Frusciante's using a delay pedal set on reverse.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well, the Beatles literally recorded it backwards. Played it normally, inversed the tape, learned the inverse guitar bit, then recorded it again. There ya go, the original guitar bit with a unique sound. Can't speak for the other guy, though.

It's almost solely a studio effect, though some delay pedals have an inverse delay that does pretty much the same thing.
Yup. Reverse Delay. If you lookin to do that cheaply, theres a Digitech Delay pedal that has multiple functions, including reverse delay. Cant remember the model name....but its a silver pedal.

Also....ill mention.....~Volume Swells~....for the hell of it, because some people mistake volume swells for reverse delay.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Well, I don't know much, but I can achieve a somewhat similar effect using the Slow Gear effect on my pedal...
Doesn't sound that good (since it's not meant for this), but may be useful if you want to experiment a bit...
Wow, I got a better response than I had figured.

Thank you muchly guys
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Will this give you the same effect as the interlude in Metallica's "My Friend of Misery" ?