I heard that Daron Malakian (plus a bajillion other people) use this pedal.
It's apparently one of Boss' best distortion pedals, and it kicks ass.

The thing is, I really worry about trusting reviews on this website - they're often a bit here and there.

So, should I get an MT-2? Is it actually good?

Or is it a piece of overrated junk?

(depending on the answers, I might buy one today )

Molto bene grazie.
I love mine

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
so you dont trust reviews on this site.. yet you ask the forums?
you /do/ realize most of the reviewers are also pit dwellers/forum junkies right?

dumbass
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Clever of you to call me a dumbass.

I never said I didn't trust them. It just seems to me that sometimes reviews can be biased, or wrong. And rest assured, I hate you and hope you die soon, poe.
I like the MT-2 its a great Hi-Gain digital Distortion pedal....u can get alot of different HI-GAIN sounds form it b/c the EQ system is great. its much better than any other HIGAIN pdeal ive used. but it cant recreate that warm tube distortion like the Blues driver. Just try it out...also what sound for distortion did u want?
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
We play Alternate-Metal, loose sorta Nu-Metal...

...think along the lines of SOAD.
Daron Malakian uses one.

Would that suit our sound?
eeek, i think it's a terrible pedal and many will agree. if you're just starting out, it's bad tone might not be so evident. it's very tinny, buzzy, and just lifeless. i was left with it and my valve junior and i couldn't find a decent tone after 10 minutes of tweaking.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well, I'm not really starting out - if it sounds ****, I'd probably notice it quickly.

If it's so terrible, as UG says:

1. Why is it Boss' best selling pedal?
2. Why do so many famous musicians use them?
3. Why won't the local council let me have a piggy in my yard?
well the MT-2 is gonna sound like **** when u compare it to the Mesa boogie you have "UnsignedRecords" its ment to stand only on a clean chanell...yes it can be noisy but that why they have Equalizer, and compression pedals :p and if i know gibson your probably talking about the 60 cycle hum noise. I think the MT-2 might be what your going for that SOAD sound...but a good MESA AMP like the Dual Rectifier should be all u need...maybe a MXR Big Muff Pie for added control
1960 Lead Cab-B
almost any guitarist who's just starting out and plays metal have probably tried this pedal. I did. It sounded good back then. But 5 years later, after my ears have somewhat developed, the MT2 just doesnt cut it. Sounds like a nasally buzz.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
So, if you check my other thread 'The Malakian Sound', is an MT-2 what he uses to achieve that sound I mention in that?
if ppl are ragging on the MT-2 so much...they should recommend another pedal...possibly a betetr one for the sound that "MentalityBand" wnats to achieve
1960 Lead Cab-B
Quote by CommBreakDown
if ppl are ragging on the MT-2 so much...they should recommend another pedal...possibly a betetr one for the sound that "MentalityBand" wnats to achieve

Metal muff. Happy?

What amp do you have?

Muffs seem to be uber expensive here in Aus, but its only 30-40 bucks more than a Metal Zone, and it's a lot better.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I don't know what I use for gigs (not my department. lots of huge 7 foot tall things) but for jams I use a Marshall VS100.
Metal muff for sure then. They go for about $140 2nd hand. I have a modded one for sale if your interested.
Quote by kyrreca
When you mention about the MT-2,people will tell you to get Metal Muff.And trust them,the metal muff is superior compared to the MT-2
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
i have TWO on my board giving about 50-55 percent of my dirty sounds. yeah, theyre modded. my amp does have the ability to make most pedals sound amazing, but still i love the sound they give me. had money in hand, chose my current setup over an old superlead, a diezel vh4, an slo, and a whole slew of these high end amps that would have most of you lost and scratching your heads.

i must say, im very amused when people run through my pedalboard, grinning and gasping all over the place, and just come to a halt when their eyes reach those two, then look at me like im crazy. its quite funny.
Quote by TehJermie
i have TWO on my board giving about 50-55 percent of my dirty sounds. yeah, theyre modded. my amp does have the ability to make most pedals sound amazing, but still i love the sound they give me. had money in hand, chose my current setup over an old superlead, a diezel vh4, an slo, and a whole slew of these high end amps that would have most of you lost and scratching your heads.

i must say, im very amused when people run through my pedalboard, grinning and gasping all over the place, and just come to a halt when their eyes reach those two, then look at me like im crazy. its quite funny.

You should pretty much post pics of your board. Now
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by Cofflecakes
You should pretty much post pics of your board. Now

but its a secret

i got tape over almost all of my pedals
i had a mt-2 and i loved it when i was young and didn't know ***t about tone. now i have a metal muff i must say its a1489237593487 times better than the MT-2. Try the MI AUDIO Crunch Box, thats supposed to be good as well
Sigs are too hard to think up
Its terrible, like bees in a tin.

Its thin, fizzy, doesnt cut through the mix and sounds crap in general

Famous artists do not use it, they just say they do because they may have had it in their pedal board for a little while when not so famous, why do Boss say they do? to con young newbie guitarists in to thinking its a good pedal, this is also why its one of the best selling, because every newbie guitarist always seems to want to play heavy, uber saturated gained-out metal or rock....the mt-2 does not deliver this, instead it gives you bleeding ears.
Quote by Hakanku
Its terrible, like bees in a tin.

Its thin, fizzy, doesnt cut through the mix and sounds crap in general

Famous artists do not use it, they just say they do because they may have had it in their pedal board for a little while when not so famous, why do Boss say they do? to con young newbie guitarists in to thinking its a good pedal, this is also why its one of the best selling, because every newbie guitarist always seems to want to play heavy, uber saturated gained-out metal or rock....the mt-2 does not deliver this, instead it gives you bleeding ears.

someone hasnt played one of monte's mods
Quote by TehJermie
but its a secret

i got tape over almost all of my pedals

Secrets are what tears this world apart, like a tornado in an american trailer park (or so film references seem to tell me)
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by Cofflecakes
Secrets are what tears this world apart, like a tornado in an american trailer park (or so film references seem to tell me)

sorry, im an asshole like that. i alone shall know my own gear 100%. techs and bandmates are no exception.

edit: trailer parks being torn apart by twisters are hilarious.
i know, im terrible.
See; half say the MT-2 is a pile of crap, others say it's pretty good.

It's a big, irritating paradox that so many well-known guitarists praise it, and people like Hakanku ramble on about how awful it is.
While you may have a point that many guitarists may 'fake' saying they have it, I searched up some videos on the net. Clips of Daron Malakian, some guy who looks like he's in something like SlipKnot, and a bunch of other people I can't remember CLEARLY using them.

I think I may get one, if not just to try one out.

Let me look up this 'Metal Muff' first...it sure has a charming name
i say mt-2 is awesome but you see tone is all off a matter of oppion.
ive learnt not to ask about a pedal or a guitar cos other peoples oppions
can just make you think its rubbish too!
mate is say try it out ...if you like it buy it
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
I mean, how could we not take somebodies advice that owns a spider AND a digitech metal master?!

Wow I sound like an asshole up there...

To put it simply, the metal muff retains more clarity at high gain levels, there is more useable gain, better EQ controls, better bypass and just plain better tone. For the same price (for you americans anyway) I cannot see WHY anybody would want a stock metal zone.
Quote by kyrreca
Fizzzzzzz

Thats all I can say about it.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string