A while back i bought a Hondo double cutaway neck through Les Paul for like 60-70 bucks, or something. Thought it would make an awesome guitar. I finally got a matching bridge for it - installed a TonePros bridge. Yum.
Okay, here's a mockup of what i have going on:

That's pretty much what it looks like. I didn't know you could choose to not use a gradient behind the guitar. Anyhoo, it's pretty much like that, but with a mahogany veneer over the headstock, and no neck binding. No pickups right now. The guitar is mahogany - maple- mahogany - curly maple - mahogany - maple - mahogany.

And yes, these DC LP's were a pain in the ass to make in Kisekae. They don't offer the model, much less show options for striped neck thru sections...Oh, also, this LP is not a carved top. Flat, flat, flat...

Here's what I'm thinking:

refinished in Pelham blue. I don't know where to get this color, but it looks stunning! Mayhaps, reranch.com has it, but their site is on the fritz right now. So yeah, Pelham Blue with a gloss over it...maybe a matte...but a nice glassy finish looks secksi, right?
I was thinking of putting something like a chrome covered Seymour Duncan SH-14 humbucker in the bridge, after I change out my SG's pickups...and maybe putting a GFS Mean 90 in the neck, for some kind of bastardly guitar. I'd like to try direct mounting the pickups, so i can see the difference.
The color I created in Kisekae doesn't do the finish I want justice. Here's what I want it to look like:
http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/news/easton300.gif

teh bastardly El-Pee:
- 22 Frets
- my old Seymour Duncan SH- 14, GFS Mean 90 in the neck
- 24.75" Scale
- 4 controls, 3-way Toggle, one DPDT mini-toggle (2 volumes, 2 tones, Series/Split/Parallel toggle?)
- Neck through construction

How does that sound?

My thoughts/questions:

- Has anyone used GFS Mean 90's before? How are they?
- Does reranch offer Pelham Blue? I believe the slightly darker Fender equivalent is Lake Placid Blue?
- What should the control scheme be? You'll notice 2 volumes, 2 tones...and a mini-toggle, and a 3 way switch. What should I do?
- Lastly, not shown here would be the neck joint for the guitar. It's a neck through, but I feel like the heel could be a little less obtrusive...I'll upload pics soon to show what I'm working with...
- Do direct mount pickups make a difference??

Comments? Suggestions?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 15, 2007,
i like the mean 90's they have good solid warm tone! great with cleans and distortions.... but seriously that is a sweet guitar! i hope it comes out awesome!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
and in the middle, a lipstick tube that's independent from the two humbuckers, and able to be switched on with a toggle switch... right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yep! well i OWNED a set... but i gave that guitar to a friend as a gift...it was a cheap les paul junior...and i upgraded it for him! i loved them! get them they are amazing!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Since ReRanch sells Fender and Gibson colors, find the nearest Fender equivalent on this official Fender Color Chart.

Also, before doing any refinishing, make sure that it's intonated properly, has the correct string height, no bowing, the tuners work fine or install the upgrades ... beats having to be all wary about dinging or scratching the new paintjob.

Get all your supplies, parts, tools before starting off, too ... so you can get into the groove vs. getting frustrated while waiting for a part.

Good Luck!

^Already brought the guitar into a shop, and they checked stuff like the scale length, and the neck's status, and stuff. Since there's no pickups, I didn't see the point in gettin' the guitar intonated or anything...I'll worry about that stuff afterwards. Easy enough to do, anyway.
And yeah, i was told Lake Placid Blue, though Blue Agave looks more like it..
Direct mount, ftw.

Maybe this will encourage me to finish my Saga Tele .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Hahaha. Yeah, i'm just trying to figure out how to compensate for the volume/output difference. An SH-14 will most certainly be louder than a Mean 90. I can use a spring...or tubing...but...Read below.

Does EVH...directly mount his pickup? Like, no spring, no compressible tubing, just bolted on there?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 14, 2007,
I'm almost positive he does.
I never really gave direct mounting much thought, never really thought there'd be a tone difference...
But that color looks pretty nifty! As for the electronics, how bout getting some push-pulls for series/parrallel switching for each pickup and use the mini switch for phase switching?
I was thinking about using the toggle with an ON/ON/ON switch, for a Series/Split/Parallel, then using a push/pull for a phase switch.

I dunno if there's a tone difference with direct mounting, and I probably won't notice the difference, since this would have more sustain then my SG, anyway - what with the neck-through-ness.

I got the idea for the color from the Gibson Custom Shop Elliot Easton SG, and the Trini Lopez Gibby, and Dave Grohl's "inspired by" model. Just loved the color.
that blue is amazing!!!!
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
i thik there is a tonal difference or a sustain difference, im not sure. Nice blue tho, and Reranch only sells certain fender colors. So maybe some Lake Placid Blue and some white or something to lighten/darken it. I love the color tho, its awesome. But i would leave the top with the stripes in it. I really like it like that, but the blue is awesome as well. Pretty much any Bareknuckles are good.
Quote by Ippon
Has anybody not seen http://www.guitarworld.com/article/eddie_van_halen_on_recreating_frankenstein ?

Do it trial and error, direct mount then with springs, see if there's a major difference in tone.

Yeah, I guess I could....I'm just lazy.

Well, it'll technically be "direct mount" like most guitar manufacturers do it. Which means, to the body, but with springs.
The other method I want to try is just straight to the body, maybe with a nut on the screw for the bridge pickup, to raise it up a tiny bit. Or maybe thread a nut to the pickup, so that the screws just just straight up determine the height of the pickup.
Looks good. I dont like the flat "baby-blue" color, but i do like the metallic color man. We doing this at my place? I love the color though, and the chrome and black stuff will make it look gnarly. Im down for anything. WOOT! WERE GOING STREAKING!
Quote by forsaknazrael
And yes, these DC LP's were a pain in the ass to make in Kisekae. They don't offer the model, much less show options for striped neck thru sections...Oh, also, this LP is not a carved top. Flat, flat, flat...

teh bastardly El-Pee:

Yes, they were a bit difficult to do, but I did just that, for the contest.

I thought I had a lovely design but the guy who was running the contest didn't even include mine, even though it was submitted prior to the deadline for submission, and others submitted their entries after mine.

I took mine down from the thread after that, never to be seen again on UG.

It had a different bridge, Keystone tuners, P-90 at the neck, covered HB at the bridge,
and (yes, ECistheBest) a lipstick in the middle.

5-way switch, single volume and tone.

and it was called the SYK Bastard.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yes, they were a bit difficult to do, but I did just that, for the contest.

I thought I had a lovely design but the guy who was running the contest didn't even include mine, even though it was submitted prior to the deadline for submission, and others submitted their entries after mine.

I took mine down from the thread after that, never to be seen again on UG.

It had a different bridge, Keystone tuners, P-90 at the neck, covered HB at the bridge,
and (yes, ECistheBest) a lipstick in the middle.

5-way switch, single volume and tone.

and it was called the SYK Bastard.

Haha. I love bastardly guitars. My SG has a zebra neck pickup with a solid black bridge pickup, for no reason.
You should definitely post yours again...
Hey john, what program do you use to get that pic of the guitar with all of the hardware you want? You posted the first pics of the blue double LP you have like that.
^they don't have double cut LP models tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard