first off let me say iv read into it and have some idea how they work. But most sites i have read, say that the first note played in a song, is the key it is in,But once again i find that alot of the songs don't match up and when i work out all the notes from lets say a tab or something about half of the notes arn't in the key,so long story short. this is really screwing me up right now, so how the hell do i get figure out the key? some help is in great need.
No, that isn't true. The first note of the song is not the key. But it can be a guide to finding the key of the song. I can start my song on a G, but the song could be in the key of A minor. Generally, what you want to do is look at the chords being used in the song, and from there figure out the key (excluding accidentals and passing tones).

For example, if my chords are:

Am Em Cmaj

I would be in the key of A minor.

If my chords are:

Dmaj Bm Fmaj

I would be in the key of E minor.

It is good to learn the Circle of Fifths . It will help you out a great deal.
Last edited by Mud Martian at Nov 14, 2007,
I don't know where that "first note of the song" thing comes from, but I've heard that as well. Although it is right in some instances, it's nowhere near a rule, and generally, it's bad advice. If anything, you should look at the last note of the song, not the first. However, this doesn't tell you if it's major or minor, or if it's in a certain mode, and not all songs end on the root either.

The best way to identify a key, is to identify the notes used, and arrange them in order. Ie E F# G A B C# D - These are the notes of D major. Of course, it can get a little more complicated; key signatures change, accidentals get thrown in, etc. But this is the best starting point.

EDIT: to the guy above me - Am Em Cmaj could also be E minor/G major

Dmaj Bm Fmaj are not in any particular key, because D major has an F#, and F major obviously doesn't.
Last edited by kyrreca at Nov 14, 2007,
The first note does not always apply, look at your key signature, if it has 1 sdharp then its in G major or E minor.

Learn the circle of fifths
Quote by bikersbasin
The first note does not always apply, look at your key signature, if it has 1 sdharp then its in G major or E minor.

Learn the circle of fifths

thanks man, but i know the circle, i can spell out every major or minor key by heart and i look for sharpend and flattend notes in the song to tell me what it is, but still i end up in the same place, besides what good is the key if i have the learn all the notes just to figure it out? wouldn't i already have learned the song thus making the key useless for me? like i thought it was to help you learn songs by ear but obviously its not helping me. any more advice?
Quote by HeavyMetal1988
thanks man, but i know the circle, i can spell out every major or minor key by heart and i look for sharpend and flattend notes in the song to tell me what it is, but still i end up in the same place, besides what good is the key if i have the learn all the notes just to figure it out? wouldn't i already have learned the song thus making the key useless for me? like i thought it was to help you learn songs by ear but obviously its not helping me. any more advice?

Not if you want t improvise in it, if you want to improvise in it you know that G major & E minor are the scales.

Also particularly helpful when writing songs